Delectable Offer

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write a story where a meal or dinner goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Takes place directly after the events of Shattered Realm

Waking up from the sudden stopping of the cart, I already knew what the reason was for. With the front flap opening and the sight of the cart’s driver sticking his head through the opening, I forced myself up to look at him.

“We have arrived, get your things and pay me before you go. I know the Captain of the guard, so don’t try to run off.” 

It was rather strange to hear a cart driver threatening you if you didn’t pay, but a foreign city is much different than one’s own home. Sitting up more, Noric stirred and opened his eyes. Looking up at me. He moved over and yawned, stretching with the satisfying crack of his arms and legs. Noric looked over and smiled at me again, “Well. We made it! I cannot wait to see the Halls of Magic and Rituals, I’m going to become a full wizard!” With that Noric quickly threw himself out the back of the cart. I rolled my eyes and made my way out too, stepping out of the covered darkness and into the bright sun. Only now do I realize that the sounds of the city were overwhelming, with the neighs of horses and the shouting of criers and merchants. News of bandits and the price of a certain rug, it felt so similar to home yet so foreign as well. I turned to look at Noric, who’s eyes were glowing with anticipation. He looked at me and I knew what he was going to say.

“You should come with me! We can see the city together before I go to the halls!” But the change of face as he looked at me said it all, something he was sad to hear. “I’m sorry Noric. But this is where we part ways. I came here for a new life. I… I need to find that life on my own.”

The look of sadness overwhelmed the poor hedge wizard, although I was a complete stranger a sort of attachment formed between them. Wanderers looking for a new life, that must part ways when their paths are laid out before them. I gave a smile and patted the hedge wizard on the head, giving a sort of reassuring smile. It felt so fake, but it was the only sort of mercy that gave them hope. “But don’t think we won’t see each other again. You need to show me all the magic you can do when you’re done training.”

After a sniffle, Noric wipes his face with his moss cloak. Giving a smile and a determined nod, “You will! Just you wait! I’ll become a Wizard and I’ll show you magic is the best!” With that, they ran off towards the city. I couldn’t help but shake my head and smile at the energy the short soon to be wizard had. But something quickly shot through my mind as I turned with the face of an angry cart driver in front of mine.

“Did you tell him to run off! He was supposed to pay me good for having brought him from the middle of nowhere! I bet you planned on running off too but got too sentimental for your own good!” The cart driver seemed to be causing a scene, with several people starting to gather from merchants, to peasants, and even a few strange looking robed people that I could only assume to be priests. I sighed and simply pulled out my purse and dropped double the amount I was meant to pay for my trip.

“There. Keep whatever was due, just calm down and leave me be.” With a disgusted look on his face, the cart driver scoffed and hopped back on his wagon. With a hyaah! He ushered the horses on, leaving me behind with nothing but dust and onlookers who stayed after the confrontation I had with the driver. Looking into my bag, I sighed as I saw how little money I actually had left. I needed to find work more quickly than I desired. Turning to the city, I sighed as I picked up my bag and started walking deeper into it. In my hopes of starting my new life.

Sadly, life did not want to go my way. I stopped by a local store in the hopes that perhaps they needed a guard, sadly I happened on the safer side of town and the pay was too low for my standards of living, which as a knight was starting to look more of a detriment than a boon. After that, I journeyed to the slums in the vain hope that someone was looking for a knight like myself to keep their home safe. Sadly, after the confrontation with the cart driver many did not wish to have me due to thinking I would try to swindle them too. Afterwards, I travelled to the military district in the hopes that they could take me on as a soldier or even a watchman but they stated the pay had been cut and they were laying people off rather than hiring. Which after days of searching, has left me homeless and almost without any money for food or water.

“What am I to do?” I spoke aloud, which was returned with an amused chuckle and me springing to my feet, lowering myself into a combat stance as I scanned my surroundings. Slowly, a figure emerged from the shadows and stood there with a sort of pompous pose. It was one of the hooded figures I remember seeing when I first arrived in the city, the priest or so I thought.

“What’s wrong? I’m just a good Samaritan that wishes to help you. After the fiasco a few days ago and watching you wander about like a ghost, I felt bad and thought perhaps I can lend you a hand!” 

The figure extended his hand once he spoke his final words, it felt shady and probably not worth it. Even if it was a priest, I doubt it was going to be of any long term benefit. But with my status and dwindling ability to provide for myself, I relaxed my body which brought a smile to my new companion’s face. Who clasped his hands together and turned around. “I’m glad you can understand my wish to help, please follow me and I shall provide for you.”

With nothing else to lose, I grabbed what was left of my things and walked off with the hooded individual. We went down streets and cut through alleyways, slowly leaving the market district and heading down back to the slums. Which for a priest would make sense, since this is where the most unfortunate would live and need help from those providing it. But when we suddenly stop in front of a rundown building with a sign that says “The Blue Raven”. I turned my head to look at the hooded individual, who only turned to look at me back and gave a smug smile. Stepping forward, they opened the door and I followed. In front of me, in the middle of the room was a table with food nicely laid out upon it.

“Are you sure that this is for me?” The hooded individual laughed, “Of course not just for you! It’s for all of us, the others will join us soon. Please, take a seat and we can enjoy a small discussion we need to have.”

I couldn’t resist and I walked over to the table, I once again turned to look at the hooded individual. Only now do I realize that their robes were blue when I took more time to see the features. They wave and nod, as if reassuring that I was meant for this. Slowly, I sat down and looked out at the dinner that was laid out before me. I slowly started taking food, not wanting to overindulge myself and be respectful to my host. But I slowly let myself enjoy the food that made me feel alive once more. That perhaps this could be a chance for my new life. With the sound of the door, I gave it little notice believing it was simply more people in need such as myself. But when a short green skinned goblin sat beside me, also wearing a blue cloak and hood, they gave a big smile revealing their sharp teeth and quickly shoving food onto their plate.

“Wait...What?” I began to question what was happening when another person joined them on the table. A large hairy man sat across from me, their hood was blue like the others and they began to tear into the meat. Slowly, more and more individuals in blue hoods started rolling in, an elf with a lute started playing in the corner, a dark skinned elf flipping knives, and of course the original individual who took the head of the table right beside me. Who took an empty glass and started clanging one of the pieces of silverware against it.

“Everyone. I would like to introduce the newest member of the Blue Ravens, someone who was left in the gutter just as we have and someone who needs to be given a hand.” Slowly, they lower their hood on their robe, revealing a beautiful woman with hair green like emerald and skin with a honeyed tan, who leaned closely to me. “What’s your name?” I was simply perplexed by the entire situation, with all my years as a knight I have never seen anything like this, “V-Ves. Ves Jovule'' And they quickly turned back to the crowd, “To Ves Jovule! The newest strongarm to join our guild and our family!” With a smile, the crowd of blue hoods got closer. The food no longer sat well in my stomach. “Welcome to the Blue Ravens, where we take care of our kin.” Getting closer, they whispered these next words into my ear, “Hope you’re prepared Ves. Because there is no going back.”

June 25, 2021 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.