1 comment

Adventure Black Fiction

He pulled with all his strength and achieved almost no result. He went on all four to see what is exerting this strength. The coarseness told him that whatever it's isn't a new occupant of the under bench.

He was right. The color and quantity pointed that fact out well. The person or whoever they might be seems to be on the religious duty of packing half-chewed guns under the same chair each week for reasons known to them. In this kind of discovery, you don’t open your mouth wide for it is a sign of not doing the work previously well. The gums or what looks like them in my estimation will amount to about one packet already under one seat and some have changed from light pink to dark blue color to tell you that they had been resting there not less than three weeks now. Jerry shake his head in amazement and went for his scrappers. 

“whoever they are and whatever their mission had been, I need to scuttle it or at least dent their progress well for them to last another three weeks”

 he said to himself as he went to work scrapping the whole gum from under the bench if truly it is even what he is calling it. Inventions of mad kinds exist in this 21st century. 

He is among the group of seven hired by the cleaning firm that cleans up stadia after major events and this firm: Tiger C Inc. is in the habit of hiring cleaners from schools around whenever they have a gig of cleaning any venue which they always do. None in each of the five groups comprising seven is a permanent staff for the company that seems to be struggling and based their survival on hiring workers to foresee any assignment each week. He had been at their services each week now for eight weeks some of which had been for four or less though he was a full-time staff.

 Seven in each group with a supervisor breathing down their neck nonstop. He went closer to a fresh intake about his age and murmured his suspicion to him to avoid their supervisor that buried himself in whatever magazine he is lost in saying. 

“Do you think it has anything to do with terrorist groups?” he asked him as both continued scrapping and sweeping the litters of plastic cups and other waste into the big plastic bag each haul along with scoopers and broom. “You fear that they might be gumming strong explodeable objects under It while others are lost in events in the field?”

“Sure. Why should anyone without interior motives spend money and time buying a ticket for the same seat and sweating to line up these gums under the same seat each week if something else isn't involved”

“ I understand your concern and logic but we can't be sure of any evil plot for they had never been one in the past and you know the regulation here”

The regulation the guy is referring to is the minor contract some don’t even bother to read in full before pasting their signature on it. Some sections required you to report to your group supervisor or anything suspicious you came across in the course of your cleaning. Since the record is being kept by the group supervisor of each worker and the area he or she cleaned, cleaners never report incidents like the one Jerry came across for fear of a refund by colleague they know not. 

Their work is done systematically from the stand to the tracks, from there to the pitch, and then toilets before heading outside to the parking area. They were still in the stand area where he found those abnormalities. 

He cast a look across the other side of the stand and saw other hired-hands doing exactly what they are doing. Everyone is concentrating trying to get the work done and fade to enjoy their weekend. He had seen the face of the guy he told about the finding earlier but he was not regular like him. As they made their way to the track area, he neared the guy again and eyed the name on the tag he was sporting and it said Johnny, he smirked to himself wondering if it is his named or working name. “I suspect it must be John, not Johnny for no one, or rather not five percent had that name in their baptism card” 

He was focusing on this arena like many other cleaners for this is where cleaners usually meet their weekend Mr. and Mrs. Luck. Coins, finger rings, chains, necklaces, dirty handkerchiefs, soiled pants, etc. The law is that you must return whatever you found to the management for safe return to their owners. Hired hands always return those handkerchiefs and soiled pants for their safe return to the rightful owners but never coins and chains.

 Jerry has never had such luck, but almost every week, since he started, someone had never picked up valuable and returned them. This area always takes each group double the amount of time to go through for cleaners just like Jerry are all poor students trying to supplement their pocket money. He recalled he saw something shimmering thrown to the visiting team from the home team stand when they were watching the second half of the game from restaurants across the road the company always camp them waiting to start work immediately once the last fan has left the pitch. He stood, trying to recall from which sides of the pitch that object was thrown from. Watching from TV at times confuses but he was sure it came from their side. How come no one has discovered anything. He stood and eyed all the cleaners with him. Outside Johnny, all are fresh faces. how have some mastered the act of shutting one’s mouth from such luck? Outside that the pitch area holds the same lucky opportunity to the cleaner as tracks, he is confused about why picking grass players marched on is vital to the firm. But once again, the history he has gathered in the few weeks he had been on this Job shows that some players wear all manners of chains on their body seen and unseen during matches, and most always end up on grass there. 

 The stink that assaulted them miles away announced to the new intakes that they were about to land on the Island of toilets and buckling up is needed but many heeded otherwise.

Dragging of feet, lingering and falling backs, many pretending to be adjusting this or that as If the mess ever cleared itself in history.

 Too many toilets in that stadium. If you are watching from TV, you will never know that almost 60 percent of those you see sitting down visited that room before leaving the stadium. That area of the stadium always shows him that his people have ways to go as far as hygiene and common sense are concerned. Why do they always block every hole they came in contact with in that room? Can't they just pee, flush and get the craze out of there back to their seats? But not these humans. Each week since he started the gig, the story on this part and the parking lot had remained the same. Condoms, packa,ges and pads flung, strewn everywhere like discharged cartridges. 

“Can't just stand the logic behind these condoms and pads. Do they come in here to fuck or what while games are going on?”

“That is what it looks like judging from what I am seeing here. This is my first time, I heard you have been around for a few weeks now. These place the same like this each week?”

“ The same each week and I have never stopped being mesmerized by its sheer madness each week. What is it with them?”

The girl her the tag said Jenny eyed him and smiled while still scrapping on the sink. When Jerry eyed her tag and saw the name on it, he laughed out to the surprise of the girl who turned to eye him askance. “ What happened?” she asked

“ I was wondering if it was a kind orgy or different contest going on here while players sweat it out on the pitch. I mean, imagine the amount of these condoms. I can't they wait after the games”

“At times, It’s just spur-of-the-moment action at work down here and everybody goes their different ways in under three minutes”

At the parking lot, the story of pads and condoms remains the same. Flipped here and there anyhow some landed on the flowers and most on the ground their content still in full. Jenny who is now spotting double face masks when the task doesn’t need them that much anymore due to open fresh air and space had to resign to her fate. She picked the full and half-full condoms off the flowers and grounds now attacking them with renewed vigor praying that it all comes to an end for her to return home and have a hell of a shower with a full assortment. 

“Is the dressing room under our care too?” One tall girl her tag said June asked

 Jerry smiled to himself once again and wondered where the company picked out these weeks’ creatures with these names ending in Ys. He will not be surprised if this June girl’s real name is Junny or something like that. He is not sure fifty percent of them will be around next week judging from the looks on their faces.

Jerry left his questions until they all got to the firm's changing room.

Do anyone saw from their end what I saw from mine?

June 03, 2023 10:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Michał Przywara
20:58 Jun 07, 2023

It's true, not everyone can handle every job. That amount of garbage - and that nature of garbage - could make many people second guess. Though, there's a lot of funny here. It's the kind of funny that comes from looking at human nature (well, also the terrorist gum :) Why do people leave so much trash? That's a great question. "but never coins and chains" - but of course :) "about to land on the Island of toilets" :) An amusing look at the day job of people most of us pretend are invisible. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.