2 comments

Suspense Fiction

The fire crackled silently and uncaring, laboring away as if he had a job to do and was determined to do so exceptionally. His had always been the fate of mystics as lovers, schemers and all-around dreamers had come to him through the ages. Yearning for his discretion, his wisdom, his presence to bring them warmth upon many such heavy nights.

Tonight, his was the only real connection the creatures reveling in his benevolence had, to the outside world. A connection that broke the barriers of time and understanding, he had witnessed it all in this secluded place, he had heard it all, seen it all, felt it … All. Protecting many from darkness, some from loneliness, whilst others from hunger or cold. He had stared deep into the eyes of all and had known them. He had lashed out in punishment, he had scarred and burnt and he would continue to do so for as long as there was air to breathe and a world to feel.

He was eternal!

Tonight though, he was content. For the logs were blazing systematically and without fault.

There were only two of them now, one weathered and sure of herself, beautiful, and as dark as the world outside these walls. He favored her deeply. It was not her first time here with him and each time she had come he had marveled in her spirit. Not unlike an ember, beautiful to watch but painful to hold with a careless hand.

The other one was still a sapling. Soft. Bold. Spirited. A young flame ready to soar, full of powerful surprise. He decided right then and there that she was worthy of the kiss.

Sitting lavishly, arms length from each other, not a care in the world. They felt content and alive, enjoying it with every breath they took.

Flame stretched lazily upon her pillow and yawned. She looked towards Ember and paused. She was studying her, gathering her thoughts. Everything was heat and air and everything he saw he understood, and yet he still marveled.

“Why am I here?” she asked as he pulled herself up a bit.

“What do you mean by why? You’re here to please and be pleased. You are here to live!” Ember replied.

“Yes, yes, you’ve said so before,” she dropped on her pillow again nervously, “ but why are you here then?” stretching.

“The same as you, there’s room for both of us, isn’t there?” as her eyes narrowed playing at the light in the room. “You feeling threatened already girl?”

“I’ll always feel threatened, you were here first. Plus, you were born into this lifestyle, you’ve never seen what I’ve seen. You’ve never felt what I’ve felt. I was …”

“Lucky!” she had caught Ember’s full attention. “You were lucky. That’s why I’m telling you to live. You have nothing to worry from me, I’m actually glad for the break, he gets so needy sometimes. Hmpf!”

“He does, doesn’t he?! He has such soft hands, I could never get tired of them” and she stretched again lavishly.

“Trust me, honey. You will!”

“Yeah, I hope so.”

He was indeed content, playing with their shadows he was trying to capture what was left out of the conversation. Those hidden truths that were always left out in moments like these, when frost and stone battled so vigorously with warmth. How could creatures reject their own warmth so much, yet yearn for his so hungrily.

“You’ve been on the streets?” Ember asked, delicately.

“Yes. Not so long ago.”

“What happened? I thought Master had found you in one of those nasty shops. I’d always thought that you’ve always been cared for.”

Upon hearing the word, he crackled vigorously catching a blob of resin to fuel his anger. Only he was Master, without him there was no life, without warmth there was only darkness. Yes, the creatures fed him and cared for him, but he was no Master. He was just sentient meat and these two should know better.

They stared curiously at him as he savoured his moment of grandeur, perched upon his crumbling throne of logs and ash, limited by the stone walls, he looked so … limitless.

“I’ve never understood the importance of warmth until I was alone. It’s amazing how many vital things we take for granted in life: warmth, food, friendship.” said Flame silently, still mesmerized by the fire.

“Only when you’re young, honey.” said Ember as she snuggled close to Flame, trying to chase away the whorefrost that made its way into her heart. “You learn to appreciate all these things with time, not only through loss, but by paying attention to the joy they bring to those you love. You just had a swifter, crueler lesson.”

“Mmmmm! You feel so good.” she said as Ember was nuzzling her ear.

“Love has taught me many things, by giving and receiving it. You’ll learn as well with time, Master chose well with you. Where you alone for long?”

“No” snuggly, “I was back to working the window after the second night.” she closed her eyes dreamily, drowning herself in Ember’s caresses.

He felt hot, hotter than usual, as if the presence of their joined warmth fueled his own. He fed upon the logs with greed trying to envelop the room with his presence, envious of the two creatures’ togetherness.

A shiver caught at him suddenly bringing with it the sound of outside cold. Startled by the attack he gathered himself and looked upon the room, towards the pillows. They were both watching intently towards the room where they kept the food.

“Was that the window crashing?” asked Flame.

“Shush girl! Windows don’t crash on their own.” as she was getting up, hairs could be seen sticking out allover her body. “We need to hide!”

Cold was pouring into the room, the intrusion fueling his anger. This was his home! Shadows started dancing wildly on the walls in expectation of what it was to come. One more joined them and it felt to him as if the world had frozen still. Across the room a black pit of darkness gazed back at him, and for half a spark the world shuddered with recognition. There was no warmth there, only frost, and the only light that touched the shadow was in those amber eyes he loathed so much. Eyes that ever mocked him, capturing his light so fully, so brilliantly, only to shield the darkness that crept within.

He roared violently, banging at the walls of his prison, pulling at the essence of his throne with all his might, reaching towards his age old foe. Shadow stood unwavering at the show of brute strength and decided to take a step forward, another, and another. Coming close to the grate and watched as Fire writhed helplessly in agony.

It turned around and surveyed the room, slowly turning his head from left to right, sucking hungrily at the warmth, feeling for something. Turning towards the left he kept his head low and bristled up in expectation, walking slowly behind a corner.

Silence followed as the fire wreathed in its frustration. The shadows were dead on the walls, laughing at him franticly from different angles. Something bulky moved and then an eruption followed as objects exploded in every direction. Ember came flying towards him, hitting the pillows and tumbling lifelessly towards the grate. Flame lunged at Shadow from behind, managing to strike an annoying blow on the monster. Realizing the futility of her actions she ran, leaping and jumping she went up the stairs. Shadow followed in full rage.

All was silent again. He looked down at Ember and saw steam rising from her gashes as the cold enveloped her tightly. He felt ended as he flickered steadily towards ash.

How many lives has the cold taken over the years, how many scenes of this kind he had witnessed? What use was he when warmth was snuffed around him heedlessly, with such ease. His rage now fully turned to agony, he pulled at the last log so he wouldn’t have to witness anymore. As he did so the log split showering the room with sparks. The pillows pushed forward by Embers descent into the cold caught the sparks caught and the velvety lace lit up.

He was Free! As he gathered strength he looked around to see what he could use. From fabric to fabric he reached for the walls and caught at the curtains pulling himself up with all his might. From his new vantage point he saw a lamp and launched at it. It shattered spraying the room in droplets of ignited oil. He was now Infinite.

Burning vigorously he crawled towards the staircase from all sides and started climbing. At the top of the stairs he looked down the corridor to see Shadow bashing with fury at a small hole in the wall, the Master’s bedroom. She was still alive.

Sensing his approach Shadow redoubled his resolve flinging himself vengefully towards his mark. Once, twice, thrice and he was through. Fire’s crawl went slower still as the feed was sparser here, yet he was relentless, grasping at anything in his path. Little by little he made his way and grabbed for the opening.

Shadow was nipping at something beneath the canopy bed, running from one side to the other in a desperate attempt to ignore his fate, ravenous with hate.

Fire made his way around the room with murderous intent and having circled the bed, he moved to the posts and through the canopy. He would take pity now.

The canopy collapsed to the ground and enveloped Shadow who yelped in agony. Caught by surprise he felt the noose tighten around his neck. The flames were biting deep now as he jumped around trying to pry the fabric from his skin. Everywhere he landed Fire would reach out for him, pulling at his leg, scratching at his throat.

Shadow crashed into the bed collapsing into a sea of sparks. As he did so he caught a glimpse of a frightened Flame pulling herself away from the burning wreck towards the far window. He mustered all of his hate and pain and pounced towards her. Fire in all his power pulled at the dresser on his path and knocked the monster from his murderous intent.

Inertia carried Shadow through the window and on the porch, Flame followed quickly.

It was done and now somewhere deep inside the house he looked upon Ember’s body with remorse. He had favored her so. He snuggled close to her, trailing a soft finger over her delicate lines. She would be warm again.

Outside a man was surveying the burning house as he hugged the surviving Flame as he said: “My dear sweet cat, you’re safe now.”

January 23, 2021 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Francis Perez
03:09 Feb 11, 2021

Hi: I enjoyed reading your story. The writing is beautiful and imagery extremely vivid. There was a nice flow to the story which made it very readable. I thought that the personification of the fire was very imaginative. I did find it difficult to understand the theme, and in the end, I was left asking what is the point of this story. Thank you, Frank

Reply

George Puscuta
10:26 Feb 22, 2021

Hi Frank, Thanks for the great feedback. As I was writing 'Warmth' I felt as if something was missing. Thank you for showing me what that was, I had focused too much on the How and not enough on the Why. I spent some time thinking about it, my point was that everyone needs Warmth, to feel that we have someone to give or to take it from, some in desperation wish to do so through violence, but the intent is always the same. Thanks again, George

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.