10 comments

Fiction Speculative Sad

Dylan loved baby elephants. I try to keep this in mind as I picture my old roommate Miles bursting through the door, then making everything about him. I’ll focus on the elephants.


We’ve all had that friend–the one we were inseparable from in school, but as the years go past, find ourselves drifting away from, until one day, we wonder why we were ever friends in the first place. For me, that friend is Miles. 


I feel a gentle squeeze on my arm and turn to see Clara, my wife. “It’s Dylan's day today,” she murmurs. Her eyes sparkle with a mixture of excitement and apprehension.


“But I'm worried if it will go well.”


 “Don't worry.” A reassuring smile spreads across her face. “What a pair we are. I’m dyadurnal, and you’re nocturnal. What were the odds we ever end up together?!” 


"I'm the luckiest man alive,” I say, pulling her close.


Today is about moving forward, about accepting Dylan's choice. We received a few thousand dollars from the DHLC to cover the costs of his second Life Celebration — the hall rental, the food, Dylan's AI projection. Everything meticulously planned.


As I scan the room, I can't help but notice only two of Dylan's childhood friends have shown up. He was just six years old when he progressed. Perhaps the others have forgotten him.


My gaze settles on Dylan's projection, static and serene. His round, sensitive eyes, his tall, lanky frame — a representation of how he would have looked at eight years old. I remember how he loved building things, how animals, especially endangered ones like the elephants, held a special place in his heart. The DHLC has done an impressive job capturing his essence.


There are 8 candles on his birthday cake in the center of the room.


At the stroke of midnight, Dylan springs to life.


“Thank you for coming to my Life Celebration,” he says. “You look great in your suit Dad, and I miss you Mom.” He makes kind remarks about the other people attending. His projection blushes, as if an AI projection could be shy. “Remember I am always with you. I need you.”


Clara and I step up to the birthday cake, its eight candles flickering, and together we blow them out. Dylan goes into a peaceful slumber until next year. It's odd he didn’t mention the elephants. Elephants, and other endangered animals, had been such a passion of his since he was young.


Just as we're all starting to mingle and move on to other topics, Miles bursts in, late as always. He’s easy to spot, tall with blond curly hair. Always sticks out in a crowd. Maybe that’s why he loves being the center of attention.


“Yo! Scottie!” he calls out, cocking his head at me until I manage a smile.


“Hey Miles!”


And then he moves on. His body spinning in 360 degrees as he nods and greets everyone he knows, doing air pistols, air kisses, and other pretentious greetings.


“Don't worry about him,” Clara murmurs in my ear. “I need you.” 

“I need you too.” 


We've been taught that those words are the most important ones we can say to each other. But in my darker moments, I can't help but wonder - with the OpenAI Foundation handling so much of the work that used to be done by humans, does the world really need me anymore?


They say faith is important. Since AI took over most of what was considered ‘work’ decades ago, artistic expression has become the currency of human existence. Artistic expression and individual choice are the shinning beacons of our great country. Enshrined in the new Bill of Rights, rewritten after we cancelled our old system of government system based on exploitation and colonization.


“I'm alive, I create,” I repeat to myself, a mantra I tell myself every morning.


My rumination is interrupted by Miles’s wide grin.


"So, with your work and different sleep schedules, you two must only overlap for, what, a couple hours a week?" he asks, waggling his eyebrows at Clara.


“I check in with her from my writing center,” I reply.


“So, a long distance relationship?” Miles winks at Clara.


“Fuck off, Miles,” she says.


I sip my drink, and do the math. Miles is right, give or take an hour. Clara and I only get to spend about two hours a week together in person. But that's enough.


As Miles badgers Clara for sex–her option if she chooses–my minds drifts back to the unthinkable.


Two years ago, we celebrated Dylan’s 6-year-old birthday. At midnight, he blew out the candles, then his mobile flashed a notification: Your Life Choices.


I had secretly hoped he’d chose something like soccer camp, so he’d be away 9 months a year, and Clara and I would have more alone time. Clara, on the other hand, had hoped he would decide on a path that would allow him to serve the community, like training for elder emotional support.


Dylan scrolled and scrolled. It felt like an eternity before he made his decision.


Are you sure? the DHLC App asked.


“I am mentally sound, and I choose life option, 231,” Dylan replied.


Five minutes later, the DHLC arrived to take him away.


We can’t question children’s choices, they say. Everyone follows their own path. Dylan didn’t want to take any more resources from the planet. 


I snap back to reality, and to Clara deep in conversation with Miles.


“We gave him everything, let him do anything. Maybe that was a mistake,” she says, a hint of regret in her voice.


“I think so!” Miles chimes in. “An America president in the 1900s once said, ‘Ask not what your country does for you, but what you can do for your country’.” 


Miles is on one of his typical tangents.


"That quote was erased from Wikipedia last year. They're erasing history!" he exclaims.


I look at my old friend, my patience wearing thin. “Take your government supplied Fentanyl, Miles. It calms you down.”


I tap my glass to get the attention of the 20 or so people present, “I have an announcement to make. Clara is pregnant, and we’re trying to be parents again.”


The room erupts in applause, and I'm met with a sea of approving smiles. But just as the noise starts to die down, Miles's voice cuts through the din. 


“Is nobody going to say it?” he shouts.


“Say what, Miles?” Clara asks.


"The elephant in the room - same DNA, same parents," he says, pointing an accusatory finger at us. "The same thing is going to happen again."


"What same thing?" I ask, dread pooling in the pit of my stomach.


"The government killing their child," Miles declares. "Maybe they need to get out of here, escape to Mexico."


"You're embarrassing yourself," I snap. "Every child is a unique individual who makes their own choices."


Clara reaches over and hits the button on Miles’s DHLC Fentanyl meter. He doesn’t resist, and soon slumps into a chair, sinking into a peaceful bliss.


The room falls silent at Miles’s emotional outburst. I clear my throat. Someone needs to speak up, I guess that’s me.


“Dylan loved elephants,” I say. “He made his choice to save baby elephants.”


“Heroic,” his Aunt Liz adds.

“A wonderful boy,” another guess adds

“Endangered animals are our future,” someone declares.


The group erupts in applause, and I realize that Miles is the only one here living in the past, clinging to outdated beliefs. Everyone else is moving forward, embracing the future.


I mingle with the crowd, regaining my composure. These are normal, sane individuals, and they all agree that Dylan made a wonderful choice for the planet. No one has ever heard of two children from the same parents choosing euthanasia.


Elephants are making a comeback, they tell me.


July 18, 2024 07:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Tommy Goround
13:29 Jul 23, 2024

Clapping. I often wonder what else we can sell children in the future. There is a fairly mean YouTube real where the parent tells kids that when they lie their teeth fall out and other mischievous pranks. I mean we're basically letting strangers raise our kids these days cuz we feel guilt or something. Could we convince children....hmmm Puppies are evil? (Just thinking aloud here) We actually forgot the entire plot to the Terminator and are currently making computers to replace our jobs.. California is passing the 5-year-old sex chang...

Reply

09:37 Jul 24, 2024

Yep, people are followers. The AI just needs to show people videos of people chewing on the bark on trees and smiling, and saying its the path to happiness, and we would all start doing that. A new religion? haha, we can get some writing advice from 'Writers of the Future' Yeah, we need a modern update to give us some guidance, the cultural compass needle swings wildly different directions every few years. L Ron Hubbard did it, I'm sure we can write something better than Battlefield Earth and weird self improvement methods.

Reply

Tommy Goround
15:47 Jul 24, 2024

I think someone from the George Lucas camp was trying to do it with a mandalorian. They kept saying "this is the way" which is a total Christian concept along with Yoda's is kind of like Moses maybe and perhaps Moses ate something to make him short and green. The force is obviously Kabbalah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
03:41 Jul 22, 2024

Did Dylan make the right choice? I think in this dystopian world he did! Im glad to hear in this future there are still elephants! Government supplied fentanyl!?

Reply

04:25 Jul 22, 2024

Thanks for reading. If the world keeps moving toward more and more unhindered individual freedoms, with AI, its interesting to speculate about where all that could go.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:02 Jul 18, 2024

A wild speculation on a future where AI takes over "work" and provides everyone infinite life choices without any restrictions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:43 Jul 30, 2024

The best way to describe many people is 'sheeple.' They follow each other like a flock of sheep. One says to jump over a cliff, and they all follow. It's a sad and unsettling story—a great tale wrapped up in an important lesson. I'm grateful I have a cheerful outlook for the future. Humans don't have the answers to actually fix anything, do they?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
18:39 Jul 22, 2024

Two stories I have read today with elephant in them. Fine work.

Reply

Tommy Goround
13:30 Jul 23, 2024

Hi Philip

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
07:12 Jul 26, 2024

Hello.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.