That one Holiday I Hate.

Written in response to: Write about a character who finds Valentine’s Day sickly sweet.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny

(This is just my opinion, and the way I feel genuinely about this holiday. Not an actual story, sorry! For those of you who like these stories better than my usual ones, your welcome!)

Valentine's day is the one day a year to express your love for the people in your life. But in my opinion, It's a disgraceful holiday where people feel forced to express their love for each other and have to have all the gifts, cards, flowers, dates. Disgusting. People actually buy all those mushy gushy cards in the Dollar Store and give them to people. The best ones probably would come from the car wash.

Don't believe me? Go read them. And not only that but the giant teddy bears. Have you seen how big they are? Bigger than the ones at the carnival in shows or in Hallmark movies. The Titanic movie is better than this holiday. Christmas Hallmark movies, yeah, I went there. A Valentine? What a joke. You don't even remember. I'd make mine my best friend, and we'd make it a complete and utter joke. You may be wondering who taught me it was this bad, and you might have answered my parents.

My parents go to the grocery store for an hour and read the mushiest Valentine's day cards they can find. Legit, that's what they like to do. I don't blame them. When I'm married for 20 years, that's what I would do too. My friends and other kids at school just ask people if they want to be their Valentine's. We don't even remember the day. The school does nothing. Not even flower sales. Last year they did candy sales.

That was it. Your parents would buy them in advance and your first-period teacher would hand them out before or during class. Not only that but if you are in a relationship you aren't even doing anything. Valentine's day is a lame excuse for expressing your love. You should express your love or liking to someone every day. Not just one day where you make it a point.

Not to mention there are the dates. People will ask each other out to go on dates, say yes, and then it's all over the school/grade news. My grandmother sent me a card. It was a very nice card indeed, but I cannot help but think that if it wasn't for the fact that it was invented, it would never have to be this way. Not only that, but I got a hat with hearts on it from my aunt and uncle that lights up. I realized that all that holiday junk they sell at the dollar store. I realized that people buy decorations for this sickly-sweet holiday. With a box of chocolates and a too-big teddy bear.

The gifts. We went holiday shopping for my brother's teachers yesterday. There were holiday scents! They were all pink and red and white. They have holiday sales! It's like no one remembers that President's day is next weekend. My dad's a lawyer, and his opponent chose today, after having to move it once before. He had to move it again over this dumb holiday. His wife probably asked him what they were doing. Now the doctor is charging my dad's company. Such a nuisance.

What else you may be asking? It's super bowl Sunday. Everyone is talking about tomorrow, not tonight. I would have forgotten, but somehow I had gotten to remember. This dumb holiday is taking up everyone's memory and storage space. I have found nothing about the Super Bowl and chips in stores, but have seen every chocolate out there on every shelf. I've seen all of the extra shelves with hearts on there. The decore at places like Home Sense. People waste their money on things like those decorations.

This holiday is Christian, but we have people of all kinds of religions celebrate this holiday. Why? Because it's such a big deal and it's been around for so long, no one remembers the origin. Everyone can remember the religion for Christmas, Hannuka, St. Patrik's day, but not Valentine's? What's up with that! This lame holiday isn't even being celebrated as much as the Superbowl! It's a celebration of fertility! Yet children celebrate it!

Look, not like I'm saying only Christians can celebrate it, I'm just saying that people should remember the origin. We are celebrating a festival of fertility and a holiday where a saint died. How is that a good thing? Because "cupid" can shoot a "love arrow" on you and another person making you fall in love. Who seriously changed the original to what it is now? The Christians.

This is the holiday we remember for February. The colors, hearts, candy. But President's day is in this year as well. Why can we not celebrate that all month? We can do much better when it comes to this holiday. Much too sickly sweet. Too much, way too much mushy-gushy non-sense. I mean, who really wants a Valentine? Who takes the time out of their day to make one for each of their friends and co-workers and boss? Who even has time for that? No one, that's who.

Honestly, I would like to know who seriously decided this holiday was necessary. We could have had a much different holiday, like one where we celebrate people on the frontlines. Where we could send our love, care, and support to people who need it. Like nurses, doctors, mail people, etc. There are so many people out there who could use this support, and instead, we celebrate love by giving people huge boxes of chocolates and gifts.

I'm not saying it's completely worthless. I'm just saying it's mostly worthless. Love and loving others is very important. But if you aren't willing to show someone your care and support through the year and not just one huge time a year, that's the way it should be. Not some sickening holiday where you make the day special. That's not the way it should be. If you can think of someone in your life that does that, maybe you can agree with me by thinking that. Thus, Valentines day is much too sweet and should probably not be a holiday.

February 14, 2022 16:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.