1 comment

Adventure Drama Teens & Young Adult

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Adaline had come back from the book and was sitting on her bed talking to her best friend, Zach, who was the only one who knew about the pens. 

“The pen of death is still in the wrong world,” Adaline sighed, “I hoped that my writing would help clean and solve the problems in this world, but it’s been a complete mess of my worlds and I can’t keep up.” Zach held out his notebook, “Maybe you need to write a different world and ditch the others.” 

Adaline looked through the notebook. It read; There were three guys in a cemetery. They were all 15. They decided to do an ouija board session. Their names were Az, T.J, and Micheal; but Az had to use the restroom ignoring the warning from his friends he just peed on the graves. Then all of a sudden he felt a very cold breeze even though it was July in Texas he shrugged it off and joined his friends. They pulled out the ouija board and put their fingers on the board and it spelled out: y. o. u i. n. s. u. l. t. e. d. u. s. w. e. w. i. l. l. h. a. v. e. a. r. e r. e. v. e. n. g. e. The three guys looked at each other, then az felt a searing pain. He pulled off his shirt. They looked at his back and saw three long scratch marks from his right shoulder to the bottom of his back. Then they saw something that was almost transparent. It was 9 feet tall with large, sharp horns. They knew at that instant it was a demon. Micheal screamed. WE GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE!!! Then the demon was right in front of them and with razor-sharp claws he killed Micheal. The demon said in a deep, evil voice. you shall all die! Az and T.J ran for the exit but it slammed shut and the demon said. you will not escape. Then one of the poles came off the fence and impaled T.J straight through the skull. Az pleaded. Please let me go, I'm sorry. Then the demon said in a cold tone. there will be no mercy and ripped az's heart out of his chest and ate it.

                      THE END

“First off, that’s not how you spell ouija board and what is with you and the disrespect to the dead. Everyone knows not to diss the dead. Oh, and you need to work on your grammar.”

“Well, if I had a magic pen I would be a great writer.”

Adaline raised an eyebrow, “That’s not how writing works, and can we please stay on the problem at hand?”

“Can I have a pen?”

Adaline sighed as she reached into her black nightstand and pulled out a box of store-bought pens. Zach sighed, “Should have seen that coming.” 

“I made the pens with pieces of me when I became depressed, so I can’t just pull magic out of hats.” Zach looked from the pen to Adaline, “Then why does your world sound like an anime?” “Because I mixed up a bunch of old ideas way before I got into anime.” Adaline stood and walked over to her bookshelf. She pulled out a deck of creative writing prompt cards and started to shuffle through. “There you are.”

“Is that magic, too?”

Adaline smiled, “No, just first aid to writer’s block. And the next world I’ll create after this Ethan problem is solved.”

“So, you’re not going to do my plan?” Adaline smiled at the cards in her hand, “Nope, but you just gave me an idea. How would you like to go to another world and kick butt?”  

Zach smiled, “Hell yeah!” Adaline opened the little brown book and they took off to the next world. After Adaline and Zach went through the book they found themselves in a dark room.

“What- where are we?” Zach's look changed from awe to disgust, “I pictured it differently. Is this where Ethan has the pen?” Adaline smiled, “Welcome to my mind of dreams. This is from the Saw movies. You did watch the movie list I sent you, right?” Zach shook his head, “I haven’t got to that yet,” he said as he tried to step forward. Adaline stopped him, “We are now victims in a Jigsaw game,” she said with a smile, “Now, do you want to break your foot or cut it off?” Zach looked from Adaline to the chain on his foot, “I thought we were trying to stop Ethan.”

“We are. We’re just in the wrong dream,” Adaline said as a door appeared in the middle of the dark gray room, “Now, let’s go find what we are looking for.” Adaline walked over to a disgusting stained bathtub that was in the corner and pulled out a pair of keys. Zach gagged as she reached down and unchained herself then walked over to him. Once unchained, they walked through the door that led to the next dream... 

Zach and Adaline walked right into the middle of a bloody war, “DUCK!” Adaline grabbed Zach by the arm and pulled him down to the ground as a spear flew by, “Where the heck are we now? WW3?” Zach said, trying not to eat the dirt. Adaline peeked her head over the mud mound, “You do remember that seven deadly sins story with the Japanese ghosts and demons that I was working on, right?” Zach nodded. “Well, this is it. I never finished it though,” she said as Zach looked around. The battle of a world filled with hate and darkness had the golden ashes of a small town in Europe. The dawn made the bloodstained soil look like a sea of red. Zach looked from the Sins to Adaline, “What are we doing here?” Adaline smiled, “This is where we get help. Come on, let’s go.” 

Adaline and Zach sat in a questioning room being interrogated by Daitan and Yoshi (Zach’s alternate self in this world) for what seemed like hours. Daitan sighed and rubbed her temples, “So let’s go through this one more time. I am a fictional character made up of a 17-year-old girl, you made multiple stories that are worlds with different problems and my devil eye is one of these magical pens that will help save every world from an uncontrollable World War that would end with a death count higher than all the Disney movies combined?” Adaline smirked and nodded, “How long did it take you to put two and two together?” Daitan scoffed, “If I am a weapon to save the world, why then am I in a different world where there is no war?” Zach looked from Daitan to Adaline, “Yeah, why did you do that, Addie?” Adaline sighed, “Because it was a safety thing that I came up with when I was little.” Daitan raised an eyebrow, “Where did these pens come from, ‘Writer of Worlds’?” Zach chuckled as Adaline gave him a death gare, “Shut it, Zachary! I can throw you under the bus!” Zach shut up almost immediately as Adaline continued to talk she started to get ticked off, “When I became depressed writing became my outlet to escape from reality. I made my feelings my powers and I then put them into seven of my pens. Now I’m gonna take my pen back,” as she said this Adaline put her finger on Daitan’s forehead. Daitan looked down to find a pen laying on its side in a pool of blood. 

The pen had an eyeball as a clicker. Its eye was covered in dark red blood. When Daitan looked up to lock eyes with Adaline, she noticed a small problem with her plan. Her left eye was sewn shut, linking tears of blood that rolled down her cheek. Adaline mouthed the word ‘Sorry’, then another door appeared in the middle of the questioning room. Adaline bent down and picked up the bloody pen, graded Zach by the arm, and went through the door that then vanished into thin air... 

Lason’s eyes widened when he noticed Tina’s absence, “SHE IS WITH THE ENEMY TOO OFTEN!” Angel wrapped her arms around him, “Ethan is a nice guy, without the god complex.” Lason slowed his breathing as he leaned into Angel’s warm embrace, “It reminds me of Norman. The poor guy couldn’t lie to save his life, and now he’s gone.” Cody looked at Angel, “Who’s Norman?” Angel sighed, “He’s Lason’s younger brother who was one of the kids that died in our escape.” Simon exchanged glances with Liz, “Escape from where?” Lason looked up and locked eyes with Angel, Kelsey, and Harper. Harper looked down at the floor, “We were kidnapped as babies and experimented on to be weapons for war. There were 37 of us and only a third of us made it out.” Liz’s mouth dropped, “Why would Adaline create a world like that?!” Kelsey put up his hands in defense, “Adaline put her real world into her writing. That she likes fiction way too much.” Cody turned back to Angel, “How did he die?” Lason rose, “He didn’t want to go hide in the woods while the rest of us acted like he took off. He was worried that they would hurt us if he got away and made it harder to escape. So, he gave himself up.” Angel took Lason by the hand, “He would be very proud and jealous of what we’re doing.” Lason’s face turned bright red, “THAT FOOL GAVE HIS LIFE FOR US! I COULD HAVE MADE A NEW PLAN!” 

Lason tore his hand free and stomped out of the club room in the heat of the moment. That left Simon, Cody, the Forgotten, Liz, and the three other assassins to find a way to get the pen away from Ethan while he’s at the dance with Tina. Angel sighed, “I’m sorry. His outbursts get out of hand at times. He’s worried that Tina may cost us the mission.” Liz glared, “Mission? It is my sister’s life! She’ll come up with something. She always does. She’ll get the pen, alright?” ... 

Adaline and Zach found themselves in a winter cabin with no electricity, internet, or phones. Adaline’s eyes widen, “No. No. No. We need to get out of here, now.” Zach turned around to face her, “What dream is this? What’s so bad about a cabin?” Adaline ran into the small kitchen, looking for knives, “This is my happy place,” she spoke fast as if there was no time to talk, “It holds my childhood fears and locks them away in this world. That’s why I am not jumpy while watching my horror movies.” Zach’s face grew pale, “What fears?” As soon as he had asked a thud came from outside. Adaline put a finger to her lips. Zach slowly moved to the window. 

There was snow everywhere making the scene peaceful. Zach turned, “There’s nothing there-,” before he could finish, a gray hand slammed against the window. A ghoulish girl stood with a grin right outside. “Zach, meet one of my inner demons,” Adaline said as she pulled him away from the window. Zach’s eyes looked like they would pop any second now, “WHAT IS THAT?!” Adaline shouted as she drove under a small table to hide, “IT IS ONE OF THE VOICES IN MY HEAD! When I started to have depression, she was the one telling me to kill myself,” she turned to Zach as he blocked the door, “WHY IS SHE HERE? I THOUGHT YOU GOT HELP!” He shouted back. “THIS ISN’T A CARTOON. THE VOICES DON’T GO AWAY, THEY JUST GET IGNORED! SHE IS A PART OF ME!” Adaline started to hyperventilate. Zach turned his attention to the window. The demon was gone. Zach turned to Adaline and the demon was there. Zach stood in fear. The ghoul’s mouth was moving, but only Adaline heard her, “You failed. You let Ethan take the pen. You are useless.” Adaline smiled, “I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!” The ghoul was stunned, and Adaline turned to the living room, “NOW, GUYS!” The sounds of footsteps of an army echoed through the hallway. A pair of blonde twins came running through the doorway with their angel wings fluttering behind them. The ghoul went into a battle stance and that’s when Adaline grabbed Zach and took off, went out the door, and into the snow... 

After catching their breath, Adaline and Zack sat in the snow, hiding from anything and everything. Adaline’s eyes started to water, “She was right, you know.” Zach turned to face her, “Who? The ghoul girl of crazy nightmares?” 

“It was my fault. Ethan got the Pen of Death because of me,” Adaline continued to tear herself down, that’s when Zach noticed it. A few feet behind Adaline, a devil-like boy was crawling like a spider towards them. The closer the demon freak got the more Adaline broke down like a five-year-old who got lost at supper market, “I’m useless. I killed Artie. I have blood on my hands.” The ground began to crack, separating Adaline and Zach. The tree that they were hiding behind came crashing down nearly flatting Zach. Zach spit out snow as he looked up. Zach’s eyes lit up, the door to the real world was right there. Zach’s face changed from joy to worry, the crack that pushed Adaline away from him was now a ravine. There was black ink that was either rising or Adaline’s ground was sinking. Zach glared up towards the sky, “Thanks a lot God. Thank you so much,” he mutters sarcastically. 

Zach took off towards the door. Don’t worry, Adaline, I’ll find help, Zach thought to myself as he went through the door... 

February 07, 2022 23:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Moon Lion
23:09 Mar 19, 2022

Your stories are so cool and intricate and I love the character of Adaline and the universe you've created. I'll be sure to give it a proper re-read soon and leave some actual feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.