19 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

It’s been a year to the day. Our last interaction was not a nice one. I screamed at her. I told her I was done. She kissed me goodbye, and she was gone. Not a day goes by that I’m not spending time reenacting our last moments together in my head. Our shouts and angry words reverberate in my head. I will never not be sorry, and the hole in my heart and the empty place in my bed and my life will never be filled. 

Every day since then, I see something I never noticed until the day after she was gone. 

Paw prints on wet concrete. A bell around the neck, paws moving quickly. After months of watching her rush by, I follow. 

I rush behind the long black fur blowing in the cold wind as the stealthy paws move ever forward. A bell around her neck jingles with each movement. Her tail straight up as she prances. 

I know this cat. I’ve seen it around the neighborhood every day since the last day I kissed her goodbye. Long silky black fur and big glowing green eyes. Her collar a pink satin bow with a gold jingle bell. I see her walk past my porch every day. She walks with purpose. Too clean and well groomed to be a stray. Plus that pretty pink satin bow. 

Always, at sunset, she makes her way past my porch, jingle bell jingling. 

Vibrant pink streaks through the sky as the sun begins its descent below the horizon. The same pink as the satin bow around the black furry neck. 

I struggle to keep up with the small legs rushing brisk up the street. Mist clings and settles in around the street. Shops begin to close up and I am maneuvering around crowds of people as I struggle to keep up with my mysterious feline friend. Drinks in their hands, voices elevated in celebration they are flocking to the night’s revelry. My agile feline friend winds around feet and ankles, determined. 

Is she a friend though? Really? I’m just being nosey, and I sense she knows I am tailing her and she’s not happy about it. But really? Are cats ever happy? Why do I even care where she is going? 

Around the corner and across the street she is moving ever swift, no sign of slowing down, nothing interfering with her mission of making it to her destination. 

Birds are flying to their nests with the settling in of the early evening. Crows call out to one another, alerting each other of found food and carrion. Nothing distracts my silky keen friend as she moves. Bass and jazz and laughter pour from the open doors of bars and restaurants as we make our way to our unknown destination.

She comes to a busy crosswalk. Late evening commuters on their way home from work zoom past. She stops at the traffic light, taking a light seat as she waits for the light to change.

I stand slightly behind her. Her tail flicks back and forth as she waits. The wind blows cool and humid. The smells of last night’s spilled drinks and vomit hang thick in the air. Brightly colored purple, gold, and green beads hang from the branches of trees and the wrought iron of the gates. Glittering and reflecting the setting sun and the gas lamps as they slowly click on up the street. The plastic beads make a rattling noise in the breeze. 

My strange feline guide knows I’m there behind her. She doesn’t move away from me. She doesn’t do anything to acknowledge me. But I know she knows I’m there. I resist the urge to bend and pet her soft head. 

She  makes a small “meow” to acknowledge me. 

The light changes, and she resumes her trek forward. I follow behind her upward tail - the tip curling to and fro as she walks. Across the street and down the way, she leads me to the gates of the cemetery. 

Through the wrought iron her lithe body squeezes. Here, she stops and faces me. She sits and waits for me to undo the latch. 

The metal groans as I heft my weight against the cold damp bars. I close the gate behind me with a loud clamor that echoes off the monuments and structures inside. I can hear the music of a second line parade making its way through the streets in the distance. 

She gets up from her haunches and turns back onto the path through the tall mausoleums. Intricate, with their stained glass and wrought iron French doors rusted over. 

The cawing of more crows echoes off of the stone structures. I follow her to a newer section of the cemetery, toward the back. The tombs here are less ornate, more modern, simple. 

She heads to the steps of one- two large crows flank the entrance. They holler a greeting at her and the wrought iron door swings open with a whine. 

In she goes, turning to face me. Waiting. I look up at the name. Alize Toussaint. My  heart cracks in half. It had been a year since last my lips had touched hers. She kissed me goodbye. A long kiss. Soft and warm. She knew it would be the last time we would see each other. She knew it was her last night and that by morning, she would be dead. I had no idea. No clue. 

Her death plunged me into a darkness I never knew I was capable of. One that debilitated me. I missed her funeral. I missed her internment. I have avoided this cemetery. I have avoided this tomb. I have avoided all thoughts of her until now. 

I opened the gate, and there she was. Pale. Glowing against the setting light of day. Perfect, if not cold as my hand reached for her, caressing her cheek. Icy lips turned to press into my palm. 

I tried to speak to her. To tell her how much I loved her. How much I missed her. How sorry I was for my cruelty. But words failed me.  I failed her a year ago. I’m here now, and I’m failing her again. 

I fall to my knees on the cool stone floor and go to gather her into my arms, but she is gone. It sinks in, I will never hold her again. 

A clipped meow startles me back to the present. Warm fur bundled into my lap, purring. I hastily wipe my eyes and scoop up the purring bundle of fur in my lap. 

I stand and make my way down the steps letting the iron door swing shut behind me. My feline friend makes no effort to leave my arms as the two large crows take flight and leave. Her face nuzzles into my neck and her body relaxes against me. 

The cemetery gates swing open and I make my way home with my new friend. Alize’s consolation prize for me. A life to be lived without her, but now with a new friend that reminds me every day of what I could have had. What I should have had. 

February 27, 2023 21:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Betsy Ellis
00:02 Mar 06, 2023

I saw how you started and thought this would be an entry I would like to read. I thought your description was great. I truly felt present in your scene-setting. I thought, I love New Orleans and cemeteries which I find peaceful. But then I was disturbed. The sentence "how sorry I was for my cruelty". This feels like maybe this initial lightness and fantastical elements are not the real story, but perhaps the narrator is the one responsible for the death but is somehow in denial and is speaking as if the death was natural. The death wa...

Reply

Marisa Billions
00:22 Mar 06, 2023

As a short you can read into how you choose. I am very sorry you felt disturbed by it though. It was not my intention to disturb. But morally gray is kind of my thing. My characters are never wholesome or light or 100% good through and through types. I like to focus more on the question of is there a redemptive quality in people who do bad things? When is too far? I can promise you Alize was not murdered by the narrator though. 💙

Reply

Betsy Ellis
00:07 Mar 09, 2023

I am glad that wasn't the story. But I wonder if you were surprised that it could be intepreted that way.

Reply

Marisa Billions
16:17 Mar 09, 2023

There is a line where she states that Alize knew it would be her last night, but the narrator did not know, alluding to Alize's suicide. So I was a bit surprised you took it as murder. But the narrator does have lingering guilt for the responsibility for the death of Alize as she says she was cruel in their last interaction.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gloria Preston
22:41 Mar 04, 2023

Suggest dialogue for the breakup scene to bring a reality to the event. Drinks in their hands, voices... Voices with drinks in their hands? The imagery is strong. Suggest using imagery in the introductory paragraph, too. Lovely sentiment. Poignant.

Reply

Marisa Billions
00:04 Mar 05, 2023

Thank you!!! Yes, looking back at it you are absolutely correct. Dialogue would have been a good add.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
22:45 Mar 01, 2023

This is really cute despite the death. Having the company of a cat has always calmed me, since growing up with one. This made me smile, well done.

Reply

Marisa Billions
22:55 Mar 01, 2023

Thank you so very much!! I love cats... Intuitive and wise animals.

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:49 Mar 01, 2023

They are, I think they still remember the Egyptians worshipping them. They still have the authority in their gaze.

Reply

Marisa Billions
16:29 Mar 02, 2023

Exactly!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:55 Mar 02, 2023

Do you have a cat at the moment? I wish I had one or two.

Reply

Marisa Billions
23:01 Mar 02, 2023

No... My wife doesn't like cats. We had one that lived on our porch (she came with the house) but she passed away last summer.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marianna Misko
00:13 Mar 01, 2023

Cats have a certain intuitive way. I want that kitty cat. How cool was this story. Again I stood in the same spot and read. So very gripping for such a short story. Kiddos.

Reply

Marisa Billions
17:11 Mar 01, 2023

Thank you for all of your support! I love you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dyanna Young
04:39 Feb 28, 2023

Beautiful use of imagery.

Reply

Marisa Billions
17:10 Feb 28, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Melissa Reid
23:51 Feb 27, 2023

I was eagerly along on this journey with these two! I love that it was set in New Orleans after Mardi Gras. A sad story with a comforting ending and alone no more.

Reply

Marisa Billions
23:53 Feb 27, 2023

Thank you!!! I found this prompt fun!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.