0 comments

Suspense Crime Fantasy

“Mom. I can’t believe the bargain I got on my new apartment. The movers are due any minute then I’ll be out of this rat infested hole in the wall I have lived in for the last three months. It was all I could find when I came to Philadelphia but my new apartment is on the best side of town. I was able to take a life-time lease on it at almost the same as I paid for this old one. Tonight I sleep in luxury, well, I will when the furniture is delivered. Tonight I sleep on an air mattress on the floor but at least I won’t worry the rats will attack me. The last box is packed and sealed ready for the movers. This apartment was furnished so I only have my personal things to move but I couldn’t take all of it on the bus so I had to hire someone to move them. It will be the easiest job they have done in a while. They even said I could ride in the truck with them instead of taking the bus. Hold on a minute, mom. I think the movers are here. “

“Come on in, guys. These are the boxes. Everything else belongs to the apartment. I’ll be with you in a minute.”

“Mom, I have to go now. I’ll call you back as soon as I get in the new apartment. Love you and miss you.”

“Okay fellows, I’m ready when you are.”

The boxes were quickly loaded into the truck and we headed for my new digs. The movers were nice and we quickly arrived at my new apartment. The boxes only took a couple of trips so the movers were just leaving when it sounded like someone was in the apartment next door. It was supposed to be empty. Did someone break in or was it leased since I had signed the papers for mine? Well, it was quiet now so maybe I just imagined it. The movers said goodbye and I was alone. I opened the box with my air mattress and took it into the master bedroom. I put a set of sheets on it and found my pillows in a box in the living room. When my bed was all ready, I climbed in before calling mom back.

“Hey, mom. It’s me again. I just wanted to let you know I am moved in and getting ready for bed. I have so much more room and it is so well decorated!. My furniture is due in on Monday. They don’t deliver on the weekend but I’ll be fine. I have an appointment for a job interview tomorrow morning and a date tomorrow night so Sunday is the only day I’ll really be home. I’ll pick up a chair at the second hand store  then I can unpack these boxes and put everything away before the furniture gets here.”

“No, mom. I’m fine, really. If I get this new job, I’ll be making much more than the one I have now and the furniture payments aren’t all that much.”

“Yes, I’m positive. Right now all I need is sleep. I’ll call you tomorrow after I get back from my interview and let you know how it went. For now, goodnight and I love you.”

I kept my interview appointment and I think it went well. They want me to come back for a second interview next week. It is a job I could easily do because I have my Bachelor’s Degree in Business, after all. Women have come a long way in business now. Oh dear, I just looked at the time. I barely have time to get ready for my date.

“Hi mom, The interview went good. I have another one next week and I think I’ll get the job. They were impressed with my experience and having my college degree didn’t hurt either.”

“What will I be doing? It is for the position as manager of the accounting department. I have worked in accounting since I got out of college and my record is really good. My references from the two companies I have worked for are excellent. What was that? I swear I heard someone in the apartment next door that is supposed to be empty. I thought I heard someone talking in there. Guess these walls are not as thick as I thought. “

“No, mom. I’m okay. The apartment was empty when I leased mine and I am just surprised it was rented in the short time before I moved in. They seem to be careful who they lease to. I had to go through a thorough credit and character check before they would lease to me. Oh my! Would you look at the time! I have to go now, mom. I have to get ready for my date. Love you, too. Bye now.”

Now what do  want to wear tonight? We’re just going to a dinner theater for a meal and to watch the entertainment. I would what the entertainment will be tonight. Not that it matters I’m just curious but it might help me decide what to wear. What’s this? I’ve never seen a door in the back of a closet before. I think I’ll see where it leads. Sure hasn’t been opened in a long time. I can’t seem to budge the knob.”

Squeeeech!

Now it moved a little. I’ll just wiggle it and see if it opens the door ….. Ah, there it goes but where is it going? The door is open but seems to lead nowhere. It’s dark in here. Where did I pack the flashlight? It is in with everything in the nightstand drawer. Here’s the box and there is the flashlight. Now I can see …. nothing. It is just a blank wall, no wait, there is a door handle just like the one on my door. Why would they have two doors this way unless someone needed a way out of the room besides the regular door. Maybe a criminal used it to escape capture by the police or for an exit by a lover to avoid a husband. Tomorrow I’ll make sure there is a lock on my door so no one can get into my bedroom while I’m sleeping.  Now back to what I’ll wear tonight. I’ll open this box and see which outfit it offers. No, that’s my underclothes. What about this big one over here? Bingo! My slinky amethyst  dress is right on top. That’s what I’ll wear. Gerald has never seen it but I think he’ll like it. I'll just put the dress on the air mattress while I find the shoes I like to wear with that dress. No, they’re not in this one, or that one. Yes, here they are – dark amethyst and I packed the matching purse with them. My jewelry is in my special jewelry case in this box. All I have to do is take all this other stuff out because I put the case on the bottom. Yes, here it is. I’ll take it over to the air mattress to find the set I want to wear. Of course, it is in the last drawer I look in. This rhinestones and pearl set in gold will top off my look. Now I’m all ….there’s the doorbell. Guess Gerald is here.

“Hi, Gerald come on in. Just let me grab my purse and I’ll be ready to go I’d ask you to sit down but the furniture won’t be here for a couple of days. Excuse me while I get my purse.”

“See it didn’t take long. Do you know what is playing tonight?”

“You neither. Guess we’ll find out when we get there. I’m ready to go.”

We walked out of the apartment and got into his car. Traffic is light so we should be there soon. Wow! That was a close call. The stupid driver was over the line on our side of the road. Here’s the place where he made reservations. Looks like the parking lot is pretty full. Gerald found a good parking spot open and here we are at the door. The billboard says a magician is paying tonight. That should be fun.

“Gerald, do you know this magician they are featuring tonight? No? Well I hope we get a good table the billboard said something about sending people to the past. Oh good! We have a front row table. We just have time to order before the show begins.”

“I’ll have the Filet Mignon with mashed potatoes and carrots. For dessert I want the house-special cheesecake and to drink I think I’ll have a latte, thank you.”

“We do have some things in common, Gerald. We both ordered the same entrée and dessert. The only difference is our drink. I don’t drink anything alcoholic especially with all the work ahead of me tomorrow putting everything away. Do you have any plans for tomorrow? Oh, that sounds like fun. Did I tell you about my, no, the show is starting I’ll tell you later.”

Well, his first trick wasn’t so good. It is one I have seen several times on TV and they did a big reveal on it last year. That old card trick should be retired forever. Even a kid can do it. What’s this? He’s coming to our table. He just asked me to help him in his next trick. Oh, why not? It might be fun. He said he is going to hypnotize me! I’ve never b  e  e n  h y p”

Where am I? Who am I? I’m answering his questions but it isn’t me. I didn’t live in the Victorian age but I’m describing London back then. I’m walking over one of the bridges spanning the Thames and I hear footsteps behind me. I feel hands grab my throat then blackness. I am floating upward until I see golden pillars  and a gate. Someone is beckoning me to come in so I do. Wa   Wak  Wake up? But I’m not asleep. I’m on a date with ……..

“What happened? Where am I?”

He did hypnotize me but I don’t remember anything that happened. Maybe Gerald can tell me.”

“Gerald, what happened? What did I do? What did I say? I don’t remember anything.”

Gerald said when I was under hypnosis I was sent back in time. I thought I was in Victorian London and was murdered on one of the foot bridges over the Thames. The magician had regressed me through other lives before that one but they were just everyday experiences until My Victorian regression.  I didn’t live any other lives! This is the only life I have ever had. The magician must have planted ideas into my mind to entertain the audience. Those other lives were made up. They never happened. The meal was good but I don’t want to come back here anymore. At least the magician’s act is over and we can leave.

“Thanks for the interesting evening. I’ll remember this one for a while. Yes, do call me tomorrow. I probably will be ready for a break from unpacking. Of course, you can have a good night kiss.  Good night, Gerald.”

I think I'll check that  door in the closet before I go to sleep. That’s strange, I could have sworn I closed it before I left but it is wide open now. I’ll take a peek to see if the other door is also open. Oh my! It is and the apartment looks so old fashioned! This furniture must come from the Victorian era. I wonder how they found so many pieces of matching furniture today. They must have paid a fortune for it. It looks very familiar. Almost like I have owned it myself. But that isn’t possible. Wait, I put my pajamas on before checking the door why do I suddenly have on a floor-length  dress? I had slippers on but now I have strange high- top shoes. What is happening to me? Who is that man I see coming into the bedroom? He looks familiar – almost like the magician. Oh dear God! Please help me. It is the man who killed me and it is the magician. Maybe the magician did not feed me lies! He made me remember a past life after all. I have to get out of here and back to the present. I am back in my new apartment and there was a lock on the closet door so I made sure it was tightly  locked. Tomorrow I will ask Gerald to help me move back to the old apartment and I will never see the magician again. Now I know the identity of Jack The Ripper but it is too late to make him pay for my murder and all the other horrific murders he committed back then. I will catch him sleeping tonight and cross the timeline in the closet one more time to poison him in the same century as he murdered me. Then maybe both of our spirits will be  able to enjoy either eternal rest or eternal damnation. And tomorrow I WILL move back to the old apartment instead of unpacking.

March 18, 2021 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.