way to spider island

Submitted into Contest #6 in response to: Write a story about a family road trip.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Dawn was in charge kicking him out of dizzy that he had been for an entire night. Unzipping the tent, he came to meet a misty hill aganst him. He turned his eyes from the seduction of the valley to see his brothers enjoying their morning dreams. ‘You idiots get the the hell out of your limbo’ he mildly shouted that no one can hear but wondered to see them waking up as they have heard him shouting on them.

         Leaving them behind, he walked through the pine forest having a coffee mug, hot but not that much. He was amazing why these trees hold their branches out of his hands reach and afraid to ask somebody about it as he knew that no one will care these kinds of craze. Moodily he stared at clear sky hoping nothing.

         ‘Hey you brat, what you are doing there?’ one of his brothers cried out to see him wandering like a lost one. He might be thinking, at least for an instance, about having a trip with his soul. He was back in his composure.

         They were impatiently waiting him to come. Only by then he realized that the nature had abducted him.

‘I am sorry, my bad’ he apologized.  ‘What else it could be you pseudo bonny lad’

It was a trip to the spider’s island. An island that is full of endemic species of spiders. No one could survive through this island without seeing a spider in every second. The island was found very recently. However, the travelers are not dared to risk their life as it consists lethal species of spiders like southern black widow, red-back spider etc.  

         The eldest among them mooted this venture, as he was a passionate one with spiders and trekking through mountain ranges.

         ‘The spiders are no being to get afraid of. They always wait silently for the prey. It is not much wild.’ He said while driving the car through the William Street. The three-year-old sedan was not the suitable one but they were insisted to do so. ‘We will walk the rest after putting the car somewhere safe.’

         No one of them had known about the island in detail except some excerpts written on the island and their experiences from the snake island in Brazil. ‘There we will stop our ride and we need to walk the rest.’ He said seeing a narrow mud path before them which extents to the dense forest. ‘There will be a lake or river to cross right?’ the younger brother asked. ‘Yeah but the river banks are close that a man can easily swim through.’ He replied.

         They went on through the forests. Right from the beginning, they felt something peculiar with that forest. Nevertheless, they were confident, as they have managed to get a root map of the forest path leading to the island.

         ‘Are you sure about this place?’ the second brother asked. ‘Why not? Many explorations have been made get there but every one says that it might cost the life.’ ‘Yeah you told so.’

         As the stride progressed, the jungle became denser. The trees were stopping the sunlight from reaching inside. ‘Shh… look. That’s a leopard.’ The younger brother excited but was very vigil to not to rise his sound. ‘We are far enough to be safe as it stands on the other side.’ The elder one said. ‘Other side?’ they chorused. ‘Yes there is a long and deep pit between us. It could an index of a river.’ It was true. They continued. They lit the torches as the night fell. They found an appropriate place to stay at night. ‘We are really close. Just a distance of one or a half km.’ ‘Why don’t we go some more. We have a full moon here.’ ‘Yeah but we might not get a place to stay.’

         They ate food and slept. The next day morning they wrapped up all the equipment and started walking. The sound of river flowing began to hear. The trees around seem like beasts with long hairs and hands. They were sure from their previous experiences that the animals will never come to dark places like this.

         Although they were going on by the instructions of the map they found nothing indicating a way to riverside. As they walked, the sound began to go farther. They were very confused. ‘We should look for a way ourselves. The root map dates to be very much old. These paths may be covered with trees. Let’s go towards the sound of the river.’ They accepted and returned to he place from where they clearly heard the sound of the river. Then they began to go through the trees.

         ‘I am not sure if we will reach, but this is the only choice.’ The elder brother said. ‘But I think this is the real way. Now we can hear the river flowing.’ The second one said.

         After a while, they began to see human made way. ‘This says that the way we chose was the right.’

         They continued walking. Instead of a river, they found a small pond in the forest and the sound they heard was the sound of water falling to the pond from the rocks. They were desperate.

         ‘Going back is not a good idea.’ ‘I think the root map could help us.’ The second brother said. ‘Yeah that’s a good idea.’ They once again took the map and try to find there position. The place they were standing was clear but there were no signs of a pond in the map. ‘It could be made later.’

         They relied on the map and went on. The path that the map showed was the same they were going.

         They survived a one last elevation. ‘We’re here.’ The elder brother shouted looking to the river flowing before him. There was an island in the river close enough to get by swimming. They suited up and wrapped there electric devices with plastic covers and crossed the river.

         Thus, they reached the island. There were no signs of any existence of any animal. Still there were trees and plants. ‘The spiders might be seen in the inner part of the forest.’ They thought and entered the forest. Yet they see nothing but the trees.

         One hour passed and they were still wandering around. They have not seen a single spider there. Expectations were yielded to reality as they finally adjusted with the truth that the island has nothing to show them.

         ‘I think this island had been ruined by something like a flood. That’s why we didn’t see the signs of new explorations.’ The second brother said. ‘Yeah then we should find some of the fossils of spiders to show the world that this island had once existed as the habitat of spiders. Shall we?’ The elder brother laughed followed by the others. 

September 12, 2019 09:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.