22 comments

Fiction Speculative

My toddler has been crying since yesterday. I really need to turn this thing off soon.


“Emily, You can’t go offline now,” my teammate Zeke says, always pushing the mission as usual.


“He’s right.” Freya’s face appears, looking concerned. “You promised to stay with us until the trial.” She is the easy-going one, so when she gets serious, that's a sign something is important.


We are on our way to the trial of Copernicus to present arguments for clemency. If we don’t reach Rome by 1616 and petition the Pope, the timeline will see Galileo hanged 4 years later.


“Count me in,” I say. Another 15 minutes can’t hurt


Our immediate issue is that we are locked in the dungeon of Genoa’s archbishop awaiting execution tomorrow. He heard of our plan and had us arrested on charges of heresy. Sometimes, I wonder if one of my teammates could be a traitor.


Zeke taps my shoulder. “There’s a pictogram etched into the wall. Do you think you can decipher it? Maybe it's a way out of this cell.”


“Good spot, Zeke.”


I don't know if he's human or not, so best to be polite. These days, I can’t really tell, but usually the friendlier ones are usually AI.


“The first picture is a key, so…” I scan the other symbols and play with my hair while deep in my thoughts.


In the background, I hear my toddler still crying. A few months ago, I had a life, worked at the DMV. I played games now and then, but nothing like this. I don't know when it suddenly became so addictive. Maybe when I started to feel they really needed me.


There’s a bang, not in the game. I take off my headset and see a group of people in uniform coming through my smashed door.


“Child Protective Services. Stay where you are.”


The words to reply refuse to come out of my mouth. I’m still processing reality.


“She’s still tethered,” one of them says.


I have the virtual reality equipment on. The damp cold of the prison cell in North Storm IX tickles my skin. 


Someone shouts, “Located.”


I ask, “Located what?” 


A figure in a CPS jacket stands between me and my daughter's bedroom. Too bad Jim isn’t around anymore. He might have been able to do something about this. 


Are they taking Amanda? It's no point putting up a fight. CPS workers are strong and fast. Constantly surveilled, they never go online. They aren’t weak from sitting in a VR suit for days at a time like most people do these days.


One of them has Amanda in a baby carrier. I should do something. The largest one blocks my way They leave out the front door. One of them says, “Have a nice day.” then closes what's left of it behind him. “Seventh uncontested seizure of the day,” I hear in the hallway.


It's not good etiquette to talk about the outside worked in the game, but I think it’s happening to everyone. You can tell by how many people have child companions in the game now.


At least we have each other. I put the headset back on.


Zeke says, “You’re the only one who can do this, Emily.”


They watch patiently as I scan the pictograms on the wall one by one, making connections in their meanings. I need to solve this puzzle before morning.


**


At the packed DMV office, my creepy colleague Greg never stops flirting with me, even when I’m trying to get my job done.


“Emily, are you doing anything tonight?” 


“Not with you,” I announce, and go back to taking care of the impatient looking customer on the other side of the plexiglass. “Fill out your name, address, and driver's license number. Or, push the green button to consent to facial recognition filling out all your details automatically.”


The man scratches his chin, looks at me for guidance– I never give any–and pushes the green button like they all do.


After being rejected, Greg just keeps going with his daily monologue as usual. “A New York Times article says 99% of Candy Crush revenue comes from 1% of its users, mostly women. I saw you playing a few years ago?” Mansplaining, now tinged with misogyny. Great.


“I haven’t played Candy Crush in years.” Greg doesn't know I’m in the North Storm II community, or he'd never let up about it. I check notifications from my North Storm team members during bathroom breaks. It's far more exciting than anything people at the DMV have to say:


Grey says, “I’m working with this charity that's helping young adults and their parents with technology.” 


“Making the world a better place?” I ask, mockingly.


“Yes. Something like that.”


“Really?” I chuckle, then let loose with a full laugh out loud. We’ve seen everyone in Silicon Valley, who said that, become billionaires while inflation east away the lifestyles of all the rest of us.


Greg looks like he's about to cry. I’m feeling guilty for being harsh.


“Sorry Greg. But what can I do to just get you to leave me alone?”


“Come one time, and I’ll never ask you again.”


“I'll think about.”


His face glows as if he’s scored an epic victory, and he finally stops talking and goes back to his job. Tonight I’m looking forward to the release of North Storm II Chapter 5, so there's no way I'm going.


Right after 5pm, I see a notification that Chapter 5’s release has been delayed due to technical issues. Disappointing, it’s happened before. Having a rare break from the game at least gives me a chance to solve two problems. Getting rid of Greg, and filling up a night I now don't know what to do with.


At a hipster coffee shop in downtown Cincinnati, there's about 20 people that look like Greg's cousins, a few of their girlfriends, and an older man that looks like a cross between a Discovery Channel host and a mad professor. Or maybe those are almost the same thing.


He picks up a microphone, “Everyone knows technology is moving far too fast. Society, we need to tap the brakes!”


All the Gregs cheer. On the wall, there’s a banner with a silhouette of someone pushing a brake pedal attached to a computer.


“I have two pieces of good news,. The first is that the godfather of Ai, Geoffrey Hinton quit Google today.”


They seem to know who that is and cheer again.


“Before I get to the second piece of news. Let’s get to know something about each other,” he says. “We’re going to start by sharing some of our most embarrassing stories with technology.” The audience quiets down.


Someone shouts out, “I accidentally shared naked photos with my mom.”


“I lost my girlfriend to Internet Poker.”


The professor points his finger at me. Oh, shit. 


“Me?” I ask, pointing at myself.


“Yes, you in the purple coat.”


I gaze at my sleeve, unfortunately, it’s purple. A bizarre impulse to say something rash strikes me. “I hate to admit me this, but, two years ago, I spent 6,000 dollars on Candy Crush.”


“Candy Crush. That’s pure exploitation. An AI optimized slot machine,” he says. The crowd claps and I feel like they’re on my side. I thought people would call me an idiot if they ever found out.


A slide show begins, about the psychology of games. How the addictiveness of a random award is much greater than a predictable one, like baking a cake or taking a bath. And how AI will soon make the interactions human enough to bridge the conscious gap between games and reality.


After his slideshow is down, the professor announces, “The second big news today, one which Emily might appreciate after losing so much on Candy Crush, is that Tap The Brakes operatives hacked North Storm Games and took their servers down today.”


Oh my god, these people are the reason I can't play today?


“You did what?!” I shout out.


Everyone turns around and stares at me. I punch Greg in the shoulder, stand up and march out. It was a stupid idea to come here.


Nightstorm stays down for days. Just to tell them how pissed I am, I go back to their meetup the next week.


“I’m here today just to tell all of you how stupid it is to ruin a game for everyone. So fuck you.”


There’s an awkward silence. They go back to their usual chatter about how they wasted their lives online. To not let them forget me, I sit there and suffer through all their speeches again. 


Afterward, Greg offers to buy me a beer, and with the lack of anything else to do, I accept one for the chance to tell him how stupid he is to be wrapped up with these people, and a few more to drown out my anger.


The next week, North Storm finally comes back online. But after not playing for so long, I feel different. Better. I decide to take a break for another week and log in next Friday.


One thing leads to another. A month later, I’m handing out pamphlets for Tap The Brakes in front of a Starbucks downtown. People avoid me as if I’m a dangerous criminal for holding out a free piece of paper, and quickly stare down at their mobiles when they see me.


One day, a woman with a sparkle in her eye approaches me and takes a pamphlet.


“Thank you…” She looks at me with curiosity.


“Emily," I say, filling in the blank for her.


“Thank you, Emily.” She nods, and walks away. A few days later, I am amazed to see her face on TV talking in a debate about Artificial Intelligence.


Greg says if a butterfly flaps its wings in Cincinnati, it could cause a storm in Washington DC. My Mom, who I'm talking to again these days, says a butterfly flapping its wings is more likely to take flight than to cause a storm, but both of those options sound good to me.

May 05, 2023 15:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Delbert Griffith
10:38 May 11, 2023

Nice take on the prompt. Emily's 'sliding doors' episodes have a lot to unpack. The first part is purely dystopian. Uncontested child protective services removal say a lot about the society in which Emily lives. Video games with AI characters as players have taken over. The only real thing is the game. I suppose I find the second part more disturbing than the first. Emily still gets caught up in something that isn't quite real. She goes from one extreme to another. The cult of gamers is traded in for the cult of anti-gamers. She even goes ...

Reply

14:49 May 11, 2023

Thanks Delbert, I'll try to give you some good feedback as well tomorrow I saw we came up on critique circle. Signed up for it again as its good to see the new writers on the site. I didn't really think of the second 1/2 as being dark when I wrote it, but now that you and another pointed it out, joining the anti-gamer cult is sort of a different parallel addiction to the first 1/2. Its just where I saw her personality going I guess.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:47 May 09, 2023

Two very different paths, indeed. You mix dystopia and hope in equal measure. The passive way she lets her child get taken is particularly chilling, but considering some of the cases of e-addiction I've read about, also seems plausible. The second half focuses on forging human connections, both romantic and otherwise. Given in the first half, she played because she finally felt like she was needed, that might give us a clue why she was addicted in the first place and what led her down that road. Yes, an interesting speculative piece, and...

Reply

16:31 May 10, 2023

Thanks for reading. You had a good point, the main theme of the second half was human connection. Perhaps it would be been better to focus simply on that, and not even have the anti-AI group.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 May 10, 2023

Eh, no harm in having it. It adds some specificity to the story, and it's an interesting issue besides that. After all, AI isn't evil. Perhaps tuning it - and the game around it, to be hyper addictive all for the sake of profit - is, but the tech is just tech. And in the first half, it *does* fill a social void in her life. We must assume the void was there first, and although the second half has her developing healthy connections, there are also unhealthy attachments to other humans ("human addiction" if you will). So I think AI's (and oppo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
03:43 May 09, 2023

what do you have against candy crush!?! I envision the Venn diagram of video game addicts and Reedsy writers does not have much overlap. The first 1/2 reminded me of Ready Player One, and how the sorrow of life can be so extreme that video games are better than real life. typo- while inflation east away the lifestyles...

Reply

16:33 May 10, 2023

Thanks for having a read Marty. yeah, I had a read an article about candy crush years ago, that 1% of the users pay 97% of the fees, sometimes thousands of dollars, and thought that's very exploitative. With AI this could really go next level soon. Ready Player One , is that also a short story? I had watched the film a long time ago.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
12:50 May 06, 2023

Scott, mom's and doubt of self. What gives? great story Scott. Learning about how to deal with self in relation to game and other perspectives towards game and you are interesting. I wondered if this line was missing something. I have one tell him how stupid he is to be wrapped up with these people, and then have a few more, to drown my anger. Also - I enjoyed that you wrote about something that you let flow so freely from you - it shows in the writing. Nicely done. LF6

Reply

14:25 May 06, 2023

Thanks for reading Lily. I'm travelling so wrote a less complicated story this week. Who knows maybe that's better? That thought of what I can write simply in two hours was the genesis of the winning cat story readers seemed to have enjoyed.

Reply

Lily Finch
20:37 May 06, 2023

You did a great job. Where are you still visiting your daughter? Or on a trip of your own? LF6 If it is too private I understand.

Reply

01:44 May 07, 2023

Yep, in Japan visiting my daughter, she just started her first job and is doing great.

Reply

Lily Finch
05:37 May 07, 2023

Awesome. Good for you. Enjoy. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
03:38 May 06, 2023

Welcome back. Cheaper than therapy :)

Reply

11:42 May 06, 2023

Good to see you writing again too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:49 May 05, 2023

I can see some questionable errors like capital letters where there shouldn't be and non-capital where there should be capitals (does that make sense?) so proof read again. Maybe they were intentional. I am not up on games or AI so I am not the one to critique the flow. All I can say is it is an original take on how game-crazy/smart-phone addicted the world has become for CPS to be taking away your children uncontested. (Just got my first ever smart phone in January this year, still don't like it:)

Reply

11:44 May 06, 2023

Thanks for reading the rough version Mary. I went through it all again and patched up those little mistakes. As usual my plot is a bit too long for a short story, but glad to hear you found it an original take.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
06:00 May 12, 2023

Hi Scott, What an interesting university built for this piece! I like that you chose to make the happy ending the second scenario I think that if it had been the first one, I would’ve walked away, needing a breather and perhaps a nice big hug. Even though I say that I liked the second scenario better because of the happy ending, I ultimately admire the nuances of the first scenario. You packed a ton of detail about the possible post, apocalyptic, technology world into a few words, and I admire that your character didn’t grow, but in fact, ac...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
22:45 May 06, 2023

Social question: if I am a male and am taking a class from a male professor, can I say "Stop mansplaining"? Are there protections offered at work yet? I want to be protected. Oh. RE: story -I thought it was kind of funny to have a male narrator get harassed by a male at work. That happened to me in LA once but it wasn't funny at that time. -it seemed very symbolic that a mother would tether with her newborn on a video game. Like, you found a cure for separation anxiety. That is potentially patent worthy. *I already asked a lawyer and he ...

Reply

01:58 May 07, 2023

The second chapter is about one year previous, I guess the hint of that was she was still working and playing Night Storm II. In the first section she shunned Greg in favor of playing videos games, and somehow met up with another man Chris who didn't stick around. Yeah, the CPS taking care of millions of kidnapped children needs a lot more world building, guess would need 5,000 words to do properly. And had this thought AI is doing most everyones work so people don't need to go to their jobs. That new verb mansplaining really captures the e...

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:32 May 07, 2023

Oh, i just realized I didn't make it clear the narrator was the mother. Need to make that super clear if the gender of the narrator is different than the author, added that to the title.

Reply

Tommy Goround
11:04 May 08, 2023

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
11:05 May 08, 2023

It becomes clear. No worries

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.