When the World Ended

Written in response to: Write a story about someone whose time is running out.... view prompt

3 comments

Gay Coming of Age Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The sun penetrated through the trees, their shadows dancing in the warm glow. I followed the path made of cobblestone and saw the setting sun getting lower with every tick of a clock. It was getting dark here in Crison Creek. And with every second counting down, it was getting more dangerous.


The most peaceful place on Earth: Crison Creek Oregon.

Well. That’s the way it used to be. Before the United States were attacked by foreign countries. These countries were international hackers, terrorists, some of them were even traitors. The United States would be no more.

All because of the CCP.


The CCP launched their attack on December 8th 4077. Which would also mean a civil war. A war that would soon be known as WWIV.


It’s crazy how we take advantage of life and give nothing back. That’s what got us here today. It was a hell of a world nowadays. 


This is what happened when the world ended:


Jack looked at me fearfully, "Seth! W-What's gonna happen?"

I shook my head, tears dripping down my face. "I don't know, Jack. We're all going to die I guess."


"Not if I can help!" Suzie said bursting into my room with my Nerf Gun, My favorite one too!


"SUZIE! DON'T YOU SEE THAT JACK AND I, ARE TRYING TO SHOOT A MOVIE SCENE!?"

"Oh, calm down, Seth! I'm 5. Let me play!"

"Yeah. 5! Get out! You're too little!"

"And? Aren't you?" she tried to say.

"I'm 15!"

"MOM! SETH ISN'T LETTING ME PLAY WORLD WAR 4 WITH HIM!"

Mom yelled something incoherently in a slurred voice.


She was drunk.


Of course.


Suzie started laughing, "Aren't you a little too young to be dating? Seth? Because if I get my proof, I'll show mama and she will ground you for the rest of your life. Especially if you're ga-"


I interrupted her, "Fine! You can play. But you can't be in our movie!"

"That's fine!" She giggled.


Sometimes I really did despise my little sister.

"Can I have my Nerf Gun back?"

"Not if you want me to tell mom your secrets."

"Fine. Be like that."

"I will." She laughed loudly.

"Oh, and by the way, I'm not dating anybody!"

"Jack, is he dating you?" She tried to say sneakily.

"No. I like girls, Suzie. I have a girlfriend."

"Oh." She sounded disappointed.

"Plus, I don't like Jack like that! He's my best friend!"


"This is boriiiiing! Let me shoot you with my Nerf Gun." Suzie said.


I scowled at her, and she laughed.


Soon Jack had to go home and do his chores and homework. But I think he was uncomfortable that went home early. Thanks to Suzie. Jack hasn't gotten used to the fact that I like boys. Though, that's not the point.


I got back to my monologue, and it made Suzie laugh.


This is what happened when the world ended:


I had my sniper and was shooting soldiers who were armed. They couldn't see us, since we were hidden under a car. I shot one of the commanders and his buddy whose name was, Zeke.


(Zeke. Was a bully in real life and the bad guy in my game/movie I was making.)


My time was running out, I had three minutes to shoot and kill the top bad guy, Johnny.


Johnny was the leader of the "CCP Invasion Agency." Also, he was a traitor the United States of America. That meant he had to go.


But he never showed up to the spot our ransom was supposed to be held.


Damnit!


Our president, President Quarr was there looking at his watch. Pacing back and forth as we speak. But that's when he was shot and killed right in front of me.


I blinked and everything went black. I was shot! Shot with a dart to temporarily put me to sleep.


I don't remember when I woke up. I just remember laying on a cold iron table that people do autopsies on.


I kicked someone but was quickly pinned down. Great.


A man, who turned out to be, Johnny, spoke to me,


"Well, well, well! LOOK WHO WE HAVE HERE!"


Classic villain speech.


"We killed that president of yours. And now it's time for you to die. You killed my men. So, I'll kill you. WELL...I won't kill you...JACK WILL!"


DUN DUN DUUUUN


"LIAR!" I yelled.

"Oh, he's not lying." Jack laughed cracking his knuckles,

"I'm going to enjoy killing you."

"You traitor!" I yelled at him.


He just laughed.


"For all this time! You've been completely stupid! YOU KNEW NOTHING! I was the mole, Dason wasn't. I made sure he was killed. I even almost got caught! I had to put the blame on somebody but you. Nobody would believe that you were the mole. You're the 'chosen one' blah, blah, blah."

"Jack don't do this."

"Why?"

"BECAUSE YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND! Jack!"

"No. No, I am not."

Jack picked up a gun and pointed it towards my head.

"There won't be any last words from you."


With a swift hand he swung his arm to the right, killing Johnny. Not me? Wait what?


He started laughing,


"You! You should've seen your face!"

"A double agent?"

"Yeah. A few people's blood on my hands...I pray for forgiveness. I had to get close to Johnny. I had to kill him! And together we can kill the whole CCP."


Mom screamed for me downstairs. It was already 5:00. I had to make Suzie and I dinner. While walking downstairs, Suzie asked me something,


"What is the CCP?"

"The Crison Creek Police."


I made dinner for the two of us. Mom being slumped on the couch snoring in rhythm. Mom would be pissed if I woke her up. So, I better not do that.


But she'd also get mad if I didn't feed her. So instead of waking her up, I put the food on the table until she smelled it. She awoke and ate the food I made. She called it disgusting, even though her face said otherwise.






January 25, 2024 00:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

K Cao Xai
23:15 Jan 28, 2024

This story was such a nice surprise. I loved how the "world ending" scenario was actually a movie the protagonist was shooting, and the way that was revealed was pretty funny. I really enjoyed the difference between the protagonist's real life and how he imagined himself saving the world in the movie he's filming.

Reply

Idk Lol
00:00 Jan 29, 2024

ohhhhhhhh thanks :) I'm so happyyyyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Idk Lol
00:31 Jan 25, 2024

:P

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.