1 comment

Fiction

Before him on the table sat a neatly wrapped gift. As he reached to pick it up, he found it was too heavy to budge. This was surprising, not only because it was relatively small, but also due to the bulging of his arms through the loose sleeves of his t-shirt. Daniel’s mornings and evenings were spent lifting, squatting, and pressing on the floor from which he had removed his sofa, and during the days he did much the same but for pay in a warehouse. Over the past year, his closest friends had seen a great change in him; Daniel’s soft belly and round face had grown firm and populated with dark hair. But Willa, his sworn enemy, had noticed another transformation: his hearty laugh had fled and he was often quiet with deep set circles under his eyes. Just shy of his last birthday, Daniel had seen a man pull a train car with huge chains around his body. As he watched, his heart leaped in anticipation and clarity. After so long feeling lost, he knew where to go. 


He made another attempt to move the box and his sister, Ruth, settled in the chair beside him, smirking. “Just open it,” her giggle warmed him. Untying the string, the sides of the box fell flat revealing a diminutive kettlebell. Slipping his hand through the ring, he tried again to move it and found he could shift it a little but it was far denser than it looked. An engraving caught his attention near the base of the bell, “Strength comes from Struggle.” Daniel glanced at his sister’s wry smile. “Thanks,” he shifted in his seat. “Do you like it? I just thought you’d want a challenge.” Daniel pulled the kettlebell to the edge of the table and lowered it carefully to the floor. He got into position and drew up his hands around the ring. He couldn’t lift it. His face fell.


For some time the kettlebell collected dust in the corner of his studio. For a few months he would squat over it and pull from time to time, to no avail, until eventually it remained untouched but never out of mind. As he stretched, got dressed, prepared food, read, and sweat, he would peer over at it. It was the last thing he saw before he turned out the light and the first thing he gazed upon in dawn’s light. 


When he was unexpectedly laid off, Daniel packed his few belongings and carried them across town to his sister’s place where he was staying temporarily. The kettlebell required a handcart but in the bedroom Ruth provided him, he placed it on a stack of cinder blocks at eye-level from his bed. Another job opportunity offer came working cleaning roofs and gutters which he took with some hesitance. It was hard work and not enough hours but he stayed longer than he expected to. A few times a month he would watch a game or have barbecue or get drinks with his coworkers. During those evenings, he felt buoyant and more alive than he had in some time.


Daniel and his crew leader Marta were scrubbing moss off the tile roof of a particularly large mansion as Joe, an older guy they sometimes worked with, sprayed down the gutters. The hose had looped around his foot somehow and he was trying to untangle himself. Daniel set down his wire brush, “Marta, I’m gonna make sure Joe doesn’t break his hip.” She chuckled and carried on scrubbing. As he made his way down, his boot slipped on the slick tile. Suddenly he was sliding down the roof fast. Joe grabbed Daniel’s rope, checking the tension on the anchor near the ridge-line, and yelled to Marta before Daniel even knew what was happening. He came to a stop just before the long drop off the tall roof. Marta and Joe were with him in seconds. “That was a close one, bud. You okay?” Daniel glanced over the edge of the gutters and began to cackle wildly. His eyes fell on Marta’s concerned face. “I’m fine. Sorry. Just a little shaken up.”


“I heard you almost died today, man!” Jeff was running over, a cigarette hanging from his mouth. “Those harnesses’ll save your ass but boy do you not want to need one!” Daniel was rinsing his boots with a hose before heading home and wasn’t feeling chatty. “Hey, bro, you know what you need?”


At Jeff’s favorite dive, a few of Daniel’s coworkers and someone’s cute friend laughed around an enormous basket of fries and quite a few empty or near empty pint glasses. “Hey, Dan, you know they got one of those hammer things here?” Daniel looked where Jeff was pointing and shook his head. “Oh come on, dude! How often do you get to show off how strong you are?” He looked down, flushing deeply. “I’m not that strong.” Jeff jumped up and went over to the game. “None of that bullshit, man! Get over here.” He smiled good-naturedly and Daniel returned the favor. He stood in front of the flashing lights and picked up the small mallet. He swung and the bar lit up to about three quarters. “You can do better than that!” Jeff slapped him on the shoulder. “Dude, I believe in you.” He looked Daniel closely and then motioned with his eyes at the friend. “Come on, man…” Daniel cracked his knuckles, stretched his hands. “That’s what I’m talking about!” He lifted the mallet again and spread his legs a little wider, bending his knees. Then he brought the hammer down like a flash. BAM! The light of the bar flew up to the top. WINNER! Flashed above him and his companions cheered.


A box wrapped with balloon and candle decorated paper sat on the table in front of him. He pulled it closer hesitantly as Ruth eyed him. “It’s not gonna bite, silly.” It was fairly big but quite light. Daniel pulled the large, wide belt out of the box, immediately recognizing their father’s leatherwork. It was light but clearly sturdy and had a beautiful buckle several inches tall to secure around his belly. “So that’s why you wanted to measure me. I was hoping for a suit jacket.” He winked at Ruth and reached over to hug her. “We just wanted you to be safe next week.” A wide grin flooded over her face. “I’m so proud of you for competing. But I’m even more proud of you for getting this far.”


Daniel lay in the darkness, his mind racing. Tomorrow was the day he had waited for. The anticipation was smothering. Then he imagined his sister’s face beaming with pride. He lept out of bed and grabbed the kettlebell. He scribbled something on it in permanent marker and raced down the hall to Ruth’s room. A light leaked out under the door as he knocked. “Come in!” Daniel stepped inside and sat heavily next to her as she set down her book. “What is it?” He rotated the bell so the engraving, and his hastily written addition, was facing her. “Strength comes from...support. Oh! I love you, too, Daniel.”


November 04, 2020 22:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mustang Patty
09:00 Nov 10, 2020

Hi, Theo, I enjoyed your story. You took a great concept and worked it into an enjoyable piece of prose. A few suggestions for editing your short story before posting: Just a few techniques I think you could use to take your writing to the next level: READ the piece OUT LOUD. You will be amazed at the errors you will find as you read. You will be able to identify missing and overused words. It is also possible to catch grammatical mistakes – such as missing or extra commas if you read with emphasis on punctuation. (If you use Wor...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.