0 comments

Crime Drama Thriller

Note: This is a bit of a different story than i would normally write, but i gave it my best shot! !!TW!! it contains some gore and violence.


...


651-337-6065

You dialed your number as a stupid dare, just to see what would happen. 

But what you didn't expect was the scream. 

...

1 hour earlier

"Pass the vodka Annie" Sam yells across the room. He's drunk as heck.

"Babe, I think you've had enough vodka," You told him. "You just turned 21 today. I don't think your body will be able to handle it."

"I'm fine..." He answered drunkenly.

"No, you're not," You answered firmly.

"Come on Anne, have a little fun. Drink a little."

"Can't. I gotta drive you home."

"One drink won't hurt," He said. You gave in. A drink of vodka did sound nice after a long week of work, plus, you could always call an uber for Sam. That's when your night turned upside down.

You play truth or dare. 

Sam admits he has had a crush on you since 3rd grade.

You admit that you hadn't liked him until high school.

He knocked on a neighbors door and stood still and silent for two minutes. 

He dared you to dial your phone number on your cell phone. 

It wasn't a dare, so much as a drunken joke. You pick up your phone, laughing so hard your hands are shaking, and dial the numbers. 

651-337-6065

"Sam, I have no idea what you think will happen, other than having my phone break."

You don't know what would happen, but what you didn't expect, was someone to pick up. 

Someone who sounded exactly like you.

“Help!” you say. Except it’s not you, it’s the person who picked up. A person who sounds exactly like you. You can hear shouting in the background. It sounds familiar, but you can put your finger on where you’ve heard it before. 

“What’s happening?” You, and actually you, say. 

“He’s coming for me. He’s coming for me, please help” you say. The other you this time. 

“OK, hold on. What’s your name?” you ask.

“Annie DeFand,” Says Annie, in panic.

“OK, what time is it? 

“It's 01:36 AM. Why is this important?

“Because MY name is Annie DeFand, and I dialed MY number for a stupid dare, and you picked up. The only thing is, it's 12:36 AM in my time. You say." You think you've just drunk vodka and hadn't done that in a while, but this seems a bit too real to be a hallucination. You look up and see Sam making eye contact with you, looking confused. You hold up a finger, letting him know to hold on for a second. 

“Annie, get out of the house now. If I’m future you, then you're about to be attacked. Get out of the house. NOW!” She yells. I hear the yelling in the background getting louder. Annie makes a quiet gasp of fear, knowing she talked too loud.

“Who’s coming after you?” You ask her.

“Sam," She whispers. She sounds so afraid. 

“ Sam?!" You repeat a little too loud. Sam looks up at you and narrows his eyes. And because you know that future Sam is trying to get future you, you start going into a panic. He stands up and reaches in his pocket. 

Then he pulls out a knife. He rips the cover off it and flings it across the room. You hear a blood-curdling scream coming from the phone, and it slips out of your hand. You’re frozen in shock. Not Sam, It couldn't be Sam. But it is. He lunges at you, and your instinct kicks in. You roll out of the way and run down the hallway to the bedroom.

You slam and lock the door. It won't be long before he can force his way into the room. He tries at the door and keeps slamming his shoulder against it to try and open it for 20 minutes. You’ve hidden under the bed, but that was probably the next place he’ll look. You can hear him getting a running start, hear the sound of the door splintering, and can see his feet run into the room. He looks around, As soon as he turns his back on the bed, you jump out and sprint past him through the door. You run down the stairs, but can hear him coming after you. You slide into the bathroom and shove the little table by the sink against it. You jump up on the toilet and turn to the window to try and open it. But it won’t You see a brand new chain and lock installed on the outside of the window. Sam has been planning this for a long time. You hear Sam run past the bathroom door, and you assume that he doesn't know you’re in there. You quietly open the door and run in the opposite direction. But he hears you. He lets out a war-cry-like scream as he lifts the knife and brings it down towards you. You get out of the way in enough time to spare your life, but it still makes a deep gash in your arm. The pain is worse than anything you've ever experienced. 

"Holy...." Is all you're able to say before he tackles you. He takes another stab at you and you block it with your other arm, rendering both of them injured. You run to the door and head outside but just stay at the other side of the door. As soon as Sam runs outside, you bolt back inside and lock the door behind you. That should hold Sam off for a while. You look at your shaking arms. It hurts so bad you might pass out. But you don't, you can't. If you pass out, then Sam can get you, and Sam can kill you. You take a minute to recover and clench your teeth to deal with the pain. Looking for a good place to hide, you hear the sound of something slamming against the door. Sam. You don't have much time, so you run under the couch just as Sam breaks open the door. He darts upstairs and is yelling for you. "Annie, come out here you little..." And then your phone rings. Without looking at who's calling, you say

"Help!"

"What's happening?" The person on the other end says. You realize who is on the other end of the phone, yourself.

And this game of fear repeats. 


January 25, 2022 17:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.