1 comment

Friendship Holiday LGBTQ+

"Coffee is life."


“Black plain, black with cream, 3-in-1 coffee, chocolate drink...”, sigh.


“There’s not much to choose in this machine. I tasted all of it when I set foot on this land.”


Of course I murmured it, but I think the lady heard me. I cringed. I continue walking around and grab something to eat.


I’ve never gone far outside in our building where I live, aside this nearest convenience store. I just stayed in my flat because I’m not familiar yet with the place. I arrived about 2 days here in New Zealand to study and I’m very much excited to roam.


It is first week of April and I still have two weeks to enjoy ‘autumn season’ before classes start.

Unfortunately, my closest friend whose helping me to make this things possible, to study here, take few days vacation with her fiancé for a family bonding. She is soon-to-be chef and her fiancés family, her soon-to-be in-laws wants to congratulate her and make a celebration. She’s supposed to be my tour guide. But of course I’m happy for her and I don’t want to be the hindrance for her future happiness. Besides being alone means me-time. It’s important because it allows us to reconnect what’s important to ourselves.


This studying abroad is new to me, same as fall season. There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant cascade of autumn leaves. Leaves change its color. This is amazing for me being born in a topical country with only two season, rainy and summer.


I think of myself, like the autumn leaves, I want to change my color, too. I gamble everything I have left in my country just to be here. New course , new work. As a International student at age of 30, it is same like a teenager in a new school. I feel like 18 again. This makes me smile and I didn’t notice the woman in front of me.


“Is there something on my face?” the corner of her eyes crinkled.


Oh, no, not again. “ I’m sorry. I- I… didn’t mean to. I- I’m always in deep thoughts lately and…”


“ No worries. I’m not mad.” she cut me. “Waiting for someone?”


I bite my inside cheek. “No, I’m not”. I lower my head, though I am smaller than her. I fidgeted with my phone.


“You like coffee?” I frowned

“I heard your murmur a little while ago.”


My mouth fell open. “You heard me?”


“You whisper, too, loud.” her mouth twitched. “Would you care for a coffee?”


Fear crossed my face.


“You don’t have to be afraid. I’m not a serial killer. I’m a local here.” She grab her purse and showed me a rectangular hard plastic.


“Here’s my ID.” extending her arm showing it to me.


“Oh, no! I didn’t mean to… you know.” I paused and breathed. “Does it show?”.


She gave me a wide smile and my face flushed. A long silence. I look away to hide my facial expression. I can feel her stare.


“I know a lot of coffee shop. It’s autumn season and they are reinventing new drinks. Would you like to have a drink with me?”.


My face lit up. “Yes, I will."


We had only 10-minute drive and stopped in a well known coffee chain.


“It’s crowded.” I pouted. I don’t like crowded place. It’s like, I can’t breathe. But this coffee chain is known for highly raved Unicorn Frappuccino.


“Aww, don’t pout sweetie. It’s not the end of the world.” she laughs.


“C’mon. Let me show you around. I told you, I know a lot of coffee shop.”


We just had a walk, not too far where she left her car. We entered a huge handcrafted cabin. This place is packed with different stalls offering different kind of drinks. Particularly, drinks that suits for autumn season. It’s cozy here, warm and more organic feel. It is located in a hidden spot surrounds with wonderful nightlife. Inside, it welcomes a smell like an arm wrapping around, giving a warm hug. There’s something in this coffee shop that’s giving me nostalgia. We can visibly see roasting the coffee grounds. Like a child with curiosity. I stared at it.


“Coffee always good for a jolt, yeah?”

she exclaimed.


I pursed my lips with a smile as a sign of yes. My mind is still processing to what I am seeing. Autumn is very much different to other season. It’s not just the leaves but the warm drinks that is worth to wait until fall. We went in the main counter to look what to order and they gave us menu. 


Woe! There’s a wide variety. I think there’s a less or more than 50 hot and cold drinks to choose from. 


“Close your mouth baby. You might catch a fly.” she whispered and we both giggle.


“There’s a lot. I don’t know what to choose.” I suddenly bite my finger. I am fascinated with these beautiful drinks. Eyeing actual servings ordered by other customers. Another thing that impressed me were the photos hanging

displayed. There were fantastic classic and new cocktails line-up. But of course I prefer hot drinks rather than cold. There were other regular drinks like beer, whiskey sour, mai tai and egg nog.


“You like egg nog?” My heart jumped when she snapped me from my thoughts.


“Oh… uhhm…” twisting my lips.

“I like to try drinks I haven’t tasted, but I need to stay sober, so latte is fine." I refused in a nice way.


“They serve a non-alcoholic eggnog.” she pointed me photo of eggnog in a mason jar. It’s like a fall and winter in a mug.


“It looks enticing but I will stick to latte. Maybe some other time. I will bring my friend. She’ll love it here.”


Her mouth curved into a smile with her head tilting. I then, focus in this fabulous coffees. My attention get caught with the new list of reinvented coffee lattes and I started murmuring again.


“Fall cinnamon latte, salted caramel latte, caramel chocolate hazelnut latte, peppermint mocha, creamy vanilla chai tea latte… oh, oh. They gave a twist also… Pumpkin spiced pie latte.” my eyes widened.


“I can see how overwhelmed you are.” she teased and I blushed.


We ordered and we sat on a table near window. Hers is eggnog and mine is the new twist of pumpkin spice latte.


“So you like coffee that much?”,

Before I could answer her, a coffee shop employee then followed where we sit and put an apple cider scented on the center of the table.


“Yes. Coffee is life.” I laughed a little.

“Coffee latte is delicious, but anything with maple in it…”, I paused “is infinitely better.”, I closed my eyes a little and to enjoy the smell of the candle.


“Autumn wind blows in and we tend to seek out warm drinks that help the body beat the chills. That’s why they reinvent hot drinks every year.” the corner of her mouth turned up and eyebrows waggled.


“That is why. I’m glad you bring me here.” I exclaimed and look again to the menu, as if memorizing every drinks in it.


“I’m glad the first coffee shop we stopped in is crowded. This is really the place I wanted to bring you in. Drinks here have decent quality and consistency.” giving me a half but truthful smile.


“And I thank you for bringing me here. This is my first favorite place from now on.”.


The shop employee came with our drinks and suddenly saw his name tag, ‘Danny’. Then we suddenly both say Thank you at exactly same time. We look at each other, stared a little and giggle.


“Money for us!” we exclaimed both then we laughed.


“I was surprised you know that, too.” teary eyed because of laughing.


“Of course, it’s an old saying.”

We then take a sip and I remember the employees name tag.


“You know what. I haven’t got your name but here I am trusting you my life. I’m Dianne by the way.” extending my right arm for a hand shake.


“Cate.”


“Cate like Cate Blanchett?” my face lit up.


“O-no. I’m not a Hollywood star but I am more beautiful than her.” she smirked.


I bit my lip and then we talk a lot. My background, her family, why I chose New Zealand, places she’s been… she’s a traveler, by the way. We talk about anything under the sun. But mostly about how lovely autumn can bring and she taught me how to make my own latte.

We didn’t notice it’s almost night. We both know we need to say goodbye. My face saddened.


“Why the sad face.”


I turn my face down and pout my lips. “I don’t want this day end.”


A corner of her mouth lifted. “You can message me anytime.”


“Really?!?!” I cover my mouth. Thankfully, people were busy chatting. No one notice my loud voice.


“Yes, please, give me your number.” excitement register on my face.


We exchange our numbers and before we exit the door, I turn my head back to the counter. She rub my arms.


“Care to share what’s inside that brain?”


I flashed a smile. “Read my mind.”


She smirked, left me gone back to the counter. When she came back, she handed me a coffee and bread.


“It’s a small cup. I just like you to taste one of the new line-up.


I giggled and hug her. “Thank you.”


I look happily with the cup of coffee. Just like this drink, I reinvented also myself. Adding something new in my life.


We walk outside with a plan to come back here in the coffee shop. When? I don’t know yet.



October 16, 2020 06:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Threese Belivett
01:26 Nov 04, 2020

Hi peeps. Thank you for liking my story. Take care always.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.