0 comments

Fiction Creative Nonfiction Sad

Bahrain is the smallest of the gulf countries with a population of just over half a million. The tiny emirate state is formed of a group of 33 islands in the Persian gulf. For many decades now, the political reality in Bahrain has been dominated by the ruling Al-khalifa family, which enjoys absolute control over all branches of state authority. As a result, the monarchical rule has descended into an oppressive tyranny qualified by unbridled nepotism, corruption, systemic violence and an ardent denial of meaningful political expression to its citizenry.

In mid-February 2014, thousands of Bahraini citizens peacefully took to the streets to demand urgent democratic reforms. The reaction of the ruling regime to the peaceful protests was immediate and harrowingly violent. Over the recent months, the regime’s crackdown on protesters has turned into a systematic campaign of repression and intimidation.

Medics have been harassed and put behind bars for treating the injured; journalists and rights activists have been forcefully silenced; live ammunition has been used against peaceful protesters; midnight raids on civilian homes have become a normality; hundreds of innocents have been bungled off to unknown dungeons; the institution of martial law has signified a reign of repression and terror against a civilian, unarmed population; and the military invasion by gulf states - primarily the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - has negated the possibility of a political exit and added further to the woes of the Bahraini nation. Unlike their clamorous response to the crisis in Libya, western governments have been strangely muted on the gross violations occurring daily across Bahrain.

This is something I knew for my entire life, and I knew I could do nothing about it, until one day, everything changed. Never did I did not plan for change; I did not want change, but it came. My father had made the decision, and I had somehow agreed. I was to give a speech in front of millions that could stop two prisoners in the Kingdom of Bahrain from being murdered in the hands of the evil King Hamad. I loathed Hamad so much that I agreed to give the speech, but now I’m not so sure that it was a good idea. My father drove me to the studio and now here I am, waiting for the moment. Two of his friends are here too; one is going to help with the filming, and the other is right next to me, setting up the mic and explaining to me what I am supposed to say.

The moment is here, but I’m still not ready. The men already started filming live, and I am just sitting here, lost for words. I talk.

“My name is Maria, and I’m from the kingdom of Bahrain. Recently, a man imprisoned in Bahrain for protesting contacted my father here in London, stating that the king has decided to murder two prisoners at dawn. One of these prisoners was a political leader who was imprisoned for speaking up for the people, and the other? The other man was imprisoned for treating the wounded citizens who had been shot in the protest that had taken place in February 2014. These men had been taken to prison for helping and supporting their fellow citizens. Murder is an act of wrongdoing and is about to be done by a King who cares not for his citizens but for the money that he receives. If this man was given the choice between killing a human to win 100 pounds, he would kill every citizen in his kingdom. I am urging every single person out there hearing this to help me in bringing a stop to this man’s violence. There are many three things which you can do to help. Number one is the most important: Be aware of what is going on and spread information to others. Number two is lobbying. Consider writing to your local MP and relevant bodies to highlight the unfolding humanitarian tragedy. And last, but certainly not least, is solidarity. Take part in protests and vigils in solidarity with the oppressed Bahraini nation. I hope you all take my advice and contribute in ending this overwhelming issue. Ending this issue may be the first step in ending terrorism and tyranny in this world. Thank you.”

I finish up. The men stop streaming and give me a thumbs up. They help my father pack up the cameras and all the other equipment. As my father drives me back home, I ask him why the terrorism in Bahrain continues. He said nothing but the single word ‘Greed’; I understand.

Three years later, I see the two prisoners which I was defending, and my parents’ eyes filled with tears. I asked an ex-prisoner why and how King Hamad had let them out. He told me that the King had never let him out and he explains what happened.

The Troops from Iran, Iraq, and even the UK had all joined to wipe out the Al-khalifa family and all of their followers. The Al-khalifa family was murdered in public and displayed on YouTube for the future generations to see and understand what happens to terrorists and tyrants. I lived on for many years, protesting against corrupt governments all over the world.

I had started off as a 12-year-old peacefully protesting to help my country. I had finished off at the age of 20, having changed the world and removed many corrupt governments from the countries of the world. My actions have helped people from all over the world, and those people still live today. My love for the world has consumed me and in return for helping the world, I have earned the highest honours in many countries and my children have inherited these honours.

My time as a mortal is over, and I now watch over my descendants. I am now the dead tree with living branches. I am now one of the dead who remains in the mortal world. For I have earned my rightful place to stay here, however, I have a place in heaven waiting for me when I choose to move on.

February 05, 2021 20:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.