Always listen to the Creepy Gas Station Guy

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Write a story about characters going on a summer road trip.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Horror Adventure

We stopped at a run down gas station, and in front stood the dirty, and creepy looking owner. He was missing a few teeth and looked cranky. Part of me understood, it felt like a hundred degrees today.

"Hey, can we get some gas?" My friend Betty asked chewing some gum loudly. Her white summer dress blew in a warm breeze. She stood with her arms crossed glaring at the man until he finally answered.

"Yeah, we sell gas." He retorted sarcastically. "If I was you, I would turn your car around. Teenagers been missing 'round these here parts." Betty rolled her green eyes as she put the nozzle into her gas tank. Several seconds passed and she tapped on the window with her red nails.

"Yes?" I inquired annoyed. "What do you need now?" She has dragged me on this trip for god knows what reason.

"Could you like get me some snacks?" She ordered with a snobby sneer. "I am like so hungry." Rolling my eyes, I got out of the creaking car, and into the gas station. My black summer dress hugged my curvy body perfectly. My long brown hair was in a braided side bun.Wandering around, my brown eyes found her stupid chips and some soda. Sighing, I ran up to the counter only to be greeted by a dark haired boy my age. His black t-shirt went below waist and over his black khaki shorts. His hazel eyes glistened with excitement.

"I see you met my grandfather." He teased with a crooked grin. "What is a girl like you doing going on a trip with a girl like her?" Chuckling to myself, my face flushed scarlet.

"She forced me to go." I exhaled. "Or more like my mother made me go with my step-sister." Rolling his eyes, he sighed deeply.

"If you make it, you should let me take you on a date." He teased playfully. My face twisted with confusion as he said that.

"Don't you live around here?" I interrogated with furrowed brows. "Besides what do you mean, if I live?" He leaned in real close and placed his lips on my red lips. My heart beat faster as it felt so right. Instinctively I pushed him away.

"I go the same college and I am just working here for the summer." He replied with a sheepish grin. "There is an angry forest spirit out there that kills teenagers and college kids." My eyes flickered with anxiety as he gave me my change.

"See you soon." I called as I left the gas station. My step-sister was scrolling through her phone when I tossed her chips and drink.

"What the hell took so long?" She chided me as she turned her key on. The car roared to life, but there was a strange clicking sound.

"You probably should get a new battery, or something." I warned cautiously. She laughed to herself as she turned to me with a dead look in her eyes.

"You are so stupid." She teased with a cruel grin. Angrily I crossed my arms and sat back. Trees flashed on my side of the window as stop signs faded to green thick nature all around us. Her car puttered to a stop in the middle of the dirt road.

"Did I not tell you to get it fixed before we left?" I chastised her sarcastically. "All I got is you are so stupid." Huffing she pulled out her cellphone, only to scream.

"I like have no cell service. " She screeched like a spoiled brat. "You push the car to the side of the road for me. I like don't want to ruin my nails." Sighing, I flipped her off as she got back into the driver's seat to steer it. The heavy car resisted me until finally I freaking won. Now I was all hot and sweaty from the hard work.

"Do you have your chips and soda still?" I inquired crankily. " I am hungry and thirsty." Her jaws smacked away as she threw me an empty bottle and bag of chips.

"There you go." She offered with a mean smirk. "You are too fat anyways." My fist clenched so hard my palms were starting to that red blood started to drip down my hand. My mouth opened up to yell when the forest went quiet all around us.

"Did you hear that?" I whispered softly. "I don't think we are alone." Her eyes lit up with joy as she laughed at me cruelly.

"It just like nature." She commented with a snap of her gum. "It is no biggie." Groaning, I rolled my eyes and glared at her intensely. Her hands raised up in a what position.

"Nature never stops, unless something is coming." I fumed with my gut telling me to get out of there. "Maybe we-" My mouth stopped speaking as a tall skeletal wolf demon thing stood in front of us. The evil energy washed over me. Upon looking over, I saw that Betty was still playing with her phone. I poked her until she looked up from her dumb phone. Her jaw dropped as her phone clattered against the ground.

"I want the blond one." A deep voice boomed through the quiet forest. "She is annoying, and does not respect nature." My eyes blinked and it was in front of us. A skeletal hand graced Betty's shoulder and was about to grab when I knocked it away.

"She may be the worse person on Earth, but she does not deserve to become whatever you need her to become." I protested with a firm look in my eyes. "Please spare her and we will leave. Forever." A loud maniacal laugh echoed around us.

"Here's a deal then." It boomed back at us. "How about your sister, or you both bite the dust." A slight smile danced across my lips at his last statement.

"Fine."I agreed. Betty's eyes filled with horror as she was about to be taken away when I shouted run. We sprinted down the road. Hoofs galloped after us, as Betty started to slow down. My hand went to pull her closer to me when a wooden arrow pierced my shoulder.

"Fuck!" I yelled as I gripped my shoulder. "Betty, hurry your ass up! I am running faster than you and I have a fucking arrow in my shoulder." Rolling her eyes, her tan legs finally caught up to me. My heart leaped with joy as the gas station appeared in front of us. A cold skeletal hand grabbed my leg and my face was being dragged in the dirt.

"Not my sister, you dick!" She bellowed as she pulled me from its grip. As she did, three claw marks appeared on my leg pouring blood. Betty grabbed me and carried me the ten feet to the run down gas station. The energy dissolved as soon as we were at it's door.

"My sister needs help!" She yelped with a nervous shake in her voice. The room was spinning around me as I darkness encompassed me.

Bright lights blinded as I woke up in a bright white room.

"Am I dead?" I asked weakly. A giggle erupted next to me.

"That stuff they gave you must be pretty good." Betty joked as she held my hand. "Thank you for saving me even though I am a royal bitch." Laughing to myself, I hugged her real tight.

"You saved me." I replied with a small grin. "I should be thanking you." Her eyes lit up with joy as she saw the grandson of the gas station walk in. His black button up shirt made him look extra fancy compared to yesterday.

"I will let you two have a moment." Betty stated as she winked at me.

"I never got your name. My name is Caleb." He teased with a crooked grin. "So how are you doing?" His eyes glistened playfully as I chuckled to myself.

"I am Rori." I replied as my face lit up with excitement. "I am okay, considering I survived." His face lit up with a small grin at my biting sarcasm.

June 23, 2021 21:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.