Contest #171 shortlist ⭐️

73 comments

Historical Fiction Sad Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

13 June 1886

Standing at the edge of the lake’s still waters I stare out at the sublime mountains, still visible in the twilight, trying to ignore the commotion behind me. Ahead is peace and tranquillity, the calm of the water only briefly disturbed by the dance of a fly across the surface and sometimes the flip of a fish, pulling it down. If I keep my eyes fixed ahead and up, locked on the summits of those far-off lofty peaks, perhaps I can disappear from the disturbing present, into thin air, just as he has done.

It is not to be. Search parties holler at me to get out of the way; I slip on the stony shore as burly fishermen half stagger, half rush past me, into the waters, bearing the wooden boats between them. One, two, then many more humble fishing craft are borne down to the shore, with panting breaths and muttered curses, for today is an official day of rest. As the fishermen lurch past with their burdens, I hear one hiss to his fellow boat-bearer: “Trust the bloody King to have us up and out, even on a holy day.”

It is work they are unwilling to do: to take to the waters at this odd late hour; fishermen forced to look for an ungodly haul. As they slosh into the lake, water tipping into their boots as they heave themselves into the little vessels, I can feel their displeasure rise just as the holy spirit should be settling amongst them.

Pentecost: the day and night of the descending spirit. Coincidence, or had he known? Was it King Ludwig’s wish to cast off from the world on this particular day? Perhaps he had stood, as I do now, before skimming his spirit across the lake: a jumping stone, until it sank as he knew it must.

He has only been missing an hour and already the rumours are spreading: faster than the oars which now beat Lake Starnberg’s waters; further, like the search parties, separating as they begin the long slow trawl of the lake. Day seems to exhale its last breath and the water ripples, little tongues wagging, joining the talk on land:

“The mad King has taken his own life!”

“Suicide?”

“Looks like it, but his doctor is missing too.”

“They were out together for a walk- never came back… “

“You never! Here? At our lake?”

If one rumour reeks with the intoxicating fumes of insanity, the other is an explosive mix of gunshots and hidden assailants, topped off with a measure of murder:

“I heard those shots ring out, you know. I was taking a stroll on the lake; they echoed as loud as the Pfingstsonntag bells. “

“Since when do you take a stroll round the lake? A walk to the local guesthouse for a few beers would be more like it!”

“Well, it makes no difference. I heard them. Could have sworn I heard the splash too.”

“Splashes: I heard they murdered the doctor as well.”

Give it a few minutes and perhaps the rumours will change, flickering then flaring like the search lanterns bobbing across the waters. The lights burn tall and bright on their wicks, held aloft as faces crane into the dark waters below, searching yet hoping that no face will stare up into theirs. As the lights dance and the oars beat and the policemen call instructions for the fishermen to widen their search, I wonder if answers will flicker, seeming to shine, only to fail. Has Ludwig just disappeared, or is it something more sinister? Suicide, murder even? As the minutes lengthen, the chances of certainty seem to vanish without a trace, just as he has done.

A storm is gathering and thunderous cloud castles tower in the sky, reflected back in the glassy surface of the lake. They remind me of our happier times together at a different mountain lake, the Alpsee, where we used to take our walks, aspirations soaring like the buzzard above our heads. I can almost hear his earnest voice, raised above the crunch of his boots on the gravel path, telling me about the castles he swore he saw; how if he stared hard enough, he could almost see the door. No matter how many palaces I built him, turrets piercing the sky, challenging the mountains with their impossible beauty, it was the lake that drew him and those phantasmagorical cloud castles, so tantalisingly near and yet ever out of reach.

I shift the large book with its beautiful red cracked leather cover under my arm, feeling its weight. It used to be a comfort, now it just feels a burden. Within are all my plans: sketches and accurately rendered designs for our master visions, each one more grand- the people thought preposterous- than the next: hundreds of thousands of marks poured into the earth with castle Linderhof’s Venus grotto; millions for the palace that would crown him with the name Fairy-tale King: Neuschwanstein. His subjects called him mad; every stone we raised plunging the country into greater debt. If he were, then what does that make me? For I am the man behind them, who shared- no, who urged on and realised- those intoxicating dreams.

“Grimaldo?”

I start at my name, barked like a demand for attention rather than a question, and see a police officer striding towards me.

“King’s architect?”

“Yes. Can I help you Officer?”

“I need to ask you a few questions about the King’s disappearance.” He continues, giving me no time to concur.

“Did you know of King Ludwig’s plans to walk here tonight with his physician?”

“I’m his architect; I build his palaces. His leisure time is no concern of mine.” The response is out of my mouth faster than a whip’s lash and the officer flinches, obviously expecting me to be quiet and compliant.

“I see. So, I can record that he did not confide to you his intentions for tonight?”

The question makes me shift my weight uneasily; the slight movement sets the loose gravel about me sliding, and I slip slightly forward. The officer looks at me expectantly, tapping a pencil on the page in his little notebook headed “Grimaldo”. I look at my name and feel the last days begin to shift and slide in my mind. Memories are an avalanche of boulders, crushing me under their weight; I feel like I have the whole of the Alps pressing on my chest. The book is a dead weight under my arm; the pages tallying the numbers, running into the millions, each red figure is like a migraine’s pulse in my mind. Does he see what his words have set in motion? If yes, he has no time to ask another question: a shout goes up at the shore and he is off at a run towards the sound.

Someone is holding up an umbrella and an overcoat; I would recognise the dark wool anywhere. I am too far away, but I can almost smell the scent of that familiar lamb’s wool: mountain air, woodfire and the sour tang of lonely despair. Just the thought of his smell is nearly enough to make me buckle.

The day has tricked us, seeming to exhale peacefully; instead it was only ushering in a storm. Black clouds bank, pushing with force from the distant mountains, scudding across the sky, painting a dark scowl on the waters below. It is as if the coat and umbrella, held aloft, have summoned these dark spirits. Look at us! The abandoned possessions seem to cry at the sky. Come wind and weather and add your clamour to the breaking of a heart.

I curl my free hand tight, pressing the nails into the thick calluses on my palm, waiting for the jab of pain. It is nothing to my sense of shame: Remember Grimaldo: you had his visions; you had your genius, and what did you build him with the two? Prisons for palaces; towers where he could only lock himself away. Why hadn’t I been able to build him what he asked for? - a place to escape; a place to belong. Sat at my drafting table, sketching our dreams to life, why had I never seen that beneath all the turrets, towers and ornate finery there was nothing but debt and a foundation which ran deeper still: solid sorrow.

The rain starts like it has been summoned. The drops pierce the lake like a thousand eyes, boring deep, probing where the soaked and miserable fishermen have no desire to search. I see them on the lake, huddled under their flapping rain jackets, desperately trying to keep their little lanterns lit.

Swim deep King. Swim to the bottom and stay there. Don’t give them the pleasure of dragging you out; gloating over your bloated face. Stay with the fish; for there, even if they pick your bones, it’s better than the cruel dissection waiting here, at the hands of those who never loved you.

It is not to be. Another shout goes up, this time of jubilation.

Here! Over here!

The King?

Yes, and the other one, the doctor.

Are they…?

Yes- dead. Drowned.

It is the news only I seem to have been dreading; all others, fishermen, officers and passers-by, flock now to the finding place: a wake of vultures, flapping black figures jostling to be the first at the scraps. I have never wanted to feast on death. The time for tombs approaches, but it wasn’t always so: I built banqueting halls; I summoned infinite space and light in my halls of mirrors and I hollowed the earth to make temples for music where the King could feel most alive. I close my eyes as the rain courses from my sodden hair, down my neck, pooling in my shoes; it is a baptism of memory, drenching me in recollection: Ludwig’s ebony hair, his faraway look, then the warmth of his neck as he held me close, staring in wonder at the castle I had built, a solid legacy of his genius and my love.

I can bear the burden of it all no longer. I was architect to his dreams but now that waking vision has fled. Removing the book of plans from under my arm, I caress its beautiful red cover one last time. As if agreeing with my intention, the wind courses from behind me, speeding my arm as it curls back, looping over my head. The book soars aloft, borne on the wings of the wind; pages fly from the covers, momentarily swirling in the stormy air. And then, inevitably, they drift downwards; the book shatters the water and loose pages settle on the surface, the inked designs unravelling like my mind.

I walk into the lake as the pages sink around me; the time has come, to look for those castles in the clouds.



November 09, 2022 13:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Delbert Griffith
09:49 Nov 10, 2022

Wow! The similes and metaphors are stunning! Everything about this story is lyrical, haunting, and transcendent. I think this is your best writing in terms of beautiful prose. Oh that I could scribble as well as you. I'm quite jealous, but in a good way (is there such a thing?). Nicely done, Rebecca.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:45 Nov 10, 2022

Lyrical, haunting and transcendent: that's how I feel about his life (I think Ludwig is a muse for any writer given the visions he had) so if they are the adjectives you reach for when considering my story about his life then I am tickled pink, as we Brits say! Thanks ever so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:42 Nov 09, 2022

I had no idea that's how the king died. Very suspicious, especially with the doctor too. There are some good contrasts here. Private tragedy vs public tragedy, and the very opposite viewpoint the protagonist takes to finding the king, than the fishers and the police. Dreams vs reality - they spent a lifetime chasing a dream, but the reality of debt and death brought that all crumbling down. Ludwig's death is suspicious, and he refused to stop his projects, to stop accruing debt. If this wasn't suicide - if he was killed, for reasons of m...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:42 Nov 10, 2022

I hope the story gave enough details for the context to come to life. It is a tricky one for me to gauge (too much backdrop, not enough)as over here in Bavaria the whole royal history, along with lots that is probably more legend than historical fact, is very common knowledge (it is a big part of the school curriculum). I wanted the colourful story, and the heartbreak, to lead the way. Fingers crossed! He is a fascinating figure, who I think would have been treated more kindly with his sexual tendancies and soaring visions, had he been born ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:53 Nov 10, 2022

I was aware of King Ludwig (not well, not in any formal study capacity, but vaguely) so the context was quickly clear to me. I don't know how someone completely unfamiliar with the history would take it, but… well, it's a short story, not a textbook. You have a mysterious death, you have a man who is suffering (sorrow, remorse, guilt - even irritation at these other people interrupting him), you have a hinted-at secret love story - I think all that comes across fine. The ending particularly is very dramatic. If you wanted to stress the con...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:38 Nov 11, 2022

Good ideas. I'll have a ponder.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
06:23 Nov 11, 2022

I decided to preface the story with the date. I think that's more seamless than breaking Grimaldo's stream of consciousness. Thanks for the good tip!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:05 Nov 18, 2022

Congratulations on the shortlist! Well deserved :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
07:48 Nov 15, 2022

This writing is of a caliber I haven't previously encountered on Reedsy. Literary par excellence, lavish in description without being overwrought. I agree with those who say there are wondrous things in store for you as an author. Bravissima!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:18 Nov 15, 2022

That's really very inspiring Mike. I hope your words are prophetic but in the mean time I'll just keep scribbling. Having readers is an achievement and motivation in itself isn't it.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
23:07 Nov 15, 2022

Indeed it is, Rebecca.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nick Rowland
20:56 Nov 14, 2022

Excellent story. A short story, but so much packed into it. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Campbell
23:33 Nov 13, 2022

Rebecca, I loved the voice of this piece. Poetic, forlorn, and old-worldly. The passages flowed so beautifully, that when I got to the end, time had passed faster than I expected. I could have read more. In fact, I wanted to read more. Well done!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
12:14 Nov 17, 2022

There is a book on the way! (Mind you it stands at only six chapters, as I write, and as I keep getting tempted by Reedsy it is going to proceed at an old snail's pace!) Thanks ever so much for the lovely adjectives!

Reply

Chris Campbell
22:51 Nov 17, 2022

Same here. I love writing short stories each week, but it too is slowing down the start of my novel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:03 Nov 13, 2022

I like to think you wrote this with quill and ink. This story is worthy of a Waterhouse painting! You've conjured up the late 19th c. in all of its gothic beauty, (maybe even with a lacey white handkerchief to muffled those bloody coughs - curse you, Tuberculosis!) Very Harriet Shelley way to go out (like when she was pregnant and found out Percy Bysshe was frolicking with Mary.) Pure poetry here: I summoned infinite space and light in my halls of mirrors and I hollowed the earth to make temples for music where the King could feel most ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:14 Nov 13, 2022

A Pre-Raphaelite cover would be rather wonderful. Tennyson's Lady of Shalott is one of my favourite poems because of all the artists' beautiful swirling romantic imagery. The story shares a lot with the poem, come to think of it: doomed artistry and watery graves. Maybe I can spin out that story in a two for one bargain bonanza! Tuberculosis: Keats was my other option this week as I visited his house last week but I ran out of time. I won't spoil your image of me, scribbling with quill, ink and blotting paper; it fits the romantic vibe altho...

Reply

20:01 Nov 13, 2022

And music, came from Camelot: Or when the moon was overhead Came two young lovers lately wed; 'I am half sick of shadows,' said The Lady of Shalott.

Reply

20:02 Nov 13, 2022

I've taught British Literature for 10 years. It makes American Lit unbearable...

Reply

20:03 Nov 13, 2022

Doomed artistry + Watery Graves = Hamlet (But then, everything equals Hamlet...)

Reply

20:04 Nov 13, 2022

Poor Keats. He had an inheritance that he never knew about. Lived like a pauper and didn't marry Fanny when he could have... “Here lies one whose name was writ in water,” indeed. Keats wrote my favorite non-Shakespearean sonnet: When I have fears that I may cease to be Before my pen has gleaned my teeming brain, Before high-pilèd books, in charactery, Hold like rich garners the full ripened grain; When I behold, upon the night’s starred face, Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance, And think that I may never live to trace Their...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
20:20 Nov 13, 2022

It even worked its way into King Charles' speech for his mum; I wonder if he (or his speech writer) knew who they were plagiarising....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Rebecca Miles
20:15 Nov 13, 2022

And I have taught in an international school for the last 7 years; started off with Shakespeare, Tennyson and then over the years have adopted all the American classics. Hamlet, bye bye, likewise, Othello; Tennyson adieu and hello The Crucible and Catcher in the Rye...I even teach Bob Dylan as a literary unit.....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Rebecca Miles
20:22 Nov 13, 2022

Here's some joy for you and any others who have a weakness for romantic poetry. Loreena McKennitt - The Lady Of Shalott (Live from the Juno Awards) https://youtu.be/Z77PR0JA0gU

Reply

20:48 Nov 13, 2022

I have loved McKennitt since the 1990s. She and Enya fueled my ridiculous romantic notions through my 20's :) (The Crucible...? zzzz)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:52 Nov 13, 2022

Actually I ditched The Crucible and teach Satrapi's Persepolis now instead; a very important book and the kids like the pictures ...I only came to McKennitt about 15 years ago; I was lucky to have a very romantic teacher at teacher training college...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Thomas Brook
18:50 Nov 13, 2022

Amazing read. Best one I have read so far for this weeks topic. Well done and keep going

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:20 Nov 13, 2022

That is really such a wonderful thing to say. Thanks ever so much. I love the Reedsy community so much, a really supportive place.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angelo Grosetti
17:49 Nov 13, 2022

Rebecca, sei una scrittrice di talento. Mi è piaciuto molto questo racconto e non vedo l'ora di leggere il tuo prossimo post. Saluti da Venezia, Italia

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:01 Nov 13, 2022

Thanks for the beautiful message. It's my first Italian comment and what a lovely one. Grazie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Hill
17:48 Nov 13, 2022

What a lovely short story! Keep writing such amazing stories.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:00 Nov 13, 2022

Thanks for reading and commenting; I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
16:52 Nov 13, 2022

Rebecca, you know I’m a fan and stories like this are exactly why. If the job of a writer is to make the reader feel part of the story than you are the very definition of a writer. Your descriptions are so precise without being over weighted. Your dialogue is so believably real it feels like I’m watching and listening as it happens. I’m so glad you share your gift on Reedsy but there are better things in store for you. I can’t wait to see them.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:20 Nov 13, 2022

Ah Thom, you make me feel it might come true and isn't a delusion. Can we possibly realise those visions or will they end in the deep inky depths? At least I know I've readers on Reedsy and that makes my heart skip a double beat. Thanks for being a dream believer. I'll head over to yours after dinner.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lindsay Flo
21:43 Nov 12, 2022

You have a mastery of language! The descriptions are so beautiful, I barely paid attention to the story haha. Phantasmagorical is my new favorite word, as well. I could see this little story being developed into a big, long novel...the King and his architect/lover and all that befalls them. Nicely done!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:17 Nov 13, 2022

I love that word too and life sadly doesn't give so many opportunities to use it. Yes, that big, long novel on King Ludwig is what I'm wading through though it feels as deep and dark as the story's lake at the moment! Fingers crossed for my keeping up with it; I long to be a professional writer....you too?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:56 Nov 09, 2022

Miles of smiles during this one, sister! I get lost in the poise and beauty of your writing! It is like reading treasured classic literature, especially with the subjects of castles. Some of my favorite lines were these: "Give it a few minutes and perhaps the rumours will change, flickering then flaring like the search lanterns bobbing across the waters." "Ludwig’s ebony hair, his faraway look, then the warmth of his neck as he held me close, staring in wonder at the castle I had built, a solid legacy of his genius and my love." - so the...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:41 Nov 09, 2022

Hey sister scribbler! So many lovely comments for me to pick up and hoard like a magpie! This is still in the drafting stages so I wonder if you could let me know if the historical background works and if the writerly flourishes add to the story. I've tried hard to get the context right for those that may not know too much about King Ludwig. This story is actually the premise for the book I'm writing (6 chapters in and counting). You wouldn't believe how much research I've done on the Fairytale King; luckily I'm only an hour's drive from mos...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:20 Nov 10, 2022

I am amazed by you, Writer of Storms (I think this will stick if we work it hard enough!), a book! I am not surprised though because as I was reading this I thought "she needs to write a book, this feels like a book!" So as for the historical background, I do think you've given enough. I no probably zero about King Ludwig (I am no history buff!) and I was able to follow along clearly. The narrator's voice gives us a lot of information and your descriptions of the castle and the dialogue is telling of the times too. Though I imagine with this...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:17 Sep 01, 2023

I became completely absorbed in this story. After seeing a programme on the subject, it made it even more poignant. It captures the mystery surrounding Ludwig’s death so well. The more I read, the more I began to understand the fascination.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:23 Sep 02, 2023

That programme sounds like something I should check out to reinspire me for the book project which has fallen off the back burner in recent months! Thanks so much for taking the time for two of mine recently. It's back to school this week, busy time for us teachers, but I promise to check out your latest before Friday! Hopefully here in Germany the schools don't have aero concrete too!

Reply

Helen A Smith
15:45 Sep 02, 2023

It’s so hard to keep things going when you are busy with work. Keep going with your book, even if you only manage a few paragraphs a day. I do a bit of writing on the train to work unless I am shattered (which is most of the time). 😂 I’m writing a novel about ancient Egypt. Crazy amount of research, but it keeps me out of mischief! If you get time, see what you make of Ritual, my second to last short story. I should imagine things would be more efficient in German schools. Let’s hope so.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
06:55 Dec 04, 2022

Absolutely stunning descriptions, Rebecca! Well done you! And congratulations on the well-deserved shortlistedness (declaring this a word now!)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:35 Dec 04, 2022

Coin that word! Thanks my lovely.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
15:05 Nov 25, 2022

Hi Rebecca! Oh congratulations on the shortlist! You make words so incredibly beautifully tangible in all of your stories. I love the way that your prose crafted a web of deceit in this piece. My favorite line was: If one rumour reeks with the intoxicating fumes of insanity, the other is an explosive mix of gunshots and hidden assailants, topped off with a measure of murder: I also enjoyed how you incorporated swimming into this piece. I feel like I the modern world, the ability to swim is such a second nature skill that is a bit taken for ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:44 Nov 25, 2022

Thanks so much Amanda. Yes, I enjoyed writing that flashback, remembering swimming in the summer in mountain lakes myself. I bet you can lots of warm wild swimming in California!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:50 Nov 22, 2022

"No matter how many palaces I built him, turrets piercing the sky, challenging the mountains with their impossible beauty, it was the lake that drew him and those phantasmagorical cloud castles, so tantalisingly near and yet ever out of reach." Absolutely luscious. Such a pleasure to read. I felt as though I were watching the literary version of an opera. I love the way you pull in gothic tones and still find ways to infuse light and art. Well done.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:05 Nov 22, 2022

Thanks so much Kevin. It's a reworking of the opening chapter to my book so it's great to see a readership respond warmly. This style of writing suits me down to the ground: it's like Yeats' cloths of heaven; just wrap me up! I'm so pleased you saw the light too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
18:07 Nov 21, 2022

Not always do you see king and queen stories coming from westerners even those from countries with queens and kings? President is what you mostly read from them. Congrats. You kept breaking ground here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marilyn Filewood
22:56 Nov 19, 2022

I should have said references not descriptions. Its just enough.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marilyn Filewood
22:53 Nov 19, 2022

What amazes me, Rebecca, is how I feel transported to this time and place. It has a gothic doom about it - you evoke that so well! I want to see the castles. The best of all are those visceral descriptions of the dead drowned bodies. So evocative.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aeris Walker
01:10 Nov 19, 2022

I’m so pleased to see GOOD writing like this recognized. Your story is a complete display of writing that showcases a strong vocabulary, a confident command of historic events and setting, great character development skills, and downright Augustinian prose woven throughout all of it. Beautiful. I particularly liked these lines: “As they slosh into the lake, water tipping into their boots as they heave themselves into the little vessels, I can feel their displeasure rise just as the holy spirit should be settling amongst them.“ “Day seems t...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
09:36 Nov 19, 2022

Ah Aeris, I hoped the rich language would capture the magnitude of their vision and the tragedy of its demise. It's actually a reworking of the first chapter for my book on Ludwig told from Grimaldo's pov. All the comments, yours included, have inspired me to have faith in the project and to keep writing. Six chapters in, juggling the teaching job, 3 children and Reedsy means I often, sadly, put the book on the backburner. Your words are the spur I need, thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.