0 comments

Fiction

It had been twenty-four years since she’d last seen it, but the place looked the same, the thing was she had seen it when she was born and spent a little time there. Not sure exactly why she stood in front of the house. It was hers now, left to her by her grandmother in her will. The house was a mansion. It’s been in her family for generations. There was something about the house that she could not place her finger on it, but she was going to figure it out. She just wasn’t sure exactly how this would end. 


All she knew was she had a new home, just had to figure out what she was going to do with her new home. She was going to make her house a home for children and teenagers. 


“So exactly what do you plan to do with the house?” a young voice asked her. She looked down at the person who spoke to her.


“I am going to make it a home, after all, I am a foster mom.” 


“You are a great mom,” 


“Thank you for saying that Drew.” 


“You’re welcome. Can I help get the house ready?” Drew asked her.


“Sure, let’s go in and check it out now.” 


Drew and the young woman got out of the car and walked up to the door of the house. She placed her hand on the doorknob to open it, but the doorknob turned on its own and the door opened. Drew looked at her and his eyes were a bit wide. The door opened. They both looked into the house. 

The inside looked good like the house was being lived in. She walked in and ran her hand across the table. When she looked at her hand and saw there was no dust at all. 


“I wonder who's cleaning the the place up?” 


“I am not sure,”


“Annabelle,” a whispered voice said. She looked around to see if there was anyone else in the room. There was no one. She looked down at Drew. She could have sworn the voice sounded like her grandmother voice.


“Drew did you hear my name being called?”


“No, I didn’t,” Drew told her; as he gave her a curious look.


“Never mind. Let’s go check out the room, then we can figure out the rest of the stuff,” Annabelle said as she watched Drew who just nodded his head in agreement.


They both explored the house together, but now and again they heard doors closing and opening. Drew clutched onto Annabelle's arm while they continued to look.


“Okay, I think we have seen enough, let head back home,” Annabelle said as they headed out the door.


They got to the door only to see an envelope stuck on the door with a piece of tape. The only thing on the front of the white envelope was Annabelle in neat cursive letters. 


They both looked around to see if anyone else was in the house there wasn’t anyone else. Annabelle took the envelope off the door before she opened it, and they both left the house. 


In the car Annabelle took a deep breath then she opened the letter. She knew the handwriting looked familiar, but she couldn’t place it. She opened the letter. Drew looked at her waiting to see what she was going to do next. Annabelle looked at the letter.



Dear Annabelle,


My sweet granddaughter, I love you a lot and miss you when I am not with you. If you find this letter it means that I have passed away. This house has been in our family for generations, now it is your turn to do good with the house. It's up to you what you do with the house. I trust you to make the right decisions. I left in my will the stipulation of how you will keep the house. I am sure you will fulfill the requirement. I do wish you the best of luck, my dear. Oh and don’t worry about things getting moved about or if you hear weird noises. I will be watching over you.


Love, 

Nana



Her grandmother left the house to her and wanted her to use it for good. That was exactly what she planned on doing with the house. 


The last sentence puzzled her what did her grandmother mean by that, she wasn’t sure. Annabelle would have to worry about it later. Right now she had to get the place ready. First thing first she needed to make sure the house was okay which meant she was going to make sure those incidents of doors opening and closing on their own, hearing things go bump in the house doesn’t end up being something which is going to hurt them.


“So what’s the next move?” Drew asked.


“Well...first we need to make sure the house doesn’t have anything that would hurt us.

Then we can go through the house and figure out exactly what we are going to do with the rooms here.” Annabelle said to him.


“Okay.” 


--------------


“So what does this mean?” Annabelle asked the man who stood in front of her. Annabelle was on her own, she left Drew at the house with her brother. Drew was her foster son; she had officially adopted him when he was still a baby. Even though he wasn’t related by blood it did not make him any less a part of her family. She would give her life to protect him. 


“It means there are spirits here who need to move on and go into the light. It’s not good for them to linger here for a long time,” the young man said.


“ How would we cross them over into the light?” 


“I can see and speak to the spirits, so I can help both you and the spirit to move on,” the young man said.


“That would be great, thank you so much for doing this, I want all the spirit to go into the light and be at peace,” Annabelle said.


“It’s no problem. Your grandmother is here. She would like you to know she loves you and want to take care of the house. Also wants you to find love and be happy,”

Annabelle could feel her grandmother there. It was a nice calm feeling and she knew it was time to let her go. If she kept her grandmother there it was just her being selfish.


“Thank you, grandma. Please go into the light and be happy. If there is anyone else with you who wants to be sure I will take care of the house. Please know I will do my best to keep the house in the family and keep the house maintained in a good state.”


“Oh...well there are many other people with her. They are now ready to cross over; they see the light,” the young man said. 


It was a few moments which passed by; it was then Annabelle knew her grandmother went into the light with all the other spirits who were there as well.


“Thank you,” Annabelle said.


Now that the spirit went into the light, everything would run smoothly; life would go on and that was all that mattered.

November 20, 2020 19:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.