6 comments

Fiction Mystery Teens & Young Adult

Authors Note: *NOT RELATED TO THE PROMPT*

Hey everyone, I meant to post this last week, but got too busy to do so. Warning there is some strong language in the following story. Anyways, Enjoy!! :)


The Last Day. 


Hour 68


It has been 68 hours since I last saw the sun. 68 hours of pure isolation, canned beef, and fearing the sun may never return. 68 hours ago I was happily on a picnic with the girl of my dreams, laughing, eating, and drinking. The last I remember is the horror on her face as the world went black. Eliza! She screamed. That scream has been playing on repeat in my brain ever since. I have been desperately trying to reach anyone in the world, but my radio hasn’t connected to a single signal the entire time. Sighing to myself I picked myself up off the floor and closed my book. As I threw Jane Eyre across the darkroom, I saw a shadow rush past, in the dim candlelight. Confused, I shouted, “HELLO?” Worried I snatched my candle from the night table and backed away into the corner, carefully lighting my way. I tripped over my old doll, Clio. As I looked at her ragged eyes, and missing hair, a wave of nostalgia washed over me. I remembered the hours I would spend carrying her, loving her. I kept her close as the hour came to a close. 

Hour 69 

I was never one to fear the dark when the day ended and the moonlight shone through. That is until now. After almost 3 days of sole darkness, I have never been so desperate for natural light. As I sat with Clio in the darkness, I started to have these memories? I felt like I had lived them, but not through my eyes. As I looked around I saw a ship, and I heard awful, blood-curdling screams. Glancing around my eyes started moving rapidly, my heart began racing, I ran as fast as I could attempting to get as far away as possible. My body jolted to a stop. I tried to keep running, but it was as if my body was no longer mine. I knelt to the ground and hung my head. Trembling with fear, I slowly raised my head to see a woman, with the most gorgeous blonde hair and the most mysterious black eyes. I wondered what secrets those eyes kept. “Rise.” She ordered. I rose. “Eliza?” She whispered, tears pooling in her eyes. “Yes?” I whispered just loud enough for her to hear. She smiled, then grasped my wrists tightly and started to pull. I screamed as I was snatched from that false reality and to my surprise, someone was standing at the edge of my feet. 

Hour 70

I whimpered as the figure circled me, studying me. I recognized the figure, but I was unsure of how. I noticed their face was decorated with an all-black half mask, detailed with little black rhinestones. Their eyes were as dark as their mask. I slowly reached for Clio, and a knife shot down barely missing my hand. I snatched Clio just in time, I clutched her tightly as I rose off the ground. I stood taller than the figure by quite a few inches. They stared directly into my eyes. My mind filled with wonder as I began to think of this figure. I pictured them with soft, smooth, skin, as pale as the whitest snow. Their black hair draping down their body, brushing just past their hips. The person I was picturing was Ida. My girlfriend. But it couldn't be. “Ida?” I asked. “Oh, Eliza! How I’ve missed you!” As the tears rushed down my cheeks, they soaked my t-shirt. I sniffled happily, my world was finally back in my arms. “But, how? How did you find me?” I questioned, suddenly unsure. As that feeling of uncertainty washed over me, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Eight new figures emerging from every corner, knives at the ready. I looked back at Ida, only to find her no longer there, instead, the woman from my vision took her place. “I got you, Eliza.” 

Hour 71

Shit. Shit. Shit. My body sprang forward. I tried to catch a glimpse of my surroundings, only to find my hands tied and a blindfold around my eyes. “Good, you're awake.” A booming voice said as it echoed around the room. I sat silently and waited for them to speak again. Sensing their presence as they circled me, I just sat. They lifted the blindfold just enough for me to see a pit of fire. I heard cheers arise around me, flooding in from every nook and cranny of whatever hellhole I was in. Startled, I screamed. I screamed my head off, I screamed because I missed Ida, I screamed because I was alone, and I screamed because, well, it was a goddamn appropriate time to scream. I stopped once I heard the cheers come to a halt and someone shouted, “Eliza, that is ENOUGH!!” A wave of confusion washed over me as I processed whose voice I had just heard. Delilahs? It couldn't be, well it shouldn’t be. I felt the weight of my hands drop to my side as someone untied the binding rope. My hands shot up to my face and ripped the blindfold away. I was purely shocked to see Ida standing there, along with Delilah, and all these other people? I frantically looked around and I saw an all-white room and a green sheet hanging where I thought I saw a fire. Rage began to boil up inside of me. I shouted, “WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? WHERE THE HELL AM I?” 

Hour 72

“Eliza! ELIZA! Please, calm down!” Finally sore from screaming, I stopped. I rose off of the chair and walked right up to Ida. I started them dead in the eyes, and all I saw was, fear? Anger began boiling inside me again, but I soothed it the best I could. I slumped to the ground and wrapped my arms tightly around my knees, forming myself into some kind of protective ball. “Eliza, do you know where you are? Do you know why you’re here?” Delilah questioned. “No,” I replied sharply. “Well, you were a part of a government experiment, one where we imprisoned you inside to see how you would react to no sunlight over the span of a few days.” That's an odd explanation. “So I guess you’re telling me Ida was in on all this as well.” My eyes shot to her, piercing her like daggers. “Well, yes.” Well, well, well. The one person I thought I could trust betrayed me worse than I thought. Wait. But that doesn’t explain my visions. “Were you giving me visions as part of the experiment?” Delilah cocked her head to the side. “No, I don’t think so.” Confusion washed over me. Who gave me those visions, and why? I did. A small voice in the back of my head whispered. Everything you need to know will be revealed in time, but for now, do NOT trust these people, they are not who they say they are. Ask them if you can go into the sun, if they refuse, get violent. “Delilah, Ida, may I go into the sun now? Since the experiment is over?” 

“I don't see why not.” Good now follow Delilah out the door. I do as I am told, and walk outside, the sun warming my skin immediately. I felt my cheeks heating up. God, how I missed the sun. Little voice, who are you? You, but the you that didn’t survive the experiment. 


July 01, 2021 01:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

00:52 Jul 04, 2021

This was really good! If you want to, please write a part two and I'll read it. Please tag me when you're at it so I don't miss it! Great writing!

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
09:46 Jul 04, 2021

Thank you so much Bella! If I write a part 2 I will definitely tag you.

Reply

13:57 Jul 04, 2021

Yay! I'm excited. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
💫 Sophia 💫
01:25 Jul 01, 2021

Hey, everyone!! I enjoyed writing this story and would possibly write a part 2 let me know if you would be interested in that! Also, if you would like please leave critique or some kind of feedback so I can start to better improve my writing. Thanks!

Reply

Kevin Marlow
02:41 Sep 06, 2021

I feel the confusion and betrayal. I need to know how the experiment changed the protagonist, and moved the plot. Part 2?

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
23:57 Sep 06, 2021

I may begin writing a part 2 soon. My life has been very chaotic recently so I haven't had much time, but when I post it I will let you know. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.