16 comments

Contemporary Crime Fiction

The trail of devastation is clear, the evidence becoming more and more compelling the further into the crime scene I step. I move with careful stealth, to ensure that nothing is disturbed, careful not to move a single piece of evidence. I am not going to blow this by rushing through the scene.

At the epicentre I stand and turn, a slow lighthouse, to study the scene with a practiced, veteran eye. This is not my first rodeo. There are traces everywhere: a crumb, a discarded wrapper, a knife that lay where it dropped, a broken plate. I fit the clues together. There had been a struggle, some resistance, then an escape. The questions came quick to mind, a puzzle to be solved. Who was involved? How many perpetrators? And, most urgently, where was the victim?

With slow, methodical precision, I walk about the room, eyes searching for further clues. It is suspiciously silent, and I slowly pad on stockinged feet, so any culprits, who may still linger, will not be alerted to my presence. Cautiously, I sidle from this room to the next, slipping through the partially opened door without moving it. I am aware that any creaking will instantly alert anyone within the house. My God, it would be such a coup to catch the culprit red-handed! I’m so close, and my gut feeling tells me the perp is still here. As I said, I am not a rookie. I know this pattern, had seen it play out time and time again.

I am tracking my nemesis. All the hallmarks are there. So typical of his M.O. The struggle, the knife, the little crumbs that no one else would notice, but my practiced eye took it all in. I know I am close to cracking this case wide open. He’d gotten away with similar crimes too often. The benefit of the doubt had worked in his favour, and of course the appearance of innocence always swayed the judge and jury. This time, he had become too brazen, crossed the line, and I would not let him wriggle his way out, not this time. This time, the charges would stick. There will be no escape, no excuse. I am personally going to see this case through to the bitter end.

I pad cautiously down the hallway, pausing to listen at each door, my heartbeat loud, so loud, that I fear I might scare off any intruder with the force of its pounding. The anticipation is stealing my breath and my heart is thumping, pumping adrenaline steadily through my veins, until I am almost dizzy with it. I can almost taste it! I will solve this case, and I shall be vindicated!

At the last door I pause, barely a breath passes my lips. From behind the wooden barrier, I can hear a sound that chills me. The soft, wet squelching straight out of a horror movie, and my blood runs cold. The perp is in this room, behind this very door, and I am about to catch them in the act! No judge or jury will be able to acquit them this time!

I take a deep breath to calm myself. The excitement is going to ruin my moment if I don’t get it under control. I remind myself that I’m a professional, that I can do this without emotion, without ruining my case. The poor victim deserves no less than my best effort in this investigation. I can’t ruin it by rushing in blindly.

Slowly, I reach out and turn the handle. It is well maintained and makes hardly a sound. I ease the door open and peer through the crack. Nothing. The first visual inspection reveals nothing out of the ordinary. I can hear more clearly though with the door open, and the moist sounds turn my stomach. I know what I will find. Slaughter of the most horrific kind. I shudder. The victim had no chance.

Easing myself carefully into the room, my eyes dart everywhere at once, taking the scene in with a professional eye. It’s a child’s room, toys scattered in disarray, bed unmade and clothing lay where it had been discarded. Where was the child? I dread to look, knowing what I would find. The carnage would be unbearable, based on the continuing moist sounds of violence. I steady my breathing, brace myself to witness the horror I know I will see, a sight so gruesome that my soul is shrinking from it in anticipation.

I slip around the other side of the bed and even though I have been focusing on controlling my reactions, an unconscious gasp of horror escapes my mouth. The sticky smears cover every surface, wiped with sociopathic disregard for life. The carnage is worse than I feared.

The victim is hardly recognisable, so totally mangled and dismembered. Although I am a professional, although I have seen the sort of horrors that would cause most people to recoil, my stomach turns. I’m not normally so squeamish, but this is the worst crime scene I have experienced. Probably because the perpetrators sat with wide-eyed innocence in the centre of the gruesome mess!

“Sorry Mummy!” The eldest gasps, his face white with shock at being caught. He knows that this time, there will be no chance of talking his way out of it, of convincing me that it was his brother, or the dog, or a random stranger who happened to walk into our house.

“That was for Daddy, for his birthday!” I tell him. I’m calm on the surface, but perhaps calm comes out a little louder, a little more forced and a lot more cross than intended. “I spent hours making and decorating that cake. And you have ruined it. Look at this mess.”

“Sorry, Mumma!” the youngest wails, his face is smeared with chocolate as the tears of fright and contrition trail a sticky path through the ganache.

Their eyes, like twin pools of watery remorse, spear me. How can I be mad? Well, I can be mad. Not only do I not have a cake, but I have a huge mess to clean. However, their expressions are so contrite, and it’s the only thing that can melt this mother’s heart.

“You are both going to have to help me clean this up, and then we’ve got to go to the bakery and buy Daddy a cake before he gets home.”

“We’re so sorry Mummy, the cake looked so yummy, you made it look so good and we just couldn’t wait.” The oldest explains, ever the smooth criminal, justifying his actions with sweet words.

“We sorry,” the younger echoes.

“Oh, you will be!” I tell them ominously as I hand them a bin and a cloth. Forgiveness will be earned.

June 18, 2023 12:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

16:50 Jul 19, 2023

That was so good! I love the 'Crime' label on this! 😁

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:39 Jul 19, 2023

I know, a bit tongue in cheek, trying for a miss direction. I was hoping to emulate that noir crime fiction genre.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
14:31 Jul 15, 2023

Hi Michelle, Oh, the story was utterly delightful. I thought you did an amazing job of capturing the frustration that this protagonist felt. Sometimes I think that we are incapable of fully understanding what our parents did for us until we are adults ourselves, and I know that it can be challenging for parents to balance adult celebrations when they have little ones at home. If you’re lucky enough to have a village around you, you can plan special “just adults” date nights, but you also may just want balance celebrating with the kids. I im...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:46 Jul 15, 2023

Thanks for reading it, and I’m glad it resonated with you. Hmm never bought of a sequel for this one… you never know where the reedsy prompts will take me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keira Person
15:19 Jun 23, 2023

This one is SO good Michelle. This has to be one of my favorites from you!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:24 Jun 24, 2023

Thanks for your vote of confidence Keira. I wasn’t too sure on this one at all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:39 Jun 21, 2023

Great setup :) Felt like a hard-boiled police investigation initially, but then partway through I found myself inexplicably grinning :) There were subtle clues for the reader too, but tempered with some nice violent imagery to keep us guessing just who the culprit might be. An amusing story, fitting the prompt :)

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:27 Jun 24, 2023

Thanks for giving it a read. Just some light hearted fun this week, trying my hand at a ‘faux’ detective style, not my usual thing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:37 Jun 20, 2023

LOLOL I loved this tale! Knowing the prompt, my mind cycled through the likely suspects. In order: a pet, a husband, and a kid. Well, I got it right on the third guess, anyway. Very nicely written, and I bet you had fun with it. Your command of English is admirable. Not many people use the word "sidle" any longer. And I loved the sentence: "At the epicentre I stand and turn, a slow lighthouse, to study the scene with a practiced, veteran eye." Wonderful writing, my friend. Beautifully visual, and evocative of all mothers on the hunt for a ...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:36 Jun 20, 2023

Thanks Del, I was I bit daunted by the prompt, so I’m happy you think that it fits the criteria. I love playing around with words and finding the less common ones to use.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:05 Jun 19, 2023

Another nice story Michelle. I knew things weren't quite what they seemed but wasn't sure what was going on until right before the reveal so good work with that! I don't have an idea for this week yet!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:29 Jun 19, 2023

Thanks for reading. I don’t know how well it fits the prompt this week. I struggled with the prompts this week too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
14:02 Jun 19, 2023

Michelle, what I liked about this tale was that they kids got away with nothing and the mother held them accountable. What I thought worked well: the tone of the story was consistent and remained the same all throughout. What may need work. Nothing. Nicely done. One thought. Maybe varying sentences more into simple sentences when you get the chance may help on those long or extra long ones. I know that is what I look for in my writing. That and varied sentences of course. LF6

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:38 Jun 19, 2023

Thanks for reading Lily and for your suggestions. Always good to have an eagle eye reading it before submissions close to pic up errors and offer constructive criticism.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:14 Jun 18, 2023

Sweet,sweet sweet Mommy justice!!!🥺🎂

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:39 Jun 18, 2023

Thanks! Just some light hearted fun this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.