The Best Performance Ever

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a person experiencing pre-performance jitters.... view prompt

19 comments

General

The mirror was new; specially bought for her big day. Its border was made of some wood-based material of light green color, the top of which was spiraled into a twig like design. The leftover yellow light of the Sun, hanging from those pine trees outside was being reflected on the mirror. Below that yellow-green reflection, was to be seen her tensed face. It was gleaming with make up powder, one shade lighter from her own skin tone. But it was looking whiter. Because she was nervous... to much nervous. She would be called on the stage in just fifteen minutes.

She looked at her reflection tentatively, who smiled at her. The smile was reassuring.

-"It will be fine. Don't be afraid.", said her reflection.


-"I don't know. I don't think I can do this. I'll ruin everything."


-"Oh you are so good at it! Do you forget that all your life you've been doing this? You started performing on the stage... umm... yes, when you were 12 years old."


-"Yeah, but this is big. This show is of higher level than any of my previous shows. This is why I'm being so frightened. Otherwise I am habituated in performing publicly and quite confident in it as you've said."

She lifted a jug from the side table. She couldn't drink from a glass, as it might spoil the red lipstick. Her hand trembled and few drops of water fell on the front of her dress.


-"HEY! What do you think you are doing? Being an all thumbs?", yelled her reflection.


-"Oh God! What am I doing? What am I doing? I'm a ...", she tried to adjust her costume, while jabbering curses at herself.


-"Remember the dress is going to be a significant part of your performance. The costume should not be spoiled. The audience will be looking at---"


-"Yeah yeah, I know, I know. Don't make me feel like I'm a novice at this.", she yelled back.


Few moments passed in silence. She stood up and started pacing back and forth. She recalled her first performance. Yes, she was of twelve years then. It was her mother who first taught her acting. She was also a very famous performer. And her father was a director. That day her parents organized the show in their home. Many of her relatives came to see her performance. They all applauded her afterwards. But she remembered how difficult it had felt to memorize her dialogues. It was a very new thing to her. She had spent hours and hours practicing them, and days and nights crying, feeling she would never be able to do it. She remembered how hard it had proved to smile while performing. She began sweating head to toe. Her reflection was eyeing her pitifully. At last it spoke,

"You are thinking about your first performance. Aren't you?"


-"Yes. I am. I can not help it."


-"And what are you recollecting about that event, may I ask?"


-"That how much nervous I had been that day and how difficult performing on the staged appeared to me."


-"That's because that was your first day. Think about the shows in which you performed like a pro in the past years."

Her face remained grim. Her reflection continued,

"Okay. Tell me one thing. You are saying before your first performance you felt too much nervous. But once you got rid of it after your mother talked to you, then what did happen? You gave one of the best performances that anyone of twelve years could give."


-"Yes I... I remember.", muttered she.


-"You see, you are so skilled at it, that nothing can hinder your performance, save for your own nervousness."


-"What if... what if I forget the script?" Her face was now red.


-"The script? Have you ever forget your script? And you told me the toughest part of your dialogue is to follow something like a sermon. Isn't it?", asked the reflection.


-"Yeah, I've to utter what he will utter.", confirmed she, "But there is still that thing. That ordering of acts. You have to do this after that, that after this, and so on. Oh yes! And smile. You know well I have a problem with smiling in such situations. Whenever I become nervous, I stop smiling. But smile is so necessary in this performance! My character is very much happy, unlike me." She stopped and sighed.


"Hey, listen,", called her reflection, "Everything is going to be all right. I know you. I remember your first performance. Who doesn't spoil her first performance, won't be spoiling any performance in life."


"You sure?", she asked, trying to smile.

The reflection nodded silently, and gave her a calm cheerful smile.


The clock ticked, ticked and nearly touched five. Outside, the last hue of yellow was fading fast. The leaves of pine trees were not nodding. There was no wind, not even a slight breeze. Everything was still. She rose from her dressing stool. Her hands stayed hanging hesitantly at both sides of her thin waist. They seemed out of place. She stared at her pedicured feet and then at the lustrous maroon colored nails of her hands. Suddenly a dreadful thought came to her and she whispered to the reflection with rolled eyes,

"What if I trip on the green carpet?"


-"You won't. Don't bother too much.", replied the mirror confidently.


She went towards the door, opened it and looked outside. Then almost immediately she turned her glance at the mirror and said in a trembling voice,

"There are so many of them!"


-"Because it is going to be the biggest performance of your life. All have a highest point in their lives. Yours has come. Act best. Act as you have never acted."


Bearing these words in her mind, she stepped outside the dressing room, and did not look back. It was her wedding day. But the man standing on the stage, waiting for her, was not her lover. She loved someone else. "IT IS GOING TO BE MY BEST PERFORMANCE EVER."- she swore to herself.

July 17, 2020 10:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Amany Sayed
21:09 Aug 05, 2020

Oh my god! I loved it! I especially love the ending! You are truly a creative writer Hermoine! Wonderful Job! Also, though many are saying this, I love your pen name! Very creative as well! I would be grateful if you could check out and leave feedback on one of my stories whenever you get the chance. Thanks! -Amany-

Reply

14:55 Aug 09, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words. And I'd love to read your story.

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:55 Aug 09, 2020

🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kaye Salangsang
22:37 Jul 23, 2020

I loved the story. I feel the same way before every performance. Good job!

Reply

07:32 Jul 24, 2020

Thank You. Though it's not a regular performance that I've written about. But yeah, we feel the same.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tvisha Yerra
21:50 Jul 23, 2020

Ha, love your different perspective on Harry Potter and the prompt!

Reply

07:31 Jul 24, 2020

Hey thank you. But how did you know about my view on Harry Potter? I'm surprised.

Reply

Tvisha Yerra
16:03 Jul 24, 2020

Hermoine Granger and Luna Lovegood? Who could miss such an interesting combo!

Reply

07:33 Jul 26, 2020

Yeah(^_-) I think both of their qualities if added will make a nearly perfect human being.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ciaran O'Neill
12:28 Jul 23, 2020

I thought that dialogue structure was really excellent - it flows well and engages the reader. I would consider simplifying some of your descriptions - rather than tell us she looks tentatively, show us with a verb.

Reply

15:39 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you so much for your feedback. But for the later part of your review, can you give me an example of that? I cannot really understand what you mean to say.

Reply

Ciaran O'Neill
15:44 Jul 23, 2020

Of course. Things like "yelled her reflection" or "she asked, trying to smile". The dialogue speaks for itself, so you don't need to add these parts. It's honestly such a small thing though, the piece is great :)

Reply

15:47 Jul 23, 2020

Actually I wanted to expose the tone of that dialogue. But you're right. Too much doing that will make it boring. On a different note, I'm new here. That's my first story. I'm really thankful for your productive feedback. Please keep supporting.

Reply

Ciaran O'Neill
15:57 Jul 23, 2020

Welcome to Reedsy! It was a fantastic first story. Keep it up and I'm excited to see what else you come up with :)

Reply

16:00 Jul 23, 2020

^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:58 Jul 23, 2020

Great story, Hermione! Enjoyed reading it! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "Red, Blue, White?" Thank you!

Reply

15:40 Jul 23, 2020

Thank You Deborah. Yeah I'd love to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
11:18 Jul 31, 2020

Hermione I loved your story. The flow of ideas was beautiful and so was the dialogue. And oh, welcome to Reedsy. I pray you'll love it here and stay. Your story was brilliant. I liked it, I liked everything about it for the fact that you managed to keep my eyes on your story from intro to conclusion. Wow. Please keep it up and keep writing. It would absolutely delight me if you took a look at "Tell God" among my stories. I loved this, please keep writing.😍😘

Reply

04:47 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you thank you thank you so much. Yeah I'll love to read your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.