2 comments

Contemporary Fiction

“The lucky couple chosen for this years annual 'Love under pressure' competition is…”

I rolled my eyes and Felicity Goldman made a show of opening the envelope with the couple that could win money, a house, and favor for being, “cute”.

“Elliot Miller and Haysen Brown!”

I shot up,

“WHAT!?”

All of my family members started shouting at once, dad being the loudest of them all,

“HAYSEN EMERY BROWN YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND! AND ELLIOT OF ALL PEOPLE?!”

Mom was the second loudest,

“ELLIOT MILLER? YOU ARE DATING THAT LOSER?”

I threw out my hands,

“STOP STOP STOP, I AM NOT DATING ANYONE!”

I stared at our television,

“What the heck is going on?"

My little sister ran over to me and tugged on my jacket,

“Sissy, are you in love with Elliot?”

I refrained from throwing the lamp across the room,

“No, Lucy, I am most certainly not.”

We heard a loud knocking at our door, I looked at my mom,

“No no no no, mom, you can’t let them throw me into that stupid game!”

She shrugged,

“I don’t think there’s anything I can do for you hun, I’m sorry.”

I groaned, this could not be happening. Out of everyone that I could’ve been paired with, Elliot Miller was the worst option. He wasn’t exactly a, “bad” person, he just wasn’t my person. We were complete opposites, and I definitely wasn’t dating him. The dating show was supposed be a couple that were already dating. So why Elliot and me?

Dad went to open the door and I heard the squeaky voices of the producers,

“Where’s the lucky girl?”

I tried to run, but mom grabbed my arm and stopped me from fleeing. Felicity herself strutted in, her poofy sleeves bouncing up and down as she walked. She twirled her bright purple hair around her spindly fingers and looked at me,

“Well, today is your lucky day dearie, come with me, your match is waiting for you.”

I helplessly looked around at my family members, they averted my gaze. She looped her arm around mine and dragged me out of my house, my family calling their goodbyes to me. I was thrown into a shiny gold limo and we sped away. It happened so fast I barely had time to process what was happening to me.

The sparkly woman smiled at me, her teeth carved to look like diamonds, absolutely disgusting.

“So, I know this isn’t exactly the normal setting of the dating show, but for some reason, no other actual couples chose to enter this year.”

She gave me a once over and looked mildly satisfied,

“You’re no model, but you’ll do. Elliot is one of the most prime bachelors in the whole city. I’m sure you will be quite happy with him.”

I stared at her,

“I didn’t even want to be on your stupid show in the first place.”

She laughed,

“And she’s feisty too, the viewers will adore you sweetheart.”

I crossed my arms and flopped against the leather seat, why me? Why, out of EVERYONE did they pick me to toss into a fake romance. Especially, with Elliot Miller. Sooner than I would’ve hoped, we reached his house. In under a minute he was dragged out of his house and thrown in to the car beside me. His red hair was dusted in soot, he must’ve been cleaning his stove. He glared at me, his brown eyes glinting in the sunshine. I huffed at him,

“Hey, don’t you glare at me, I didn’t ask for this either.”

His expression softened a bit, he didn’t stop glaring, but it was less at me now.

“Wait, you didn’t sign us up?”

I looked at him, my eyebrows raised as if to say, “Seriously?”

“Elliot never in a million years would I sign myself up for that game, and I definitely would never sign myself up with you.”

He crossed his arms,

“Then why?”

I gestured to Felicity,

“Apparently, no one wanted to play their game as a couple so they made their own, couple.”

I made sure I used air quotations when I said couple. He blushed slightly,

“Oh, sorry.”

I chose to cut off the conversation there. We would have plenty of time to talk on-camera. The contest was a cheesy thing, the couple that was chosen had to do photoshoots and interviews, do challenges together. You get the idea.

Shortly we arrived at the living quarters, where we would be forced to live for the next two months. They escorted us inside saying nothing and shoved us inside a room before closing the door and locking it. When I say they shoved us, I mean they literally shoved us.

I stumbled over my shaky feet, falling directly into Elliot. His strong arms wrapped around me, keeping me stable. I pushed myself away from him, feeling my face get hot.

“I can stand on my own just fine thank you.”

He rolled his eyes,

“A thank you wouldn’t hurt.”

I clamped my mouth shut and stood, tilting my nose ever so slightly,

“I don’t need to thank you.”

He laughed,

“Of all people, you. Of course it was you.”

I whipped around at him, my face getting hot, but not from embarrassment this time.

“I never asked for this, I never asked to be dragged out of my home with no say in the matter, I never asked to be locked in a room with you, I didn’t want ANY of this. So, if you want me to help you win this stupid contest, I suggest you stop being a scum bag and start showing what little bit of maturity you have in your body.”

I turned away from him and stared out the window, trying to stabilize my breathing.

One, two, three, four, five.

I exhaled slowly, the counting bringing my head back to earth. Turning back to him, the heaviness in my feet ceasing a little. I sighed,

“Look, in about five minutes they are going to throw us in front of like a million cameras, and we have to act like we are madly in love. I have a feeling if we don’t cooperate then we won’t be able to leave.”

He nodded, sauntering over to me and wrapping his arm around my waist, pulling me close. He leaned down and whispered in my ear,

“Is this good enough for you?”

I nodded, the pink in my cheeks returning. I inhaled sharply, placing my hand on his chest. I’d never been held like this before. No, this was weird, this was Elliot. I pushed him away from me, but gently.

“Let’s save it for the cameras.”

He winked at me,

“Sure thing.”

I smiled against my own will, my heart thudding against my chest. My palms getting slick, what was this? I shook my head to clear my thoughts. We heard the click clack of Felicity’s stiletto’s coming close. We looked at each other, his fingers intertwining through mine.

“We got this Haze.”

I took a deep breath, just think about the money, just think about the money. She waltzed into the room and smiled her disgusting toothy smile,

“Ready?”

I looked at Elliot, sure this time, we could do this.

“Yes.”

With that, we stepped out, and plastered smiles on our faces. The show had begun.

November 12, 2020 15:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ari Berri
18:57 Nov 14, 2020

This is great! God job!

Reply

Vameerah Darren
03:15 Nov 15, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.