2 comments

General

Bitter gusts ripped at my clothing. The wind penetrated the polyester fibres which absurd ease and every drop of icy rain soaked through the instant of its impact. My body heat didn’t do so much as drain away or leach out slowly, it abandoned me with callous speed to leave me helpless and shivering too violently to flee.

As they say, ‘Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.’


When I began to cry, the tears left frozen track marks on my face and they would have gone with anyone who promised them warmth, even if it meant captivity again. My dainty slippers were caked in mud and the storm had battered my jet black hair into a tangled mess.

Just one step back and then I didn’t have to bear the penetrating scene that I had just walked in on. The facts were deniable but my eyes do not lie. I had to face it.

As they say, ‘A watched pot never boils.’


 I braced myself for the impact. My body twirled and jerked as I fell. The wind in my face made it impossible to breathe, I felt like I’d suffocate before I even got the signal. Time seems to slow down when you’re falling. In the seconds it takes you to reach the ground, you’d already be hurt.

As they say, ‘Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.’


“ Rylie, nonononono!” He shouted. His voice clouded out as I thought of happy memories, my parents, old friends, times with James on the happiest, brightest days days. I sank deeper as the coldness wrapped itself around me as if it were a blanket. Closing my eyes, I felt lighter and lighter. I kept on going but now I just needed to recharge. There comes a point where you no longer care if there’s a light at the end of the tunnel or not. You’re just sick of the tunnel. People think being betrayed on is sadness. People think being betrayed on is crying. People think being betrayed on is dressing in black. But people are wrong, just to know they haven’t actually been through it is a big difference. Being cheated on consatantly is the feeling of being exposed, numb and unable to live. It backstabs you whenever you don’t know its attacking. You don’t even realize you’re in it once you take the few breaths and look back at what you’ve missed out on; happiness, life and love, true love.

As they say, ‘You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.’


The force of sinking in water is unbearable. My head pounds, every cell in my body is screaming for oxygen. I keep fighting until I feel like my head Is about to explode, I have to take a breath. So I do. For some reason it doesn’t hurt like I thought it would, I’m not scared anymore, it’s almost peaceful actually. The dark indigo water swirls around me, trapping me, keeping me from the oxygen I needed. My entire body is throbbing, my lungs feel as though they've been set on fire. Slowly, black begins to seep in at the edge of my vision. I try to open my mouth to breathe, but I only got salty water. Then, ever so slowly, everything faded away. Painfully, quietly. It was too hard to try to fight this as I wanted this in the first place. So I simply let the darkness take over me. I begin to fall. I fall further and further into the darkness until it threatens to swallow me whole.

As they say, ‘Once done, never undone.’


I could feel warm droplets pierce through my skin. The twinkling sunlight reflected on my face in an unknown, bold pattern. I felt numb but I could feel warmth around me. Something or someone was rubbing my hands and face to keep me warm. Shuttering my eyes open, all i could see was James, great I was now a ghost. “James?” My voice came out wobbly and uncertain. I reached out shakily and touched his cheek, his hair, his nose and every crook and corner of his face.. Suddenly my thoughts were clouded out, for once...


“Would you like some coffee?” He spoke.

“At the age of...., I’d definitely want some, thank you.”

We both gazed at each other wistfully, everything was perfect. James and I were once young and incompatible. Now gleefully old birds. All it took was...years.

As they say, ‘A woman never tells her age.’

It isn’t what they say, it’s what they whisper.







November 06, 2019 21:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rima ElBoustani
22:43 Dec 18, 2019

I love the "As they say...) sentences and the end line "It isn't what they say, it's what they whisper." Excellent lines, but you need a little work on correct grammar. Good job!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
22:47 Dec 23, 2019

Thank you so much for the advice and for reading the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.