15 comments

Funny

Honesty is the best policy, but only by default. It is the least worst option. This applies not only to politics, historical inquiry, business deals and game shows, but also, agonizingly enough, to matters of the heart. Walter Pendrick learnt this the hard way. If, on one very fateful occasion, he’d honestly expressed his feelings, the dreary morass of his later life may have been very different.

I Detest You. Three little words—in Walter’s case barely making up three syllables—which, with the possible exception of the second word, trip so easily from the tongue. He had certainly planned to say them. Had practiced in front of a mirror. The build up had been long, the moment propitious. Yet, when his immediate superior, at an end-of-year office party, clapped him on the shoulder and said, “Not a bad little soiree, eh Walt?”—Walter only smiled wanly, may even have murmured, “Yeah, not bad, Dave,” before taking a sip of his bitter drink and sighing softly, dishonestly. It’s probably not going too far to say it broke him.

David “Dave” Glover, an acting area supervisor in admin support at the Department of Outreach, had been one of the three officers to interview Walter for a job. Upon shaking Dave’s hand, Walter had experienced a curious shock. Something about the hand seemed to rub him the wrong way, a certain smug plumpness in the palm, particularly around the thenar eminence or mound of Venus, something self-satisfied, mindless, bulky and pressing, like a pig happily scratching its rump on a rock. But it was over in an instant, and Walter thought no more of it. In fact, the interview had gone well. Dave’s occasional light-hearted interjections—it wasn’t, for instance, compulsory to be mad to work here, but apparently it helped—these comments relieved some of the inevitable tension. Walter wasn’t lying when he said the second-floor division of admin support sounded like a work environment he would very much enjoy.

And he did, for three or four days. It was during morning tea on Thursday that Walter realized he might have stronger feelings for Dave than he’d hitherto suspected. Dave was making an impromptu, jocular little speech congratulating Gail on her recent promotion. Gail was smiling (and she wasn’t alone) and it seemed genuine. Walter, though, had to grab a filing cabinet so as not to stagger at the sudden tumult in his breast, an upwelling of black hate and ill-will he’d never experienced before, nor ever suspected could exist. Such a depth of wild, untamed passion in such a mild young clerk grade-one seemed preposterous, even to him. But there he was.

“Know thyself” is also good. Walter had read books and took self-knowledge seriously. So that night, horizontal on his couch, glass of water on a little table beside him, he tried to grapple honestly with himself. He went over and over the morning tea. And it wasn’t hard to pinpoint the moment his hate had first issued like molten rock from a live vent on the ocean floor. It had started the moment, mid-speech, Dave had rested his hand on his portly tum. Gently, caressingly, unconsciously yet obviously meant to proudly hint at the horn of plenty. We were all chums here, full of common foibles and hearty chuckles, because, in the final analysis, weren’t we all human? Dear God. If hate couldn’t find a way, Walter was lost.

How to comport himself at work became, for Walter, a torment. Breathe, he often had to tell himself. Obviously a nine-to-five office was not the place to tell a fellow-man you hated him more than all the sulphur in the deepest mines of hell. Words probably weren’t up to the job, anyway. Keeping himself in a rough, trembling sort of order, Walter did try to throw out hints. He’d wander into Dave’s office—all were welcome in Dave’s office, anytime, Dave leaning back in his chair, hand on tum—Walter would wander in with a newspaper to highlight stories about catastrophes with shocking death tolls. Or he’d recommend books and films that glorified serial killers and destroyers of childhood innocence. Dave was often interested, always had a look-see, but he never made the connection. He seemed to have no clue of Walter’s true feelings.

Walter would observe Dave closely—something not hard to do in an office—always listening out for any words or phases or ideas that seemed to make his boss unhappy. For one exciting week, Walter was convinced Dave was seriously disturbed by glycolysis. But it was a temporary blip in the man’s impenetrable glad-handing self-satisfaction. Walter kept watching and waiting, his hate a pure flame, but increasingly without hope. The heart, sadly, really is a lonely hunter.

Walter may well have gone mad if not for his good friend Gloria Calibresi. She had spunk, a wicked laugh, and knew how to chuck Walter where it hurt.

“Such a mighty passion for this dobbin,” she said. “Maybe, deep down, you actually love him.”

This irritated Walter. “Why is it, when a person falls head-over-heels in love with someone, no one ever says, ‘Aha! Underneath you must really hate them’?”

“Ha!—true—they don’t!” Gloria cried with a delighted laugh. “But then, it’s always easier to speak truth to power than to greeting cards.”

“No,” Walter concluded glumly, “I hate him more than life itself. It’s really the only thing I know in this world.”

Gloria was unusually gentle. “Well then, pencil-dick, you’ll have to tell him.”

Although Walter initially dismissed this out of hand, it kept returning, till it stuck. Tell Dave his true feelings? The thought started to make him giddy. His imagination lit up. He had colorful visions of the big moment. At morning tea, Dave, hand on tum, wrapping up with “Now, is there any other business?” Walter saying, yes, in fact there was something he’d like to say. Murmurings of surprise, a turning of heads. He left his wording vague—the three little words needed context, a preamble of some sort—but the reaction of his co-workers was stunning to behold. The scales falling from their eyes. Dave naked before them, scaly tum drooping hideously, done in for all time. Walter standing on a plinth, holding Dave’s freshly severed red right hand up to the light. Tears for the Free! Blood for the Reborn! Dave, dead in his soul, simply awaiting the micro-sloughing of his worthless hide. “This way!” Walter always concluded, stepping manfully down from the plinth as morning tea broke up for the last time…

This renewed surge of hate overflowed Walter's soul and began to color all his life. He no longer waited in cues, rather he snapped and snarled and was let through. He told waitresses to hurry the hell up. He wrote scathing letters to leading public figures, laying bare their smallness. He submitted a book review to a respected journal where the editor, a jaded man, found it so thrillingly vicious, its Sadean cruelties so irresistibly bloody, he ran it on page three. Walter cheated and grifted and threatened his way to pulling together an off-Broadway production, the maniacally satirical Davy Poppins. After a violent row with his landlady—rent was for pussies—he penned the controversial best-seller Dave and Punishment. His proudest achievement in this period, though, was the titanic, obsessive, largely unread novel, Davy Dick.

Just as Walter was sketching the outline of a projected revenge play, Davlet, Prince of Tum, a memo was sent out at work. It was mid-November, so time to start planning the end-of-year office party. It gripped him like a fever. This would be his masterpiece, the culmination of everything. And all it would take was three little words. David Glover would be left broken, totally without speech or hope. Not an atom of the paunchy glad-hander would be left unexposed. All would see and gasp and assent. Truth would be enthroned. Dave would resign. Walter would rise.

But, as we have seen, the big night was a bust. Walter suspected he’d probably over-thought it. His three little words, I Detest You, were perfect, but, in the real world, does the opportunity for perfection ever naturally arise? Walter thought he had every contingency covered. But Dave’s hand on his shoulder, his egregious use of the word “soiree”, had ruined everything. So Walter went home, leaving the world pretty much as it was.

* * *

Walter Pendrick continued to work at the Department of Outreach, and Dave continued as area manager. But it wasn’t the same. Sure, Walter didn’t like Dave, avoided him as much as possible, but he felt no true hatred for him. Dave was just a dolt, and dolts were a dime a dozen in this dreary world. Walter stopped seeing Gloria, too—he suspected she’d never really got it, and her acid tongue was tiresome.

At home, lying on his couch, watching telly or the wall, Walter would sometimes try to imagine what his life might have been like, if he’d said those three little words. But nothing suggested itself, and even the effort bored him.

Three decades later, at Walter’s retirement party, someone mentioned David Glover’s name. What had happened to him? Apparently, fifteen years previous, he’d left to work at a bank. Huh, Walter thought. How had he missed that?

A few years later, at home, lying on the couch, Walter felt a shooting pain in his left arm, then a dizziness in his head, then a tight gripping pain in his chest. This was it. Just before he died, his face lobster-red, lips blue, he snarled angrily, “I detest you!”

November 15, 2022 08:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Michał Przywara
21:02 Nov 20, 2022

"I Detest You" - not the three little words I expected for this prompt :) Ah, this was lovely and hilarious. And it's uncanny how parallel this is to a love-lost story. When he had the opportunity to profess his true feelings, he choked, and after that his life turned grey. He died alone, and carried that regret in his heart to the very end - his last utterance. I suspect Walter was afraid of commitment. He looked for "the perfect moment", but there is of course no such thing in reality. To be tripped up by "soirée" is a cop out. His hea...

Reply

Jack Bell
03:24 Nov 21, 2022

The very first story I read on this site, a month or so ago, was your “What Friends Are For.” And it remains a favourite – maybe you can see why! Love and hate are not opposites but different poles on an emotional continuum. Indifference, the opposite of both, is the killer. Wild and passionate love requires its owner to act ethically—it’s no different with hate. I recently read an essay on Saul Bellow, which detailed how he populated his novels with vicious satires of ex-wives, old friends, professional colleagues, etc. To paraphrase Tim ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:22 Nov 25, 2022

A thin line between love and hate? Both giving someone a sense of purpose. The character of Walter is well-drawn. I’m guessing Dave was the person Walter secretly wanted to be - even though he seemed to despise him. I wonder what would have happened if Walter had said he detested his boss? Maybe a great deal, maybe nothing much. Dave may not have taken it seriously. He seemed the irritating kind of character that might rise above it. I enjoyed reading your story. It made me laugh - always a good thing in these times. Thank you Jack

Reply

Jack Bell
00:49 Nov 26, 2022

Thanks, Helen. IF Dave had an opinion regarding Walter, and it's a big if, it would probably resemble the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's verdict on planet earth: "Mostly harmless."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
03:07 Nov 21, 2022

Oh wow, I love when a prompt is approached in a way I did not expect. To live with hate will certainly drive one mad, and you did a wonderful job of demonstrating that through Walter's character. But I am wondering what was to gain for Walter had he expressed his hate? He mentions Dave quitting, so I'm guessing he was in it for some sort of power? Not necessarily Dave's job, but just to know his hatred of him drove him out? I imagine that would feel powerful in an evilish sort of way... This is just my speculation. Words unsaid will certainl...

Reply

Jack Bell
23:38 Nov 21, 2022

Thanks, Anne Marie. I think your question - "what was to gain for Walter had he expressed his hate?" - is the crucial real-world question that Walter can never ask himself. He prefers to stay true to his delusion. His hatred is divine wrath, something which elevates him to the status of all-thundering Zeus. A delusion which collapses the moment Dave says a casual Hi to him. Originally I'd planned to do an inversion of the love-muse -- instead of Petrarch's love for Laura, Walters hate for Dave. But as it turned out, Walter's "achievements" ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
01:26 Nov 21, 2022

"The build up had been long, the moment propitious." It's almost Russian. Except I would only give humor to Gogol and Pushkin out of the big ones. THE NARRATOR LOVES DAVE. WALTER LOVES DAVE. Now everyone can go back and reread this story or listen to it on audio and see the depth of this relationship. It's not a parallel. It's that type of love a man could have for another man without it being sexual. Okay, maybe it's partially sexual but that's not important. You're not supposed to mess with coworkers like that. He died alone like Ivan ...

Reply

Jack Bell
03:38 Nov 21, 2022

Two of my favourites from the Russian masters are “Notes from the Underground” and “Diary of a Madman”. What can I say?—I was brought up on sitcoms. The idea that the Underground Man’s spleen, the sheer malicious self-pleasuring self-hating wicked joy of it – that this is the final bulwark of individual freedom...hmmmm, can’t be true, surely! Absolutely spot on that “it’s partially sexual but that’s not important”. At least not important according to our current narrow, skittish take on the old beast. Sex is our most direct point of contact...

Reply

Tommy Goround
12:56 Nov 21, 2022

Noice. I keep using Moby Dick to show these guys some subtext. I like the Pushkin story called "the latrine" where all the Russians are waiting for their paychecks for 2 months at a wedding. The government chaste of money falls into the toilet in the entire bridal party runs into the toilet to get paid. Note: I think there's a second artist that goes by Pushkin. One is from the 1800s and the second one is from 1940s or 1950s. I'll check out those titles you mentioned.

Reply

Jack Bell
23:50 Nov 21, 2022

I don't want to read "the latrine" -- I want to write it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
19:22 Nov 20, 2022

Oh my Lord. The penning of the revenge plays and books had me in stitches. Davy Poppins! Another highlight for me was the description of the handshake. Just sublime, with some porcine metaphors. Loads of other vivid metaphors throughout help paint a picture of Walt's state of mind. And I can picture Dave simply because he used the word 'soiree', haha. Great Job!

Reply

Jack Bell
03:17 Nov 21, 2022

Thanks Jim – kind words from someone who knows comedy’s where it’s at!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
09:17 Nov 15, 2022

This was well written, Jack. It was a little dark, yes, but I found the humor to be fantastic.

Reply

Jack Bell
23:36 Nov 15, 2022

Thanks, Delbert. I had planned an upbeat ending, then darkness won out. Personally, I blame Lilith -- never could resist her charms.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:25 Nov 29, 2022

DAVLET --- bwahahahhahah

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.