Keeper Of The Clock

Submitted into Contest #125 in response to: All clocks suddenly stop. Write about what happens next.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Fantasy

In the land of the Isles, the Winter Isles, where time is slow, the clock of Aerona keeps the village moving at a quick pace.

The clock of Aerona stands in the middle of the village, its keeper Magic keeps the clock rotating day and night.

While the villagers sleep, Magic stays awake watching the clock so no intruder will steal the clock.

The villagers sleep peacefully knowing the clock will always keep them moving fast, but then one day during a time honor tradition something happens that will cause the village of the Winter Isles to suddenly freeze.

The celebration of Aerona is a time honor tradition on the Winter Isles, when the people honor their goddess for giving them the clock.

The celebration begins at sundown, the villagers are out putting up the decorations, setting up the games and food booths.

Magic is watching from the top of the clock tower with a smile on her face.

The celebration is going to be one for the ages. Why? Because at the end of the celebration in two days fireworks will light up the night sky and the clock.

It's sundown and the villagers are out in the town square where the celebration is taking place. The mayor of the Winter Isles is giving a speech, the villagers are crowd together listening when suddenly the celebration goes quiet.

Magic is in the clock tower watching when she notices the villagers have stopped moving. She turns around and looks at the clock.

The clock has stopped moving. Magic goes inside the tower and goes behind the clock. She checks and sees the clock is missing its rotating wheel. The wheel that makes the clock spin in order for the Winter Isles to move at a fast pace.

Magic begins to panic. She hurriedly runs outside and into the town square. She looks all around her and sees the people are frozen in place.

Magic touches one of the villagers, she is hard as a rock, from the town square Magic sees the clock of Aerona stuck in mid spin.

Magic goes back to the clock tower. This is where she spots one of the windows is broken. Magic realizes someone broke in and stole the wheel.

There is only one person who could have done this and they came from the Isles across the bridge, the Summer Isles.

Magic paces back and forth in the clock tower needing to come up with a plan to get the wheel back from the Summer Isles. She prays to Aerona for guidance,

Magic gets her answer and sets off for the Summer Isles, before she leaves home Magic packs a bag and gets a disguise. She cannot let the villagers of the Summer Isles know who she is.

Before dawn Magic sets off for the Summer Isles. She promises the frozen villagers she will return with the wheel.

The villagers of the Winter Isles have lived peacefully for a long time not bothering with the Summer Isles or the fact they don't need a clock to help them move faster. They are content with their lives and with the clock.

The clock is a source of honor for the villagers of the Winter Isles and they take pride in their way of life, but for whatever reason the villagers of the Summer Isles have disliked the villagers of the Winter Isles.

The bridge connects both Isles from each other and over time some of the villagers from the Summer Isles have ventured into the Winter Isles to steal the wheel, they haven't been successful until now.

Magic has reached the bridge. She puts on her disguise and crosses the bridge.

There is a distinct difference in appearance between the villagers of the Summer Isles and Winter Isles. The villagers of the Summer Isles have mild to dark complexion because in the Summer Isles it's always light and sunny, while in the Winter Isles the villagers have a much lighter complexion because its always night and cold.

Magic reaches the entrance to the Summer Isles. She hears music and laughter. Magic heads in that direction.

The wheel is in the center of the village, the villagers are dancing around the wheel having a good time.

Magic sees this and is angry. While her people are frozen these people dare to have a good time.

One of the villagers who Magic presumes is the mayor begins to speak.

"The villagers of the Winter Isles is frozen and I have made that possible. No more cold weather will reach the Summer Isles. As long as we have the wheel that keeps their clock moving, they will stay frozen."

The people begin to cheer. Magic angrily watches. She formulates a plan to get the wheel back.

Magic watches for hours as the villagers of the Summer Isles get drunk and then she makes her move.

Magic tiptoes to the wheel, thankfully the wheel is easy to get and no one is guarding the wheel. She grabs the wheel and runs to the bridge.

The mayor comes back to check on the wheel and notice it's gone. He looks down and sees footprints.

The mayor follows the footprints to the bridge.

Magic is running fast across the bridge when she hears footsteps behind her. She is in the middle of the bridge when she hears the mayor.

"Stop!"

Magic turns around.

"You stole my people's wheel. I'm here getting back what you took from me, my people, my clock and my village. I dare you to come and get it."

The mayor takes a few steps on to the bridge and turns back when he feels the cold under his feet.

Magic turns around and runs the remaining mile across the bridge and back to the village. She runs to the tower, opens the door and goes up the steps to the clock where she puts the wheel back on.

The clock begins to turn. The villagers of the Winter Isles unfreeze.

The mayor of the Winter Isles continues his speech, the villagers unaware they were frozen.

The celebration continues for the next two days.

Magic continues to guard the clock of Aerona make sure the Summer Isles never come back to steal the wheel.

December 21, 2021 21:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Michael Maceira
22:38 Dec 29, 2021

Hi Melinda! So, off the bat, I love this story. It reads like a fairy tale. The world of Aerona is a world I'd love to see more of. The way you write it gives a sort of magic -- I think it's because the story is written in the present tense, like most fairy tales, and the idea of opposing isles as setting and conflict is simple but enjoyable. The idea of a clock keeping people alive is a smart concept, as well. Having a guardian that watches the clock is ripe for more stories! I have a few suggestions if you don't mind reading them. First...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.