Contest #84 winner 🏆

103 comments

Fiction

The light that fills the room feels cold and blue, tinted by the shades across the window. This window faces south, so the light trickles in slowly and at first I can ignore it, but eventually I must open my eyes to this underwater light and take a deep breath in. 

I used to get up so early. Some days I would go outside and watch the sunrise, warming my hands with a mug of herbal tea. The world was quiet, but not still. I admired the people moving about the streets, getting an early start. We had something in common, they and I. We all knew the feeling of the first light of day rising over the mountains and hitting our faces. We carried that feeling with us throughout the day, like a token. But I haven’t seen them, those people of the sun, for months now. I peel back the sheets and stare at the ceiling fan, motionless and stagnant. The air is heavy and empty all at once. Perhaps, I think, it is the emptiness that has weight. I pull the sheets back up to my chin, shivering as they glide over my body. I cannot decide if I am warm or cold, in limbo. I consider shutting my eyes again, but I know that the morning light will find me and penetrate my eyelids the way it penetrates the shades, taking on a different tone as it shines through my skin. Red, urgent. And so I keep my eyes open, swimming in the blue. 

When I was a child I believed that in winter, as water froze, the fishes froze with it. I looked at the icy lakes and streams with curiosity, wondering how the fish survived. I mentioned this once to my mother, who smiled and told me that it is only the surface that freezes and not the fish. The ice forms a windowpane against the world, she told me. I could never decide which seemed worse, to be frozen or isolated. Now I feel that I am both, and it has been a long winter. I am unable to move. 

Continuing to stare, I try to appreciate the stillness, the silence, and the light. I know that I must get up and start the day. I will walk to the kitchen, I tell myself, and brew the coffee I switched out for my herbal teas. I will stand in my kitchen and … what then? Once the coffee is poured, what have I to do? I could change the sheets, or prepare dinner, or open the mail, but I don’t have the energy to do them all. These voyages, these escapades. I used to do those things and more in a single day, I suppose, though that seems so long ago. That was then, and this is now, and before I can get to those chores I must first get out of bed. 

I kick away the sheets, back where I began. Slowly I stretch out my legs and arms, as far as they can go, and then pull them back to my body. I am on my back. I try to lift myself up, starting with my shoulders, my vertebrae leaving my mattress one by one. I make it halfway up before sinking back down. Sinking into the bed as it cocoons me. Again I try, this time using my arms to support me. Slowly I bend at the waist, knees rising to meet my chest, reaching towards the ceiling. My muscles climb each other until only my feet and rear touch the mattress. I’ve nearly done it! I’m crouched! I’m sitting!

It’s uncomfortable. I lie back down. 

Is that enough? I wonder. Can I go back to sleep now? It takes so much, making the pieces of me come together. It wasn’t like that before the pandemic, before it left me treading water. I have changed, metamorphosed, but hasn’t everyone? Surely I cannot be the only one awake in bed, struggling to change my lifestyle, to even change my position. I unfocus, away from my body and back into the comfort of my mind. Fish swim through my thoughts, my movements. It’s strange, I think, that you never see the fish moving underneath the ice. Maybe they are frozen, just in a different way.

I lie there a bit longer, waiting for nothing. Time drifts aimlessly, perfectly willing to leave me behind. It should be peaceful, but I feel chained down rather than supported. Try again, I whisper, for real this time. I lift my head from my pillow and slide my elbows underneath my rising body. My arms become two perfect triangles, the strongest shape, holding me up. My legs, two more triangles, lifting and bent. I rise upwards. Knees, shoulders, equal. Hands, feet, level. Hips, bed. Feet, floor.  

I’m standing. A jumbled mess of body parts, but standing. 

I know that if I try to make the bed I’ll inevitably fall back into it, so I do not. Instead I make my way to the bathroom, noticing the cold touch of the tile against the pads of my feet. I ignore my appearance in the bathroom mirror, directing my attention elsewhere. I crane my neck under the faucet, spilling myself into the sink. I turn the handle, and the cold water hits me in the face. From somewhere in the garage my water heater rumbles to life. I keep my face under the water until it warms. Until it warms me. 

I bring my face up from the sink, shut off the water, and pat myself with a towel. Some of my hair has gotten wet, and it cups my face with its dark little curls, clinging to my tragus and forehead. Water trickles down my temple and outlines my jaw. The beads of liquid move slowly at first, growing in size until they form perfect drops that fall from my face. I trace my fingertip down from my hairline, following the curved path left by water. Flowing, serene.  

Turning towards the doorway, I focus on my feet. One after the other I make my way to the kitchen, my fingertips tingling slightly as I trail them across the walls. Once in the kitchen, I prepare the coffee slowly, methodically, and savor the sound of it pouring into my favorite mug. As I take a deep breath in, the steam curls upwards into my nostrils, comforting.

I’ll do something different today, I decide, taking my first sip. It’s warm, filling my mouth and sliding easily down my throat. I walk, the movement fluid, the fish swimming freely. A sense of togetherness. I walk through the backdoor and outside, into the sun, swimming upstream. 

March 11, 2021 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

103 comments

Vika Kurashova
09:08 Apr 27, 2021

oof no megusta esto lol bark bark

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
11:26 Apr 23, 2021

Would you please comment at my story I need to talk to a fairy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
11:26 Apr 23, 2021

Congrats, You are a living inspiration , your writings are full of positivity, wisdom, conviction and enthusiasm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshara P
02:10 Apr 20, 2021

Congratulations! I really loved this. The writing was creative!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marianna Mills
00:22 Apr 18, 2021

Nice work, well done details, smooth and inviting story. congrats

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yair Vega
19:38 Apr 13, 2021

I still like this story he he :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sky Daniels
10:43 Apr 13, 2021

I totally understand how you feel last year and heck parts of this year, though not complete have been hard-knocks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yair Vega
19:42 Apr 12, 2021

I like this story, this story is very awesome and I like it because of the fish which I find it very funny

Reply

Show 0 replies
Harry Rapheal
10:27 Apr 11, 2021

Welcome to Dr Wobe lottery spells. i am here to testify about the great Dr Wobe for saving my life from herpes virus.i have been through hell all this years but i thank God for not letting my trust down, and also i want the entire universe to know that there is a cure to any kind of diseases in the word and never to loose hope because i have great testimony today in my life,  Dr Wobe is described by many titles some including. Traditional healer, spell caster, astrologer, Psychic reader, spiritual healer, in Africa, he cast powerful spells. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zae Johnson
20:16 Apr 08, 2021

I love how you included the fish in the story, and how you described the character getting out of bed. I was a little distracted by the way you talked about the character moving, I was confused as to what the character was. Was it a fish, was it a human. Who knows. Overall great story, I loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ryan LmColli
16:56 Apr 08, 2021

This is such a compelling story, raw, powerful, and real. Clear as glass but still sharp and stingy. You have an amazing talent for writing, especially when it comes to the emotion. The emotion is just so perfect with the words, and it flows through your mind like a surging river. I can tell this has a lot of effort into it, and I love your writing! Beautiful piece :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sean Salzman
14:34 Apr 05, 2021

I really enjoyed your story. The light-as-water metaphor was brilliant and gave me an excellent visual of the scene. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gian Apostol
12:40 Apr 05, 2021

Thank you this gave me motivation to finally do a part of my homework I find the hardest.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scott Chadwick
15:49 Apr 01, 2021

The story felt heavy with sadness, I found it poignant to my experiences with depression and then mercifully, a ray of light ending. If I may offer feedback? I felt the mention of the ear part "tragus" pulled me away from a descriptive scene of washing your face (a mighty struggle for those dealing with depression.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mollie Dent
23:30 Mar 30, 2021

Your story had so much detail and I really love to way you write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:32 Mar 29, 2021

I loved it <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:30 Mar 29, 2021

Very atmospheric, very evocative. Your words are simple, yet powerful. Brevity, it seems, is your forte. The precision with which the emotions are conveyed, plus, the fabulous spot on simplistic words make for a very realistic reading. The plotting as well the theme resonates with our current reality. A very well dereved win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Atenaga Monday
11:36 Mar 29, 2021

https://youtu.be/GfSQ1ZoMhiQ Please like and subscribe to my channel And I love your story I need some mentoring from you I guess

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shea West
21:08 Mar 26, 2021

My mind can get really busy and distracted sometimes when I read. But the simple but rich words you put here held me in place the entire time. It gave me the feeling of, "Do what you know." Sometimes it's that simple right? Sitting, standing, moving a foot, drinking. These are things most of know, and to return to them after a period of heaviness makes the most sense. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kakashi Hatake
18:05 Mar 26, 2021

bruh tf

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.