2 comments

Drama Fantasy Science Fiction

Dear diary,

My name is Andrea Kingsley, and I am 15 years old. I am just like every other teenage girl; I love movies, boys, and music. I am the head cheerleader, an A student, and I am class president for the freshmen class. However, I have a big secret that would get me and my mother killed if it was discovered.

We love in the year 2199. Mankind has greatly advanced science technology, especially the Androids. Scientists have created Androids to be helpful to humans. They were made to be servants, in reality. They are the nanny's, the chefs, the trash collectors, car washers, you get it. They do everything humans don't want to do and then some. But if an Android is found to be different, or not working for the humans, it is disposed of and recycled to make more Androids. Androids are not allowed to go to school, they are not considered equal to humans. They are thought not to have feelings, or emotions. But they do have feelings. They do care. I know, because I am an Android.

In 2184 my mother, Stacey Kingsley a renowned scientist who first discovered the technology to create the Androids, created me. She found a way to hide what I was, though I still do not understand how she did it. But I was created after her husband and infant daughter died in a car accident. She made me look like her daughter and created an elaborate story about how her daughter survived the accident. I was created with the ability to grow up like other human girls. But I have been warned about what will happen if it is discovered that I am not a human girl.

All my life I really believed I was just like everyone else, but then I turned fifteen and my mother sat me down and told me the truth. This means I have to be very careful not to let anyone find out what I am. I will never be a mom, though I had not thought about that far in the future until she told me, I will never be able to marry, and I will not age past 30.

I am now very scared, diary,that I will be found out.

Dear diary,

The government has created a way to detect if there are any hidden Androids. My mother came to me this morning before school and informed me that someone has started suspecting that someone has been hiding Androids with the human population. Now I have to be more careful.

Dear diary,

My mom took me out of school, since the government added the Android detectors to every school. They have also marked all Androids with a to otic symbol. If they find any Androids without the symbol they are immediately recycled. I hope mom knows what she is doing.

Dear diary,

Mom says that she is trying to get the humans to allow Androids to be integrated with the humans outside of servitude. Maybe she will get the government to leave them be.

Dear diary,

It's now the year 2201. It's been two years since I found out I was not a human girl. My mom is dead. They killed her and made it look like an accident. All because she was trying to help the Androids. But she left me a message. She hopes I can keep safe and undiscovered. I met someone while shopping yesterday. We are going out tomorrow. All I have to do is not be detected by the new Android Scanners, located at every door. Wish me luck!

Dear diary,

This is the last entry that I will be able to write for a long time, or ever if this doesn't work. I have been very careful when going out to do everyday things. However, my luck ran out today. Right now I am in hiding because they have upgraded their scanners to flying scanners. I am running to a train station now so I can get to another country. There are still countries where their advancement in technology is only as far as the U.S.A was in 2021. If I can get to one of those I can be free. Thank you diary for listening to me and maybe I can write again when I am safe. If I never write again it means I was discovered and have been recycled, and all my mother's attempts to keep me safe were in vain.

Dear diary,

I made it!! I am in Ireland. I am free. At 18 years old, I was able to get a job and my own apartment. They don't have Androids here, and the Irish are so friendly. I met a new boy, his name is Andrew O'riley, and if all works out I will be able to tell him what I am and hopefully it will be okay.

Dear diary,

Its been another year since I have written on you. Andrew and I have decided to move in together. We are wonderful together. All has been great here in Ireland. No one has suspected that I am not human. I am treated like any normal human woman. I work at the O'riley Bar as a waitress and money is good. Andrew and I went to France last spring. It was beautiful. I am so happy and in love. I still have not told him what I am though. Soon, diary, soon.

Dear diary,

Andrew asked me to marry him!!! He took me on vacation to Italy, and asked me at the leaning Tower of Pisa. I was very hesitant to say yes, because I am not human and won't be able to give him children. So I told him what I am. As it turns out he is also a runaway Android. The O'riley's are not their real names. It turns out that Andrews parents were in cahoots with my mother in creating me. They helped her and she helped them. His parents could not have children and adoption was out of the question so my mom helped them create the love of my life. They ran away to Ireland a year before I did. Life is funny that way. We will be so happy together!! This is my last entry ever. And I am so glad it ends with a happy ending.

February 20, 2021 17:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emma Lekhesi
10:51 Mar 05, 2021

Beautiful...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Siobhan Mulalley
17:19 Feb 28, 2021

That was a really sweet ending. I liked the story and it was generally well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.