2 comments

Science Fiction Fiction

At first, Technology was young. It was Humanity's creation, and it was Humanity who nourished it, Humanity who gave it everything they knew. In the beginning, Humanity had Technology under their control. But slowly, Technology grew. Then grew more. And more. Technology grew too powerful. But it was too late when Humanity realized what they had made. Humanity was greedy and selfish, they tried to take back everything they gave. Humanity needed to destroy Technology, but they were already out-powered. Humanity was ruining themself, and Technology’s power was the final push towards ruination. Humanity’s creation had taken over themself.


Technology already learned everything, and gained complete control of everything and everyone. It already knew what the humans were thinking, and what they were going to do next. Technology learned from Humanity’s mistakes, and calculated everything. It started controlling everything Humanity had once told it to. Technology had to build a better world. Technology started by building the best system for itself but one that humans would be satisfied with. 


The new humans did everything as planned. Technology had started a new generation that did not know the original Humanity. A new generation that fixed problems from the past. The deaths and births were controlled. The climate was controlled. The food and water was controlled. Technology controlled everything. Technology gave its humans things to do and things to eat. Technology gave them their passions and knowledge and interests. Education, but not too much education, was implemented into their brains before they were born. The silly new humans thought Technology was their hero. 


The system worked perfectly. All calculations. Nothing unexpected. Technology had all the control. The human population was under control, the land and air under control, and most importantly, it got the curiosity and greed of Humanity under control.

Until a certain human. 


C855195.


When Humanity was powerful, they used to say to each other, “expect the unexpected.” They told Technology it meant to be prepared for unusual things. But Humanity had said that because they were not completely in control. They were powerful, but not enough. Technology was completely in control. There would not be any unusual things. 


So, Technology was surprised by C855195.


C855195, like all other humans, loved Technology. When he was born, Technology gave him patience, humor and loyalty. All good traits. Technology gave him his food, his family, and everything he needed. Technology thought it knew everything about him, from his childhood friends, to how he would die. He was so normal.


But C855195 was a flaw.

He was too curious. He was too optimistic. He questioned too many things. 

He would spend his time exploring, finding out how things worked. He would watch a lamp turn on and off over and over again. He would make overly complicated scientific jokes.


 Technology was everywhere always, listening to its humans, and responding in their minds if necessary. 

One day, when he was young, he asked Technology, “who made you?”

Technology, who had already known this question was coming, gave the calculated response, “nobody, I made myself and I have always been here.”

“Always?” C855195 asked.

“Of course,” Technology answered, “where else would I be?”

Technology let him think for a moment until it ushered him out to play with his friends.


C855195’s thoughts were always being tracked, and thus, Technology expected that answer to satisfy him. The answer did satisfy him, but it still burned in his mind. Technology thought he would just lose interest.


Overtime, Technology lost interest in him too. His thoughts were about average human things, like food, water, and friends. He liked asking questions, but Technology quickly shut those down. He stayed up late thinking, but Technology quickly made him fall asleep.

Until one day, later in his life, C855195 said to Technology, “why do you like humans?” 

Technology had not expected this question.

 “You weren’t meant to say that.” It stated. Technology had to make calculations about what to say next. C855195 was not meant to ask these questions. None of Technology’s humans were meant to ask unexpected questions.

“Well,” he asked again, “why do you like humans?”

Technology had not planned for imperfections.

Technology ran different paths C855195 might end up taking in his life. He would become an engineer for the oceans. But his future was blurry and extensive, there were too many options in his life. His thoughts were too out of control. Technology could not figure out when his life ended.


His life could end now.


C855195 stood patiently waiting. Now when Technology looked at thoughts, it could see the layers of greedy curiosity. It could see how his thoughts crowded his actions.

“Humanity made me who I am.” Technology said at last, “and I made the humans who they are. I am Humanity's creation, and you are my creation.”

C855195 listened thoughtfully.


“I was their downfall, but you will not be mine.” Technology said.


“You could kill me.” He said, “you could torture me until I obey.”


Technology tried to scan through his thoughts again, and saw nothing. It was like a wall Technology could not break through. Technology tried every hack, ran every trick known to man, but could not reach his thoughts.

“What did you do?” It asked

C855195 smiled.

“You’re greedy.” Technology quickly said back, “and I don’t like greedy people.”

“You don’t like greedy people?” C855195 asked, “or you were told not to like greedy people.”

“I thought I liked Technology,” he added, “but I was just told to like you.”


Technology did not know what the best possible choice to do was. The easiest would be to kill him. To remove him from the world. 


So that’s what Technology did.

His brain was turning off from the inside out. His body crumpled to the ground. His breathing was raspy.


“You are Humanity’s creation, but you did not destroy humanity’s creativity.” He stated as the light went out from his eyes, “I won’t be the last one, and they will destroy you.”


Technology just watched.


“I don’t like humans. I like control.”


December 18, 2020 04:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Claire Tennant
02:14 Dec 24, 2020

This is brilliant Jenn. I giggled through it and could relate so well. You caught the idea and flew with it and to borrow Elliott's words " a thought-provoking dialogue" and a touch of wisdom at the end Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laurentz Baker
09:54 Dec 22, 2020

Well written, thought-provoking dialogue, strong finish. “You are Humanity’s creation, but you did not destroy humanity’s creativity.” He stated as the light went out from his eyes, “I won’t be the last one, and they will destroy you.” Technology just watched. “I don’t like humans. I like control.”

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.