0 comments

Drama Romance Suspense

This was supposed to be the perfect day, the day I would finally propose to her. We rented a little cabin in the woods, it was perfect. I had great views and only one complaint that there was some problems with the wiring, but I wasn't worried about that. I had gone to make sure the I has the perfect place to pop the question. As I was walking back there was smoke and I wondered where it was coming from. The fire was so hot my eyes burned even though I was a mile away. My heart stopped when I saw the fire in the distance. I had only been gone for twenty minutes, how could she set the house on fire already. I ran towards the house as fast as my legs could take me. When I reached the house, it was already engulfed in flames. "Babe! Are you in there?" There was no response. My mind raced a million miles an hour. Should I go in or should I not? I'm going to do it. I rammed the door with my shoulder and it fell in. The smoke hit me right away. It blind me and scratched my throat. I pulled my shirt over my face and walked in. I didn't know where to go first. I tried to walk into the kitchen, but it was so hot the fridge looked as if it was going to melt. I stumbled back, coughing up the smoke. I was rethinking my choice until I heard a faint cry of help. "Amber! Babe! Where are you?" I screamed as loud as I could. "John! I am in the bedroom." I stumbled around the house until I got to the bedroom. I opened the door and ran in the flames licked my heels as I made it in the room by the skin of my teeth.

It took me a moment to find where she was. I saw her curled up on the bed in a fetal position. I rushed over to her and touched her back. She turned her face to me, she had tear streaks running down her face and burns on her arms and legs. I picked her up and held her as close as I could. "I am so sorry." she sobbed. I shook my head and place my lips on her trembling ones. I brushed her hair back with my hands. I looked over each of her burns, most of them weren't that serious. "What happened?" I asked her. She filled me in on the story. She had gone to take a shower because I said we were going to take photos in a field after I got back from my "walk". When she was getting dressed she realized she smelled something burning. She opened the door and the flames leapt out at her lashing her with their sharp tongue. I held her close to me again taking in her scent, which was all muffled by the smell of smoke. "We are going to out of here." I picked her up off the bed and headed to the door. I went to open the door, but the metal door handle burned my hand. "Shit!" I pulled my hand away. She cried even harder realizing we were trapped in this house. The smoke was smothering us and the heat was enough to make you throw up. I looked around everywhere and couldn't find a place to escape. Then it hit me the window. I went over to the window and tried to yank it open. I could only open it a little bit, but she would be able to fit through. I shoved her through the window and to safety. She turned around with a smile on her face thinking we were safe. Her face fell when she saw me shutting the window from inside the house. She ran up to the window and tried to open it again. She was crying even harder now, asking me to let her back in. I opened it an inch, just enough so many hand could slide out. I the cool breeze hit my hand and I knew it would be the last time I felt a breeze. I reached my hand back in and grabbed the ring. I held it out to her. "I love you more then anything in this world. I know we don't have long, but I wanted to to give you one last gift." She took the ring and slid it on her finger even though it must be burning hot. How nice her soft hands felt on my hot ones. I tried to savor this moment. She kissed my hand before I pulled it back. This is the best way to go right? Letting someone you love live. I smiled and mouthed that I loved her. I turned away so she wouldn't see the fear in my eyes. I could hear her pleas for me to let her back in. My heart cried for her, but I wanted her to live her life. I stood there for only a few seconds but it felt like hours. I could picture what could've been our future; A nice house, kids and then years down the road grandchildren. I was a wonderful life that she could still have and I wanted that for her. I tried to take a breath, but all I got was smoke. My throat burned with unimaginable pain and my eyes stung so bad it was a struggle to keep them open. I needed to do something to end the pain. I opened the door and a wave of heat rolled over me. I had to laugh at myself, what harm could faulty wiring do? Now I knew. I shook my head as tears fell down my face. A million different memories raced through my head; Not just ones of her and I, but ones of my mom and dad. Some of these memories I didn't even know I had. What funny things your brain does. I braced myself before I walked into the flames for the last time.

October 20, 2020 12:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.