0 comments

Kids

Christmas season has its way with children. They are always hyper and overly excited about everything. All decked up in their brand new Christmas clothes and new hairstyles, fancy rubber wristwatches and colourful glasses. Darren was dressed in one of his new Christmas clothes, jeans short and a red tshit with and inscription: Mummy's Heartbreak. He also had on a red sneakers and a bright yellow glasses that matched his fancy wristwatch. He held Mummy's hands as they walked to the Christmas village recently set in the neighboorhod park. They were going to meet Uncle Dipo and the other kids, who had left earlier to visit some of their family members before going to the park. He was really excited because Mummy had promised him he could play and run around on his own without.

As soon as they all met up, Darren and Kene raced to the bouncing castle "guys don't get too dirty o please," Mummy called after them "we still have to take pictures before we go to the movies." The boys had a great time bouncing around and playing with other kids. Darren was playing by the Carousel when Darren spotted a lady talking to Uncle Dipo, his Mummy and the other kids were no where in sight while was Kene was on the swing. They seemed to be having an intense conversation, so he ran up to Uncle Dipo to find out who she was.

"Hello Uncle Dipo." He said when he got there, then turn to the lady and said, "Good afternoon Ma." but he got no response from her.

"Hey D." Uncle Dipo said and he took Darren's hand in his. "Folake meet Darren. He is my girlfriend's son." The lady Folake looked taller than Mummy and she was just as fair. She had a lot of make up on and had her hair packed in a ponytail. Darren could tell that she was beautiful even though she wasn't smiling.

"Na wa o Dipo." She said. Darren her voice sounded a bit melodious but the tone had anger, he moved closer to Uncle Dipo. He decided he didn't like the beautiful woman was called Folake. "She even has a son." She continued. "I was just taken by surprise when I heard that you've moved on so soon. Na wa sha. You didn't think it was right to inform me or give me a heads up. I had to hear from people who thought we were still together"

"Folake please don't do this abeg. We parted ways amicably." Uncle Dipo said. "Oh! there she is!" He sighted Mummy coming towards them, Folake didn't borther to look back nor take Mummy's hands when it was extended to her in introduction. She looked at Mummy from her head to her toes then head again before hissing loudly and walking away. Mummy and Uncle Dipo laughed and Darren joined in, though he could barely understand why they were laughing.

Mummy gave him a burger and a coke from the bag she came back with. As he ate he heard Uncle Dipo explaining to Mummy: "That's the Folake I told you about o. You have seen her wahala for yourself first hand."

"Asin eh. Dipo your choices sha." They both laughed "you should thank God everyday for me. She sha sounds angry as if you still owe her some explanations."

"Lie lie, Nsidibe that one will not happen." Uncle Dipo responded. "That is An Old Road, never to be walked on again. I owe her no explanation. We fell apart and seperated amicably. I have moved on and yes, thank God I met you." Then he said to Darren. "Darren, please go and find Kene, see Romoke and Onyi coming back. We need to leave soon."

***************************

That night voices woke Darren up from his sleep. He was certain one was Mummy's voice, but the other two he wasn't so sure. When he fell asleep it was just Mummy and Nanny that were at home. Darren thought the two other voices belong to his Grandma and Aunty Janet, his father's sister. But if it were their voices, why did it sound like they fighting, he never heard Grandma's voice sound this upset. He tiptoed out of his room and hid behind the door to the living room, where he could hear without being seen.

"Mama, that is the Old Ways." He heard Mummy saying. "Things are not done that way anymore."

"It is not old ways. He is my Grandson and he belongs with my family. You have no right." Grandma replied.

"Well he is my son. So I have the final say about all of this. I have all the rights."

"See eh, Nsidibe." He heard Aunty Janet say "Traditionally sef, this boy should not have grown up with you. You have spoilt him sef" Then she directed her next words to Grandma. "Mama, I warned you then when she had the baby, but you refused to take him from her, that she needed him for comfort. Now see comfort na."

"Janet my daughter, you don see am na" Grandma answered. "See where my kind gesture has led me."

"Kind what?" Mummy interjected, laughing and clapping. "I wouldn't have let you have him then and now I still won't let you have him. I'm ready to go to court."

"Court ke?!" Aunty Janet scream. "You must be mad Nsidibe. Don't forget this boy has my brother's name o."

"Which I gave him out of courtesy for Mama and the love I have for his father. Now I am marrying Dipo and he and I are taking Dipo's name."

"Over my dead body o!" Grandma shouted, her voice had a hint of cry. "Over my dead body! You want to give my blood to another man? Tufiakwa!! Aluu!! Marry him all you want but not with my grandson."

"Mama, I say this girl has gone mad." Aunty Janet added. "We are hear saying give us the boy to leave with us and you're saying he is taking another man's name." She laughed maliciously.

"His name is Darren, Janet, Darren. He is my son. He is not going with you or with mama or anyone else. Now please the both of you have overstayed your welcome please leave." Darren quickly tiptoed to his room, he knew Mummy would come there after they left. He couldn't understand why Grandma would want to take him away from his Mummy. He loved her but he would never prefer to be with her over Mummy and Uncle Dipo. He laid down back on his bed and faced the wall, awaiting her entrance. Then he heard her by the door of his room, she was on phone, he guessed she was talking to Uncle Dipo.

"You can't imagine Mama and her old ways of doing things o. She wants to take Darren away from me. All these years of sacrifice and they think I will let him go? I will take them to court." She was quiet for a while listening to the person on the other side of the line. "No wahala. I will see you in the morning. Thanks. Love you too." Then she opened the door and walked into his room. She must have thought he was still asleep. She sat down beside him.

She was quiet for a while, then when she spoke, she sounded like she was trying not to cry. "My darling son. I won't anyone take you from me. It's never happening." He turned around and hugged her. She was surprised because she thought he was asleep, but she hugged him back. "I love you boo." She said and kissedd him. He felt a tear drop on his forehead.

"I love you more Mummy. Please don't cry. I know we have had unexpected visitors today but they shouldn't ruin our happiness."

May 28, 2020 07:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.