1 comment

Contemporary Romance Drama

“I just can’t anymore. It’s over.”

Drake lingered on the phone a moment longer, hoping Danielle would change her mind, but knowing she wouldn’t. They’d been heading in this direction for a long time. She’d been talking about leaving him for years, he just refused to take it seriously. 

He didn’t want to be alone again. He couldn’t fight his demons by himself.

“Goodbye,” she said when he didn’t say more.

He was so tired of trying. She was right. It was over.

He pulled his phone away from his head to find she’d already hung up. Just as well.

Drake stared at the dark sky, any beauty obscured by the lights and buildings of this small town. 

He barely looked up and down the quiet street before yeeting his phone as far as he could. It bounced on the sidewalk a few times before resting in the shadows, its face still glowing.

Drake scowled and stalked toward his motorcycle. He wasn’t going to need anything where he was going.

“Hey, you dropped your phone,” came a voice from behind him.

Drake stiffened. He should’ve looked around before throwing that thing. “Yeah,” he said at last.

“Nice bike,” she continued.

Drake grunted, still refusing to turn to face his unwanted observer. “You can have it.”

“Right now?” She was closer, her voice quiet but hopeful.

Drake straddled his motorcycle and righted it, kicking up the stand. “One last ride.”

The bike dipped a little in the back as Drake fired it up, pulling the throttle for a satisfying roar. “What are you doing?” he yelled over his shoulder, grateful he hadn’t dropped the bike when she got on. This girl was nuts.

“I want to see how it handles,” she replied.

“Hold on or get off,” Drake growled. What was this chick’s deal? He didn’t even want to know. He was done. 

“I got this.”

“Fine.” Drake pulled the throttle again and switched it into gear. The bike jerked forward, and her hands grabbed at his middle, but she stayed on. As he reached a good cruising speed, she let go again and leaned back a little. He had to admit, he was impressed. She wasn’t wiggling around, throwing off the balance, either. 

Danielle, his now-ex, never liked his motorcycle. She said it was too dangerous. And yeah, it was, but he knew how to be careful. She never did trust him, though.

“What’s your name?” the girl on the back asked, the wind nearly whipping her words away. Bits of her hair slapped at his face when she leaned forward, reminding him of rain.

“What’s it matter at this point?” he yelled back.

“I’d like to have a name when I tell people about my kidnapper.”

“I didn’t kidnap you.”

She laughed. “No. You didn’t. Still.”

Drake stared at the road.

“I’m Angela, by the way.”

“Drake.”

They rode in silence after that, the wind rushing by. The night air always brought a chill, no matter how warm the summer. Eventually Angela’s arms slipped around his middle again, her shivers abating as their bodies exchanged warmth.

Drake sighed. There was something calming about this strange girl who had hopped on his bike. She chipped at his resolve.

“I’m taking you back,” he said.

“You do that, and your last ride is over.”

Drake opened his mouth. Damn. She had him. He’d promised her the bike.

He glanced at the gas gauge, but he’d filled up earlier today. Angela’s shivers were getting worse, though. He needed to stop somewhere so she could warm up.

They were out of town now, the crescent moon gently lighting the pines that lined the road. He slowed a little to try to take the edge off, but breathed a sigh of relief when some area lights came into view.

Drake pulled into the small motel parking lot and turned the bike off.

“What are you doing?” Angela asked.

Drake nodded to indicate she should get off. “You’re cold.”

“Am not,” Angela retorted, but she still hadn’t let go of him. At least her shivers were calming a little.

“It’s a cold night. You need to go inside for a bit.”

“How do I know you won’t just take off without me?”

Drake shook his head, then pumped down the kickstand and stood. “Because I’m going in with you.”

Her arms slid slowly from around his waist, and Drake had a momentary sense of loss. He shook his head. He didn’t know this chick from Adam. Why should he care? 

Why should she?

Drake waited until Angela was clear of the bike before getting off. He turned to face his passenger for the first time, and stopped dead in his tracks. Damn. She was gorgeous. Her long, brown hair looked like it had been through a hurricane, and her cheeks were tinged pink from the cold. She looked wild and fierce, and he needed to stop staring before he started looking like an idiot.

“Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to hitch rides with strangers?”

Angela smirked. “Sure she did. She also told me to trust my gut.”

Drake lifted a brow, then shook his head. “Come on. Let’s see if these people have something warm to drink and maybe a coat we could borrow.”

Angela ducked her head and followed him inside, her arms wrapped around herself. What was he thinking, letting her ride like that? He should’ve checked to make sure she had something warm on. Or made her get off. As it stood, her spring jacket would do for the still air, but it was nothing against the force of a ride.

Not like she asked to get on or anything, Drake reminded himself.

The lobby was warm, but the smell of coffee was enough to convince Drake it would be alright. Angela looked a little less sure, something he found immensely amusing.

Someone stood up from behind the counter. “Do you two need a room?” the woman asked.

Drake shook his head, hitching a thumb at Angela. “I was mostly just hoping to find something to warm her up.”

“I’m fine,” Angela said, though her voice wobbled. 

Damn, he felt like such an idiot.

“Oh, you poor dear,” the woman said, coming around the counter. She ushered Angela toward the coffee pot.

Angela looked over her shoulder at Drake, who shrugged. He plopped in a nearby seat and watched the two women.

“Here, this will warm you right up,” the woman said, pouring Angela a cup.

“I don’t usually drink coffee this late at night,” Angela said, taking the cup and pulling it close to her chest.

“Don’t worry, it’s decaf.” The woman patted Angela’s arm, then guided her to the chair opposite Drake.

Drake smirked. “You wouldn’t happen to have a good coat she could borrow, would you?” he asked the woman, keeping his eyes on Angela. Damn, she was fine. He still couldn’t believe she’d hopped on his bike. “I’ll pay you, of course,” he added, finally dragging his gaze away long enough to look at the motel clerk.

The woman’s smile had a softness to the edges. “Of course. No need to pay. Just bring it back, if you can.” She shuffled away, leaving Drake and Angela alone.

Drake rubbed his knuckles on his pants, looking around. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it appeared to be clean. “So, Angela . . .”

“Drake.”

Drake grunted. Damn, when she said it like that . . . 

“Look,” he said at last. “Maybe you should stay here. I--”

“Here’s a good one,” the woman called, popping out from behind the counter. “Sorry that took me so long. I was gonna give you a different one, but then I remembered we had this one in the back. It was abandoned long ago. You can keep it.”

The leather jacket had a thick, fluffy lining that looked to be perfect for the road. Whoever left that behind must have been a rider. 

Angela slipped the coat on and zipped it up. It was a little big, and she lifted her arms, the long ends flopping over. She lifted her brows at Drake, who was chuckling softly.

“Hey, if it’ll keep you warm . . .” he said, pulling his lips in. He sobered as he made his offer again. “I mean, unless you want to stay--”

Angela shook her head. “I told you I’m coming along, and that’s what I intend to do.”

Drake nodded once, the tightness in his chest easing. “How’s your coffee?”

Angela tipped the cup back and finished it in a few gulps. “Done,” she said. She looked to the woman. “Uh, where do you want--?”

“I’ll take it,” the woman said, giving Angela a wink.

Angela’s whole face turned as pink as her cheeks, and she ducked her head.

“Thanks for your hospitality,” Drake said, pulling out his wallet and placing a twenty in the woman’s hand.

“Oh, I don’t need that,” the woman said, but Drake insisted.

“Fine,” she relented. “But if you really want to pay me back, maybe let me know how the ride goes, sometime.”

Drake let out a bitter bark of a laugh as they went outside. Maybe Angela would have something to tell, but he wasn’t planning on it.

Drake got on his bike and righted it, kicking back the stand.

“Oh, wait a minute,” Angela said. She pulled her hair back into a quick braid, tucking the end under the jacket. “I look like a kid in this thing,” she grumbled.

“You look fine to me,” Drake said, then set his gaze on the distance. He shouldn’t have said that. If he could duck and run, he would.

Angela didn’t comment as she mounted the bike behind him, slipping her arms around his waist once more.

“If you . . . well, just try to position yourself behind my back. I’ll do my best to protect you from the worst of the wind.”

Angela nodded, the movement pressed into his back. A ghost of a smile wafted over his lips, then faded back away. When this ride was over, she’d be gone, along with his bike.

Drake fired up the bike, perhaps a little more enthusiastically than necessary, because Angela yelped. He didn’t give her a chance to change her mind, though, kicking it into gear and taking off.

He knew where he was headed. There was an overlook about thirty minutes from town. He’d taken Danielle there once, but the height freaked her out. He’d been back a few times by himself. It seemed a fitting place to lose it all.

They reached the base of the small mountain, and Drake slowed, taking his time through the switchbacks. Angela squeezed his middle a little tighter when he took the turns, but she leaned into it with him, not trying to correct. Drake smiled again. She almost made him wish . . .

Drake swallowed the lump in his throat. No. He’d thought Danielle could save him, but look where that got him? His demons were too much for anyone.

“I’ve never been here before,” Angela said as he pulled off the road and parked in the dirt. 

He kicked up the stand, moving the bike forward so it rested on a stray piece of rock. He didn’t want that thing tipping over. Angela would never get it off the ground if it did.

“It’s so pretty up here,” Angela said, looking around. Her arms were hugged tight around herself, but the open look of awe on her face made everything about her seem soft. He had to get Angela to leave. He couldn’t do what he’d intended with her watching.

“I can show you how to ride, if you want,” Drake said slowly, kicking at a rock.

Angela grinned. “I’d like that.”

Drake opened his mouth then closed it again. “Okay. Well, come here and--”

“Oh, not right now.”

“No?” Drake turned back to Angela.

She was still staring at the sky, but trouble clouded her brows. He wanted to wipe that look away, to make her feel better.

“Why’d you get on my bike tonight?” Drake asked at last.

“Why did you throw your phone?”

Drake sighed. “It’s . . . complicated.”

“Same.”

Drake lifted  brow. There was something in her resolute stare that made him feel . . . exposed. Did she see his demons? “I need it to end.”

“A friend would be easier.”

Drake looked away so she wouldn’t see his eyes gloss up. She was not gonna make him cry. “I can’t be saved.”

“Who said I wasn’t trying to save myself?”

She was so close now, her hand on his arm--well, under that floppy sleeve end, anyway.

Drake chuckled. “What do you know about inner demons?”

She stared up at him, and he could finally see it, that look in her eyes that said she was just as lost as him.

They stared at each other for a few long minutes. Drake’s heart raced.

Maybe, just maybe, he’d met his match. “I want to save you,” Drake whispered.

Angela took an unsteady breath. “Let’s save each other.”

April 09, 2021 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kate Winchester
04:01 Apr 26, 2021

You take the reader on a fun ride. Great job! I loved the end. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.