0 comments

Funny Kids

 I worked on putting the finishing touches of my Vampire Queen make-up on and looked myself in the mirror. I look amazing in black and red along with the make-up. I smiled, “are my two favorite men ready?!” I shout as I look myself over a bit to make sure nothing is out of place.

“I can’t find daddy!” My son shouts.

“Alright. I will help you look for him!” I respond back as I make my way out the bedroom, happily satisfied with my appearance.

Soon as I turn the corner, “roar!” I scream at the top of my lungs, turn and smack into the hallway wall face first. My make-up is now plastered to the wall while the rest is smeared on my face. I stood up and glared at the pair of laughing gremlins that are my son and husband. “I will get you for this and avenge my make-up!” Only my husband as our son is too young to have the life scared of out him but my husband is fair game. After all, he was the wearing the werewolf mask and I believe I tooted when he scared me which is probably why he is rolling on the floor right now.

“Mommy farted!” That remark made my husband bust a gut when he was trying to stand up only to fall back down. I just stood there and not amused or tried not to look it. Oh yeah, I will get him back for that. I walked away to redo my make-up while plans formed in my head.

After I finally finished with my make-up, we were ready. I am a Vampire Queen, our son is the Grim Reaper with a cardboard scythe and my husband is a werewolf in a suit. We are a rather mix and match monster family.

Locking the front door, we went trick-or-treating and the weather is just perfect for it so we plan to take complete advantage of this. Walking and knocking on doors as we went along made for happy smiles on our son’s face. He is rushing from door to door, even a ‘skeleton’ dropped some extra for our son when he took note of him being the Grim Reaper. It was adorable, the two had a conversation for a moment then our little reaper took off to the next door.

My husband and I just talked while taking note of the various costumes though my eyes are on our boy to keep him within view. So many kids and parents are out and about. Laughter filled the air, even the trick-or-treat rhyme is heard nearby. We laughed soon as we heard it.

Already an hour in, knocking and walking. Our little reaper’s bag is almost full and he is enjoying himself. How can a child have so much energy at this late an hour still? I do not understand but he certainly has it. Is he sneaking some candies? I thought suspiciously.

As we got closer to another house I noticed that it is decorated as a haunted house. I grinned, “okay my duckies! Who wants to go in haunted house?”

My son looked toward the house I pointed out and hid behind me, gripping my dress. “Is it really haunted, momma?” He looked hesitant and frightened. I placed my hand on his head then we moved off to the side to talk to him.

My husband is the one to explain to him that it is not actually haunted but just decorated to look scary but fun to scare the people that go in. At the end of it there is usually candy. An older child came over to show him the chocolate bar in his hand. Our son’s eyes widened at the prospect of a giant candy bar.

“I want to go in!”

“Are you sure?” I ask him then I watch him retreat a little.

“Will...will you and daddy go with me?”

“You want that candy bar, don’t you?” Our son nodded as he watched children come out from the back with big candy bars.

My husband looked at me then at our boy, “alright. Just stay between us and hold our hands so you don’t get lost.” He smiled as our little reaper handed me his candy bag and took both our hands. “Onward for the candy! We have to save it from the scary monsters!” He shouts and we just chuckled as he tugged us toward the haunted house. It can not be that scary, right?

Wrong! Absolutely wrong! My husband and I come out looking like white sheets! Our son is laughing! Laughing at us! He is laughing so hard that we could not help but laugh with him. At least he got his candy bar and so did we.

“Okay, okay! Let us get going and get some more trick-or-treating in before they run out of candy.”

We continued our candy journey, watching as kids are starting to get tired from all the running around and possibly getting their pants scared off. Some already had smeared costume make-up from sweating despite the cool breeze. I gave a big yawn and stretched, my lower back and feet are killing me!

Pretty soon porch lights are turning off, indicating that they are out of candy or no longer giving anymore away. “Dad, can you carry me? My feet are tired...”

“Sure kiddo.” He knelt down, picked him up and just like that he fell asleep while he held on to that second bag full of candy and I carried the other. “Let’s head home, honey.” He agreed.

Soon we come home, front door open and shutting behind my husband. “I’ll take him to bed,” he says. He turns around, I kiss our son’s forehead and we make our way up. I go to our room while I wait for him to come to bed.

After some time, my husband and I are in bed, ready for some sleep.

“Good night, honey.” He kisses my forehead.

“Good night, mi amor.” I lay down, we reach our lamps and turn them off.

I hear my husband getting comfortable only to stop when we hear the bedroom door click closed. “What was that?” I can feel him moving to turn his lamp on.

“What was what?” I ask as I sat up.

The lights turn on and my husband screams then falls right out of bed thud! and taking the blankets with him. Our son and I are wearing zombie masks.

“Happy Halloween!”

Fin

October 30, 2020 22:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.