The Devil's Advocate

Submitted into Contest #200 in response to: Write a story that includes the line “my lips are sealed.”... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Indigenous Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.



“Ignorance is bliss, that’s why I’m always sad.” ~ Pinto’s Words of Wisdom


~~~


Elder Pinto takes his position in the tribe very seriously. So much that he gave himself the title ‘Elder’. At 24 years old he quickly became one of the most respected members of the Faba tribe. Truth be told, no one knows if that is his birth-given name nor do they know what his name could be if not that one. The protector of elephants, a stressful job that anyone would be proud to do. What happens when the threat of elephant poachers increase? Will he be able to keep the elephants safe? Or will he cave into the promise of riches, abandoning everything he ever believed in?


~~~


Elder Pinto wiped the sweat from his forehead as he shoveled the dung of his best friends. It would take him all day, but the tribe relies on these droppings for many things. With the wheel barrel full, he chucked his shovel to the side and began the long journey back to the Faba Tribe.


The first stop he made was at the warriors’ training ground. He gave them enough for their families. Ahe walked up to him and slapped his shoulder in a brotherly way. “Elder Pinto! I’m glad to catch you today. I plan to leave for my old village next week and would love to have some extra for my journey.” Pinto grinned, “Ahh, of course. Your love awaits you. Next week, you will have enough for your journey.” Lucero approached as Ahe mumbled, “We can only hope.” Pinto tried his best to disguise his pity and turned towards Lucero.


“How’s the trainee life? I don’t even understand how you’re still a trainee after you won that battle nearly by yourself.” Lucero shrugged, “Age, tribe rules. You know how Katoka is.” Pinto chuckled, he did know how she was. Katoka spent her whole life waiting to be the tribe’s leader. Now that she was, she took her job just as seriously as he took his.


With the sun starting to set he bid the warriors goodbye and continued on his route for the day. Ajulo, the tribe’s blacksmith was next and Pinto made small talk. He asked him about his last travels and where he planned to go next. He even asked him how he became such a good blacksmith. “When I joined this tribe they told me, ‘To wield a sword perfectly, you must know how to create one beautifully.’” Ajulo smiled softly to himself as he recalled a fond memory. They said their farewells and once again Pinto was on his way.


Delivering to the farmers was Pinto’s second favorite part of the day. Zahra, the head farmer, was also one of the best female warriors. She always fought for what she believed in and never asked for anything in return. The two had been close friends ever since he was welcomed into the tribe. 


She turned around as if she felt him enter the field. “Pinto! Umm, hi.” Zahra hated that she was extremely awkward whenever she spoke to him. Inwardly, she cursed herself. “Zahra, here’s this week’s fecal, be sure to use it tonight.” She looked at him confused. What’s so special about tonight? Noticing her confusion he quickly explained, “The temperatures are supposed to be dropping, you need to make sure to stay warm.” She stiffly nodded and turned to continue her work, cheeks blazing. He chuckled; he loved how awkward she was when he caught her off guard.


The healer’s tent came into view and he sighed in relief. The day was almost over. Uchenna was the oldest member of the tribe and the best healer he had ever seen. In the corner of his eye, he saw something move. Apate stood with the wind blowing through her hair. She was laughing with some of the other tribe members. He shook his head to clear her from his thoughts and entered the tent. 


“Elder,” she bobbed her head, “how has work been today? You must be glad to be at your last stop.” Her voice was rough, but soft, showing her age. “It was fine. Everyone seems to be doing well.” “Everyone including Apate? You know I’ve never trusted that girl.” Her eyes glared toward him, and for a second he forgot she was blind. “There’s nothing wrong with Apate, she’s just been dealt a hard time.” Uchenna scoffed, “A hard time. You make sure not to get too close, that young lady is nothing but trouble.” Pinto turned on his heel, and without another word, he left. He struggled to understand why Uchenna held so much hate towards Apate. The entire tribe loved her, except for the old healer.


That night the Faba Tribe celebrated the birth of a new elephant. A large fire was in the middle of everyone as they drank and danced the night away. Pinto sat on a log, watching everyone have a good time. He was very excited just like everyone else, but he was also worried. Their tribe had been stuck in a war longer than he had been a member. The birth of a new calf would surely bring poachers, he just didn’t know when. From a distance, Zahra studies him. She can tell something is bothering him. As she gets closer she notices that he is staring at the other side of the fire. She followed his gaze and was disheartened to see that he only had eyes for Apate. Zahra turned and went the other way.


Everything about her drew him in. He admired her through the flames. He saw the way she laughed and danced with the tribe’s children. He looked around taking in the joyous scenery before him, when his eyes found the spot Apate once danced, he was startled to see that she was not there. Almost immediately, he spotted her walking deep into the trees. He jogged to catch up with her. 


“Apate!” She spun around as soon as she heard her name being called. Heart pounding, she said, “Elder Pinto! You startled me. I was just taking a break from the festivities.” He laughed, “Yeah, they can get a little rowdy sometimes, especially the kids.” She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, “You saw that, huh?” “I always see you,” his reply was simple, but he really did mean it. Apate looked shocked, but her expression quickly changed to one of excitement. “All this time I’ve been waiting for you to ask for my hand. I’m starting to think you never will.” Pinto was surprised to hear that she felt that way, but there was no way he would let this moment pass. 


“Marry me!” He shouted so loud that she flinched backward. “What? Are you sure?” Pinto grabbed her hands and held them in his. “Of course I’m sure! Marry me!” Apate laughed deeply, removing her hands from his to hold her stomach. “Okay! Okay, let’s do it. Let’s get married!” Pinto pulled her into his warm embrace, grinning like a fool. He could not believe this was happening. The couple decided to wait to tell the rest of the tribe until the next morning. Instead, they went back to Pinto’s hut and talked the night away. “I think we should at least have three kids,” Apate said in a serious but loving voice. “We can build a house near the elephants and protect them together and I can have a garden in the yard to have beautiful flowers all year round.” He enjoyed listening to her idea of their future together, he only spoke up every once in a while to make sure she knew he was listening. Before they went to sleep they decided their wedding would be in two days time.


Apate thought she woke before Pinto, she tried to make her movements as limited as possible. Once she reached the door she turned around only to find that he was not there. She huffed, having been careful for no reason, and bolted through the door. “In a rush this morning, my wife?” Pinto wakes earlier than the tribe every morning to make sure the elephants have good food at the watering hole. He does a head count of the herd to make sure they are all there, but the most important and favorite part of his day is just sitting and talking to them. “I’m not your wife yet, Elder.” Apate smirked and Pinto was almost frozen in time. He’d do anything to keep that look on her face. “It’s time to tell the tribe,” she added, “do you think they will accept and perform the ceremony tomorrow? Do you think it’s too soon?” Worry covered her face and his heart plummeted. “All will be fine, anyone who does not wish us married is no friend nor family of ours.” 


In the center of the tribe, they made their announcement and were responded with applause, congratulations, and about 15 too many requests for babies. At the time when they were large at war, no one had time to conceive children. Apate had been in the tribe for 3 years and during that time the battles ceased. Due to that, there were a generous amount of little toddlers running around. It was a time when the Faba tribe couldn’t be happier.


Word of the engagement spread quickly in their little village, and almost everyone started to prepare immediately. Uchenna was outraged to learn that Elder Pinto did not heed her warning. Why did he have to be so stubborn? She left her tent in a hurry, her age slowing her down more than her blindness. Soon, she was at the farm. She stood tall, using her cane as support. Everyone around her knew what she was there for. It was confirmed when she said, “Zahra and Elder Pinto, come here.” Her tone was full of authority, firm, and clear, but not loud in the slightest. 


No one could assume how she knew that he would be there to buy flowers for his soon-to-be wife, but she did. The two of them hurriedly walked over to the healer. Zahra was grateful to have anyone interrupt the conversation they were having. “Yes, Uchenna?” Zahra’s voice was soft and a little distraught. It was enough for Uchenna to notice, “Ahh, I see you do not approve of this either, Zahra.” The young woman gulped, shifting her eyes to Pinto and when she saw he was looking at her, she looked away immediately. “I have already congratulated Elder Pinto on his good news.” She had not once called him ‘Elder’ since he had been there. He looked at her with a strange face and she ignored him. That’s all he could be now, someone within the tribe with an important position. Someone who will be married tomorrow.


“You cannot marry the deceiver. You all may have fallen at the hands of her, but I see her for who she really is. I bet she doesn't look at you the same way you look at her, I don't need eyes to see that. Elder Pinto, do not marry her.” Uchenna’s voice was low and urgent, it grew more slow and pitiful as she turned towards Zahra. “You would allow him to wed her? Talk some sense into this boy, he is bewitched.” Zahra looked over her shoulder briefly, wishing to be anywhere, but there. “It is not my place to decide who Elder Pinto marries,” she looked in the direction of Pinto, not meeting his eyes, “I will have the flowers arranged in time for the wedding tomorrow, congratulations again.” As she walked away, Pinto tried to lighten the mood, he joked, “Did she just call me ‘Elder’?” Uchenna shook her head in disbelief, “For someone called ‘Elder’, you truly are a fool.” She walked back to her tent shaking her head the entire time.


“It’s just a little farther up ahead.” Pinto encouraged Apate to keep going, although she was walking ahead of him. As they burst through the clearing of the watering hole, a smile broke out over both of their faces. While the other members were preparing for the wedding, Pinto wanted to give her a wedding present. It was her being the first of the Faba tribe, besides him, to see the newborn calf. He walked to the elephants gently petting them and beckoned her to come closer. As she stepped towards him, the elephants formed a large semi-circle in front of him and the calf. She stilled, “They seem on edge, maybe we can come back later.” From behind the elephant walls, he laughed, “Yes, maybe you are right.”


Elder Pinto was sweating buckets standing in front of the Faba tribe. Apate was late for their wedding and he feared she may never show. Katoka was there to complete the ritual and she was growing very frustrated. “Zahra, go and find Apate. Bring her here and see that she has everything she needs.” Zahra nodded and quickly fled in search of the very late bride. She found her on the edge of the village speaking with a man and woman. Quickly she hid herself to listen. 


“They will all be too busy cleaning up the wedding. No one will be prepared to defend the elephants.” Apate spoke with the fierceness of a warrior. The man clapped her back and proudly stated, “Three years, and finally, you have set up the perfect scenario. You have done well my child.” Zahra held a hand over her mouth to keep from gasping. “You will tell the protector that you will not marry him. Run to the elephants after our group will be waiting to begin.” Apate shook her head. “He will follow me, I am sure of it.” The woman chuckled darkly, “Maybe that is what we are counting on my daughter. With no one to protect the elephants, our riches will double or even triple. Do what you must do - so you can come home.” Zahra had heard enough. She ran to her farm to prepare for war. Lucero’s mother was sent to warn the warriors and anyone who was strong enough to fight.


Back at the wedding, Pinto felt relief as he saw Apate running towards him. “Elder Pinto, protector of elephants, I will not be marrying you today.” Everyone gasped, except Uchenna, she had been expecting this much, she did not, however, expect Apate to come back at all. Just as Apate predicted, Pinto chased after her into the trees. He could not fathom what would cause her to change her mind; until she picked up a hidden spear and started running in the direction of the watering hole. Heartbroken, he no longer chased after her. He could only watch as her figure disappeared within the trees. The Faba members that were able to fight, arrived only to see the elephants struggling against the poachers. Katoka led the warriors onward and the battle began.


Pinto snapped out of his daze when he caught sight of Apate chasing the calf into the woods. He found them in a clearing, the calf was backed onto the edge of a cliff. Apate had her spear in her hand ready to charge. “Apate stop!” Pinto made himself noticed. “How could you kill an innocent creature? Our job is to protect them, not bring them harm!” He was nervous, it was his job to keep them safe. Apate corrected her aim toward Pinto, giving him her full attention. “We could be rich,” she shouted suddenly. “Don’t you want to be rich?” He had never seen her appear so crazily. “We would have lots of money for our kids; do you not remember our plans?” They circle each other until Apate is by the cliff's end. For a split second, Pinto saw their future crumble to ash. Before he could respond, the calf rushed towards Apate, shoving her to her death. She screamed the whole way down until they were met with silence.


He let out a breath he did not realize he was holding, and turned towards the calf. “My lips are sealed if yours are.” The calf swung his trunk around and began walking the way they came. By the time they reached the battlefield, the poachers who survived were bound by rope. The Faba tribe, thankfully outnumbered the poachers, making this battle a quick one. One by one the elephants ran towards the baby using their trunks and made sure he was okay. Pinto smiled gently at the scene before him. 


From across the way, Zahra marched to Pinto and stood firmly before him. Once she was there she lost her courage, fiddling with her hair. “I want you to know,” he braced himself for a lecture, “that I like you, deeply. You can find me when you are ready to respond.” She quickly got out of his way and went to help Uchenna care for the wounded. His eyes never left her as she walked away and despite everything, he laughed loudly, “This was some wedding day.”

May 30, 2023 19:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Wally Schmidt
21:46 Jun 05, 2023

There are so many things to enjoy about this story: the rich setting, the culture, the vibrant characters and the plot. You have created all of that with your words. You really want to be happy for Elder Pinto and Apate but with the foreshadowing you've done, the reader can sense that something is about to happen, you just don't know what. There are so many little plot lines that weave into the big one and you really are a masterful storyteller. I can't wait to read more of your stories. A couple of things I would mention that I think coul...

Reply

Marcy Key
01:20 Jun 07, 2023

I am really glad that you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for the feedback I will keep that in mind the next time I write! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.