45 comments

Drama Suspense


"What we'll do Kim! The main ingredient isn't here! What we'll do this week! You know that everyone is waiting for our new cookie… It was going to be awesome, then this happened… oh Lord, help us…a…"

"Can you just shut up for a moment, Jane. I'm trying to think of something."

They were sitting in their shop. When early morning Jane entered the shop and entered the kitchen she found something mysterious, and when she opened the cabinet… it was all upside down. Most of the things were missing, and when she found out that the new monthly cookie's secret ingredient is missing, she panicked and called Kim. Kim was his best mate and the caring partner in the shop. He was half sleeping when he was talking with Jane. He woke with a shock and got ready; when he reached, he found Jane sitting on a kitchen chair.

Now Kim was trying to think k for a solution…suddenly he got up with a smile on his face and said, "I know who will find our secret ingredient thief" and went away.

__________________________________________


He was sitting in his room when the worker entered and told him that a man is here to meet him. He asked him to bring the man called Kim.

"Hello!" Kim entered the room. The investigator glanced at him and stood up, walk a bit, and reached towards the door "you may sit, I'll be here in a while… and … hey!"

Kim was surprised by the attitude of the investigator.

He observed the room. It wasn't large. In the corner of a room was a bookshelf with four portions. Every portion was filled with books, even a single gap wasn't able to be seen, but something was fishy. He jerked his head and turned his head around, and saw a stool also piled with books. Beside the table was a rack full of files. At the back of the main table was a wall covered with a map. It also has some red marks on it. On the table was an empty mug of coffee. The laptop was opened, and some papers were scattered beside it. He moved forward to look at documents, but the door opened, and the investigator entered the room. He sat on his chair and held his hand up for greetings. "I am Agent." Kim shook his hand and said, "I have heard of you from my friend. He says that you are the good investigator and so…I thought to came to you," he stopped. "Go ahead!" Agent was listening with great interest.

"I and my friend has opened a shop called Coff N Cookie. It's been a year. We launched Monthly cookie… like…on every first day of a month we bake cookies with a new recipe. Today is 1st of October. My friend reached early in the morning to bake the new cookies. When she opened the cabinets for ingredients, she found out that the secret ingredient was missing… we want you to find our thief so we can take our ingredient back from him."

Agent was copying all this information in his small pocket diary. When Kim finished, he looked up at him and asked, "what's your friend name?" "Jane," he replied. "I will go with you to your shop…if you don't mind" "no…no… I know it would help you to investigate."

They reached together to the shop. Jane stood up quickly and greeted the investigator but was puzzled. She asked Kim about him. Kim told her and said, "he will find our secret ingredient in no time."

"Sir! Kim!"

"I have to go Jane to help him. You may sit near to us."

Investigator Agent was in the kitchen searching cabinets. When Kim entered, he asked, "what was the secret ingredient?"

"Err….r…mmm"

___________________________________________


Agent was searching the counter table when he asked Jane, "who works in here or… who comes here?" "Kim sits on the counter and I work in the kitchen… you know…baking…and…yeah! There is a guard who lives up and he also guards our shop… mostly I wake him up after I have baked."

"Up?" Agent was puzzled.

"U…there is a room above the shop. Stairs go from the kitchen. His family isn't here so we gave him space… actually I was supposed to live there so I must not have difficulty… I mean… my house is a bit far away so Kim made that room for me. About a month I lived there, but then this man…William came and asked for some work. We asked him to guard our shop and we'll give him space to live and food to eat. He is an old man."

"Can you show me the room please? I want to ask some questions from him."

They both went up the stairs and entered a fully furnished, large room. Jane opened the lights and curtains. An older adult was lying on the bed in between the space. Beside the bed was a table on which a mobile and a lamp were settled. At the corner was a room refrigerator. A cupboard was placed beside the window. Jane woke him up. "Father! Wake up! I want you to meet someone."

"Father?" Agent asked

"When he first arrived here he told me that I look like his daughter who is married to man in the village where he lives. After that I called him father and he just loved it."

"Who is here?" a shaky voice entered their ears. "Jane! Is it time for me to guard your shop?" "No… here is a man who wants to ask you something. His name is Agent."

"Hello Sir! I am Agent. (He sat at the corner of his bed and William was wide awake listening to him) I just only want to ask that do you feel hungry in the middle of the night."

"Yeah I do. It's just yesterday's night. I was hungry. I opened my bag of food and found out that it was empty. I went in the kitchen and searched in cabinets." He was about to cry. "There were lots of jars full of cookie chips. I only ate one and was forcedly taken back into my happy life with my wife. She used to make those cookie chips whenever I felt angry or happy. I brought up all of the Jars and put it in my bag so every night I can have my wife back…in thoughts only," he was crying. Jane was standing stunned, and the investigator was smiling. "Here is your thief!"

"He is not thief. He is my grandfather! Kim! Up here….. I found my grandfather… please tell me… do they taste like grandmothers cookie chips!"

"Yeah! They does… daughter! That is why you looks like my daughter!"

"Well… grandpa! I am supposed to sell them to people for my earning but you can have one jar. Just lend me back others." Jane pleaded

William handed her the bag full of cookie chips. She ran down and yelled, "you are not supposed to guard the shop now and I am baking cookies. Quickly! Get dressed and come down for breakfast!" she heard "She is like her mother and grandmother!" there were laughing noises. "I can hear grandpa!"

They all came down and sat around a table. Investigator said, "I don't want any money but want to eat the cookies with a mug of coffee!"

"Yeah! Why not." And Kim was there in no time with a tray containing four mugs and a plate full of cookies, a bowl full of cookie chips for grandpa. "Come on Jane! Eat something before opening the shop," and they all sat and ate, laughing on William's story with his wife.















December 07, 2020 14:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

Anannya Oli
06:46 Dec 17, 2020

Hey Wirda! I absolutely LOVE your story! It was such as sweet, wholesome ending. It truly warmed my heart. I think the story was just a little bit rushed, but the way you described the setting and orientations of the room, I could literally picturize it. I see you have just started out, and I'm sure the future stories will be just as good and engaging! All the best! :)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
12:04 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you so much 😍 I will try in my other stories not go fast😊 This means a lot 😊

Reply

Anannya Oli
02:57 Dec 18, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anannya Oli
02:57 Dec 18, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anannya Oli
02:57 Dec 18, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
Aafia Hanya
16:25 Dec 09, 2020

Hi sweetie.... This story is so engaging❤️ Interesting idea... Well written. Just a little bit work on tenses... Its okay but kahin kahin ghalti hai.. proof read kia karo jo ajeeb sa lag rha ho pooch lia karo kisi baray sai... Aur thori si word ki sahi choice Anyway, the story is Amazing.. believe me aisi cheezon mai koi compromise nhi... Seeing u as my future writer.. IA lamba ho gia... Great story dear.. keep it up.. waiting for more.🙂☺️👻

Reply

Soofia Asad
08:41 Dec 11, 2020

Omgggggg such a great masterpiece

Reply

Wirda Bibi
13:40 Dec 11, 2020

thnku:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
17:37 Dec 09, 2020

okay Aafia:) thnx for commenting and guiding :)

Reply

Aafia Hanya
20:21 Dec 09, 2020

anytime! :)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
04:06 Dec 10, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Bareera Samra
15:48 Dec 07, 2020

AWWWWW!!!!😄 It was such a SWEET story!😍 Everything happened so smoothly.😎😎 It was a light read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.😃 I'll be waiting for more stories from u, Wirda.😊 I am your big fan!❤

Reply

Wirda Bibi
17:17 Dec 07, 2020

thnx :) this means a lot :) thnx for giving me time :p

Reply

Bareera Samra
19:56 Dec 07, 2020

Anytime!(●'◡'●)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
12:06 Dec 19, 2020

what ya doing? have you written any story yet?

Reply

Bareera Samra
19:07 Dec 19, 2020

I'm Sorry! 😞😔😟😩Short Of Ideas. Will right one soon, hopefully.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bareera Samra
19:07 Dec 19, 2020

I'm Sorry! 😞😔😟😩Short Of Ideas. Will right one soon, hopefully.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bareera Samra
19:07 Dec 19, 2020

I'm Sorry! 😞😔😟😩Short Of Ideas. Will right one soon, hopefully.

Reply

Wirda Bibi
13:29 Dec 20, 2020

Then I'll be waiting 😇

Reply

Show 5 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
00:55 Dec 31, 2020

Hello! I really liked this story!!! It had a wonderful plot!!!!!!! There were a few small grammatical errors, but overall it was fantastic! Great job! :D Also, I would love it if you could read some of my stories as well :)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
12:19 Dec 31, 2020

thank you so much:) i will read your stories :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:15 Dec 31, 2020

Np! And thank you! Tell me what you think of it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
13:52 Dec 30, 2020

Hi Wirda! I loved reading your story! Especially the fast pacing that you wrote it in. There were a few grammatical errors, but other than that, it was really interesting! (I like reading mystery, detective and suspense stories) Great job! Keep it up! :)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
14:32 Dec 30, 2020

Thank you so much:) I am working on my mistakes:)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
15:59 Dec 30, 2020

Sure, my pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
18:15 Dec 07, 2020

An amazing write-up! I love the way you form the connection between William and Jane. Anyways, Write more and shine more!

Reply

Wirda Bibi
04:13 Dec 08, 2020

thnx :)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
12:56 Dec 21, 2020

no story coming from you? papers huh?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
12:03 Dec 23, 2020

thanku soooooo much:) this really means a lot :p

Reply

Wirda Bibi
16:09 Dec 23, 2020

😍

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.