Preconceived notions

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

9 comments

Fantasy

It was almost six o’clock when, abruptly, the intercom buzzed, snapping me out of my perfect focus. As a result, the flask on my right hand fell on the floor and some droplets of the fluoroantimonic acid began corroding my shoes and all the way to my bone. In spite of my quick healing powers, I cursed as I felt the excruciating pain.

“Aleksander, Queen Aaliyah requests your immediate presence in the main hall.”

With a puff of annoyance, I stomped down the stairs.

“What is it you want mother?” She shot daggers at me, but I was too tired to even bother about my lack of manners.

“General Moore has found this ugly creature trespassing our grounds.” In one quick and violent movement, General Moore kicked the alien causing it to stumble forward and fall on the floor. A loud and disturbing crack echoed through the walls. Suddenly, a red liquid began oozing from the humanoid.

“Mother!”

Her mouth curved into a wicked grin. Sometimes, my mother disgusted me with her lack of compassion. She lived for death.

Instinctively, my legs dashed towards the limp body. Up close, the figure was clearly of a human female. But how did a human manage to get in Etherea? Our planet was at least at 2.5 million light-years from Earth and last time I checked their technology was still too primitive for such lengthy journeys.

“You ought to study it and present me and the court a thorough report within a month.”

I carefully hoisted her into my arms and carried her to my lab.

The bleeding on her forehead had finally ceased, but her body was covered in deep cuts. Probably from the swords. My fists clenched and rage began bubbling inside me. Our soldiers knew only brute force and thus, behaved like irrational animals.

I tore her dirty garments so that I could clean her cuts properly and see if she had any life-threatening wounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! Somebody help me!!”

Once again, the unexpected ear-splitting caused the vial containing the fluoroantimonic acid to spill all over my hand. If I had a heart, I would have definitely died from a heart attack by now…

Her eyes widened in shock as she witnessed my hand heal by itself.

“W-Who are you?”

“Hello Miss, my name is Aleksander. And you are?”

“Eva. Where am I?”

“You are in Etherea.”

“So that means the scriptures were right...”

“What scriptures?”

“None of your goddamn business.”

“Are all humans as rude as yourself?”

“Are all aliens green perverts such as yourself?”

“Eva, I only removed your clothes so that I could tend to your wounds. I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“Humph…Next time ask first.”

“So, you are saying that I will have to take off your clothes another time?”

Her cheeks turned crimson as realization dawned down, and I chuckled.

“How are you feeling Eva?”

“Thirsty.”

“Of course. Pardon my ill manners. I got completely distracted with my experiments.” I handed her a glass of water.

“Thank you. Aleksander how did your hand regenerate?”

“Our species has advanced abilities, one of them being self-healing.”

“Superpowers then.”

“Well, I would not call them exactly that.” She waved her hands, dismissing my comment.

“Do you have more superpowers?”

“Some of us can be as fast as the light, others can see into the Future or become invisible.”

“Wow that is incredible. Is there anyone who doesn’t have any powers?”

“Yes and no.”

“What the hell does that mean? Either you have or you don’t.”

“The ones that are born without a useful ability suffer a fate far worse than death…”

Thankfully, Eva did not press the subject any further. I did not want to have to tell her what waited for her after the deadline in case my conclusions were not favourable… Nevertheless, she recoiled seemingly to read in between the lines.

“Would you like me to get you some clothes?”

“Yes, please.”

Seeing her so distressed made me uncomfortable, so I tilted her chin and gently squeezed her hand. “Everything is going to be alright. I will not let anything happen to you.” Her piercing blue eyes were absolutely mesmerizing. I had never seen such alluring eyeballs. Ours were always obsidian black.

A genuine smile graced her pale-looking face and I could not help but notice the magnetism pulling me towards her.

When I returned, Eva had already fallen asleep.

I should leave her here, but it did not seem right. She deserved a decent place to rest, instead of my cold work bench. Thus, I transferred her to my bed which was far more comfortable.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Deadline Day

I held my notebook nervously against my chest. Today was the day mother and the court would decide Eva’s fate. During these thirty days I had been able to make tremendous breakthroughs regarding the Human species, namely how spectacularly connected the heart, the mind and the body were. So, if someone were to strip humans of emotions, then one would remove their special and unique essence. Humans would be reduced to a ridiculously insignificant second-hand piece of machinery.

Yet, my most important accomplishment was beyond a shadow of doubt, the deep feelings that I had developed towards my beautiful Eva. I dared to say I loved her.

“Aleksander do you have your data?”

My mother’s ever commanding voice, brought me back to reality and without a single word, I handed her my precious notebook with every observation I had made…Including our private conversations and intimate moments.

She flipped through the pages as if they were blank.

“Is this a joke Aleksander?!”

“No mother.”

“What is the meaning of all this?!”

“Exactly what is written.”

“Queen Aaliyah could you please read it for the rest of us, so that we can better comprehend your righteous fury?” General Moore’s words were filled with venom and were a clear provocation. For years, he had been trying to deepen the edge between my mother and me.

“The subject’s superpower is her humanity.”

The court gasped collectively.

“Queen Aaliyah as your faithful General, would you mind me asking a few questions to your son Aleksander?” My mother simply nodded.

“Aleksander what is this humanity superpower you so confidently wrote in your conclusion and presented us today?”

“Eva is a human. Throughout my numerous experiences I was able to determine that she was an extremely resilient being and once she had defined a goal, all her efforts and energy were spent on reaching it. She was a rather intelligent specimen and also a quick learner. Our late-night debates were very stimulating for me.”

“Hum…Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can understand, none of those will be useful to us.”

“I have to disagree General Moore.”

“Really? According to your notes, Humans do not possess any utilitarian abilities as we have. They do not have laser vision nor are they immortal like the rest of us. They are a mortal waste of cosmic matter.”

“That is precisely what your preconceived notions fail to grasp.”

“Enlighten us then.”

“The most fascinating discovery I made was just how powerful this mortal condition truly was. Because humans will inevitably die, they have the ability to make memories and create deep, ever-lasting relationships with each other.” Then I glanced at Eva, who was smiling sweetly at me “Their Love is the strongest weapon ever to exist for it has the power to heal their souls and overcome demons. It is what keeps their civilization moving forward.”

Mocking laughter erupted.

“Queen Aaliyah I think this court has spoken.”

“Aleksander, you have given me no choice but-”

“Mother please! I love Eva!”

Furious, she raised from the throne.

“I will not allow this nonsense to continue any longer! I do not care if you are my son.”

“Then I wish to suffer the same destiny as her.”

“Have you lost your mind Aleksander?!”

“No mother. For the first time in awfully long, I feel perfectly sane.”

“She is a mere human with no exceptional abilities!”

“Eva is compassionate and understanding. She never tried to hurt me, nor did she offer any resistance. She always cooperated with my extravagant experiments.”

“And what use is that for us?”

I paused observing my audience, and then I finally understood what this was all about “I know you are afraid because she is different from our kind, but that is not a flaw. It is a strength. She can offer other perspectives that our people have failed to consider. Did you also know that humans are extremely adaptable creatures? Their bodies are constantly fighting microscopic beings and when victorious, render them stronger than previously. Furthermore, their intelligence has allowed them to be the dominant species on Earth, even though their lack of exceptional abilities as you so politely pointed out.”

“I see… Eva what do you have to say in your defence?”

“Queen Aaliyah, I just wanted to say that I am irremediable in love with your amazing son. Aleksander has made me laugh with his unmatched scientific objectivity. Every day I was blessed to spend with him has been an unforgettable journey. You raised a magnificent being. Whatever your decision might be, I will gladly accept it.”

July 02, 2020 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Surajit Pathak
06:45 Jul 07, 2020

It was a fantastic read. Very well structured and quite visual in thought. :-)

Reply

Rita Janela
18:04 Jul 07, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
04:55 Jul 03, 2020

The title is creative enough to make anyone want to read it! I loved the story! Good job:)

Reply

Rita Janela
14:26 Jul 03, 2020

Thank you so so much =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
00:49 Jul 03, 2020

There is a lot in this story. It feels like part of a longer piece. Is it? The prose could be tighter, but you are definitely to be commended on the way you created the world of the characters.

Reply

Rita Janela
14:29 Jul 03, 2020

Thank you so much =) Actually this was something I just imagined in my head yesterday, but I can definitely see it being a bigger story as well. Regarding my writing, I apologize because it's still very green xD. But I am here to learn and challenge myself.

Reply

Kathleen March
14:46 Jul 03, 2020

Do not apologize. I just was hoping to offer some ideas. We write and write some more, then adjust, revise, write. It’s a process.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Reagan B.
23:28 Jul 02, 2020

You did such an amazing job with this story! It was wonderfully written. I enjoyed seeing how you explained humanity as a power. The different perspectives of the characters were done nicely as well. I hope I get to read more of your writing in the future, this was great.

Reply

Rita Janela
23:54 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you so so much for your kind words and encouragement! This was my first ever participation in a prompt contest and all I want is for my words to touch people. And I also really enjoyed the challenge these kinds of exercises pose. Once again, I have to thank you for your words because they mean a lot. I wish you all the love =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.