115 comments

Sad Romance Fiction

7 December 2015


My Dearest Alex,


Just so you know, I’m writing you this letter in the garden of my new home, the only one on the street with high concrete walls topped with barbed wire that stabs the still air. Part of me is trying to reassure myself that I’m safe within this enclosure. However, I know very well that not even this imposing barricade can protect me from the sea salt and coconut-scented breeze slapping me across the face at this very moment, a gentle whisper of wind that, once upon a time, kissed me as tenderly as you always had. I can’t help feeling powerless as a tempest whirls inside of me and knocks out all the air in my lungs and the words from my mouth.


I’m sorry. I know you’d want me to forget, but like a windmill, my head keeps cycling back to the day Yolanda the Thief blew everything away from me, carried you away from my arms like a leaf flying in the saline breeze from the bay.


Of course, not even the strongest typhoon gusts can destroy the stone edifice of what this day is --- or well, what it was supposed to be --- to me. Today, we would have been celebrating our second wedding anniversary, two years since we would have vowed to be the wind that powered each other’s wings. I know we probably would have clinked glasses of light, airy champagne on a beach, either on the sands of very familiar mouth of Leyte Bay we had left our footprints in a myriad of times or elsewhere. I know you really didn’t care, as long as one of your cheeks was caressed by the breeze and the other, by my lips.


 All of that has been blown off the realm of reality, of course. As much as I try to run after that bliss, I know it might as well been swept up by a cyclone. All because of Yolanda the Thief. My only hope is that wherever you are, our memories are still written in the pristine shores of your heart, that no wind of time has come and erased them.


I hope the winds of time haven’t erased the day we met, the day you breathed life into me with a smile. We were in university, then. I remember how I was walking to class, inhaling the strangely intoxicating scent of petrichor in the air and letting it fill my lungs, when my umbrella flew out of my hands and into a huff of air. It must have been quite a scene: a woman with puffs of curly hair relentlessly chasing after an amethyst-coloured hunk of cloth and wire with polka dots dancing in the wind. Suddenly, though, it disappeared from my view, and a thunderstorm of panic raged inside of me. Little did I know then that a breath away, you’d tap me on the shoulder, beam at me, and hand me back the runaway item. Even in that moment I first saw that summer breeze of a smile, I knew that I wanted to weather the storms with you for the rest of our time on Earth…a time by your side that Yolanda the Thief was all too happy to cut short.


I hope the winds of time haven’t erased the night you had me listen to your favourite song. I still recall your fragrant waves, dark as Leyte Bay at midnight, dancing in the cool breeze from the half-open window of your apartment. You beamed at me so brightly, broke into a smile of cloudless summer days where there’s moisture in the air, as you popped in your copy of Dusty Springfield’s “Dusty in Memphis” album into your player. It was just the two of us, as well as an atmosphere of anticipation, when "Windmills of Your Mind" filled the air. You encouraged me to close my eyes as we listened, to lose myself in every breath the singer took along with you. When the British crooner’s voice filled the room with her sultry voice like a musky perfume, I felt your soft hand intertwine into mine. That very moment, as love bubbled and fizzed in my blood, I knew that there was no other place I’d rather be than next to you…a warm space that Yolanda the Thief was all too happy to rob.


I hope the winds of time haven’t erased the promise I made when I boarded that plane to New York. I still see your warm brown eyes, a flood of tears flowing from them at the airport’s departure area. I remember too how it all felt as if the atmosphere was sucked dry, how with every breath I took, I felt my own watery eyes weighing me down. I stared at you in that hall and whispered, almost cried, that like General McArthur did on our island in World War II, I shall return to Tacloban, to you, after my four-year Master’s Degree programme. Meanwhile, we tried to bend with the wind of distance, didn’t we? Through a phone screen, I accompanied you countless of times to the airy mouth of Leyte Bay you’ve always held dear; every single video call, you ended by blowing me a kiss. In return, you were always with me as the frosty winter gale wrapped around my body, my breath turning into puffy white clouds. You know that by now, I would have fulfilled that vow I made, written in the concrete of my soul….a vow that Yolanda the Thief was all too happy to nullify.


I hope the winds of time haven’t erased the picture of the home we were planning to build. How can I ever forget those moments sitting on the shore with you, our feet buried in powder white sand and our lungs filled with sea breeze, as we imagined a beautiful terra cotta-coloured bungalow with huge bay windows? Out of thin air, we pictured the little family we’d build --- comprised of you, me and, perhaps, a little boy with my puffs of curls and your bubbly laughter --- racing out of a sky blue door to the beach our humble abode would be planted on. Of course, you know that eventually, we were able to save up enough to purchase a slice of land next to the bay and start on building the house. Certainly, it was no mansion, but it was to be our castle in the clouds….a home that Yolanda the Thief was all too happy to hollow out until all that inhabited it were air and termites (much like me, really).


Most of all, I hope the winds of time haven’t erased you knowing how much I love you, my darling Alex. It’s been two years since you were flown away from my embrace, and still, all I whisper in the wind is your name. My mind is still a tornado, still circles around the fact that you are not next to me in this bed, that I do not share your last name like we had planned. I know. I’m supposed to start moving on from losing you like a bird flying in the gentle summer breeze, How can I, though, when all I ever wanted was for us to stay standing together, for the days of the salty bay’s perfume to last forever, for Yolanda the Thief to have never touched you?


I just want to know that even if you’re far away from me now, our years together aren’t gone with the wind for you. Just let me know that you remember me, my Alex, that I’m set in stone in your heart as you are to me. It’s all it takes for me to be okay.


Loving you until the atmosphere turns to dust,

Your Aria

****

The folded letter to the man I’m supposed to be married to is inside an envelope with clouds printed on, my favourite citrusy perfume sprayed on it before heading to this quiet garden, where only birdsong fills the atmosphere. On me is the flowy white dress that Alex always loved on me, the one he always said made me look like the cumulus clouds we stared at every time we were on the beach. This is it; it’s time to hand it to the man who once exclaimed to the summer air how excited he was to be my intended groom.


“Happy anniversary, darling,” I whisper to the wind as I come face-to-face with my Alex.


In front of me is a marble slab the colour of the skies the day my beloved was carried away from me. I trace the inscription on it with my pinky as a wave of fresh tears flood from my eyes.


Alexander Robin Corentino

21 February 1980 - 7 November 2013

Your laughter will forever fill the air around us.


I stare at the second date on my Alex’s tombstone as bile swirls inside of me like a whirlwind. 7 November 2013, the day Super Typhoon Haiyan pummelled our island: the day I begged to come back to Tacloban to be with my fiancé but no plane would dare brave the storm, the day I had to keep my eyes glued helplessly to the television as I awaited news of who survived the tempest, the day I got a phone call from the coast guard saying they found Alex’s lifeless body floating in the storm surge, the day I wished the swell would consume me alive too.


Although, we Filipinos do not call that natural disaster that ended thousands of souls Haiyan. No, it is our way to give these gusts of destruction a local name, a moniker worthy of the worst soap opera villain, a familiar label to hate. And goddamn, I absolutely loathe the name Yolanda, especially now.


Of course, for the disaster prevention council, the meteorological agency, and the government, my darling was but a tick in their tally of 6,300 casualties of Yolanda's wrath, just another body --- found in a submerged terra cotta-coloured house, robbed of life and washed away by the tide. To them, the fact that my Alex's chuckles were as gentle as a sea breeze doesn't matter as much as the fact that he perished being swept away by a force of 315 kilometres an hour. To me, though, he is the only one, the air in my lungs and he that powers my sails.


Oh right, he was. Two years on, I still can not fathom how the love of my life was snuffed out just like that, as if he were just a candle in the wind.


“Alex, darling, I miss you so much,” I manage to sputter out, puffing with every breath. “Please tell me you’re still with me. Give me a sign. Even one out of thin…..”


I gasp as suddenly, a polka-dotted umbrella the colour of a brilliant amethyst floats across the sky and lands on the marble slab above Alex’s body. From my vantage point, it looks as if invisible arms have caught it, as if an invisible summer breeze of a smile has formed in the air.



Perhaps, the winds of time haven’t erased anything, after all.


***

Tropical Cyclone Haiyan (Philippine name: Yolanda) is the second strongest landfalling tropical cyclone on record. Reaching wind speeds of up to 315 kph., the super typhoon entered the Philippines on 7 November 2013. It is the deadliest storm in Philippine history, killing around 6,300 people, as well as the costliest with damages totaling $2.98 billion.

March 03, 2024 11:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

115 comments

Trudy Jas
21:07 Mar 03, 2024

You are a typhoon to reckon with, Stella. A poignant story told eloquently - as usually. The repetition of the start of each paragraph worked. nice touch, the polka-dot umbrella. p.s. since you seem to read every single story that is published, each week, why not apply to be a judge? You can still leave comments.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:11 Mar 03, 2024

Oh wow ! Thank you so much, Trudy ! Yes, I sort of wanted to give those body paragraphs structure through repetition. And well, I actually happen to own a purple umbrella with dots on it. Not quite polka dots, though. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading this !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
21:17 May 13, 2024

Wow! I was surprised to learn that Yolanda was real. I had no idea! You have a true talent of using what you know and love to form these beautiful stories. But also, write them in a unique way that's both brilliant and creative! I truly enjoyed all the metaphors in this one! I love reading your stories because each and every one takes me on a new journey and I love the ride! Great job as always! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:27 May 14, 2024

Oh, Daniel ! First of all, I'm over the moon that you've been reading and commenting on my stories. Your support means the universe to me. I'm ecstatic that you like the style and find them creative. This particular story is very special to me. If I could pick one story from my catalogue thus far to peddle around as my favourite, it would be this. I loved writing about something that has affected so many lives in my country (including people I personally know). Yes, Yolanda is real. Yes, it's the second strongest tropical cyclone on record...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:00 May 16, 2024

I would honestly say that this story is probably my favorite from you. I always hate when natural disasters come so suddenly and have a devastating impact. The resiliency of the human heart is a hopeful reminder that nothing can keep us down and that hope never dies.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:06 May 16, 2024

Like I said, Daniel, I'm over the moon that you liked this one in particular because it's just so special to me. I'm glad you saw the heart in writing this piece. Indeed, it's a sombre experience seeing people perish in natural disasters like this (even in a country with a "typhoon season"), but I'm so happy you see the positive at the end. I love that !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:44 Apr 23, 2024

I love the imagery. I thought there was something strange about all those wind metaphors... But I couldn't have predicted that great twist! Well done. Love it. 😊

Reply

Alexis Araneta
21:08 Apr 23, 2024

Hi, Khadija ! Wow ! Thank you so much for reading and commenting on the story, one of the most special ones I've written. When the wind theme was announced, I knew I had to do this story. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
15:56 Mar 16, 2024

Beautiful writing. I love how you've steeped the whole piece in this theme of a tempest. Wind, breeze, salt, storms, waves, rain, sky, tornado, clouds. It's all very cohesive. Her sadness is a raincloud overhead, following her through the years and painting her life gray. Well done bringing to life the story and emotions of just one victim of this life-altering natural disaster.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:55 Mar 16, 2024

Thank you so much, Aeris ! Yes, I wanted to infuse as much imagery of storms as I could. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
22:21 Mar 15, 2024

With the wind theme I kept thinking did you mean the Typhoon?? and you did but it was so perfectly written as another woman - that was genius!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:05 Mar 15, 2024

Hahahaha ! Yes, exactly. That's what I was playing on. Thanks for reading, Martha ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristian Godin
18:01 Mar 14, 2024

Beautiful description of memories! Made me feel sadness and longing, so good job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:21 Mar 14, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristian! Glad it was able to love you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
12:59 Mar 14, 2024

Loved this story. Very well written with an excellent twist. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:21 Mar 14, 2024

Thank you so much, Linda !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corina P
11:29 Mar 14, 2024

this is an amazing story! I truly grasped from the plot that Yolanda was a hurricane or something similar (maybe because of hurricane Katrina!) Great work Stella, and amazing descriptions of personification and the five senses :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:36 Mar 14, 2024

Hi, Corina ! Yep, precisely that. I thought of making the twist that Yolanda is actually a hurricane because of the name. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jason Basaraba
01:32 Mar 14, 2024

You did a wonderful job with deflecting the true story within a story. Beautiful flow throughout this piece, I truly enjoyed reading this. I cannot wait to read more of your work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:52 Mar 14, 2024

Thank you so much, Jason. I'm glad you liked the twist.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
23:27 Mar 13, 2024

Fantastic story. Sad but fantastic! I read it twice, just because I liked it so much. Great twist. And thank you for the facts that followed.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:25 Mar 14, 2024

Oh my !! Thank you so much, Linda ! I'm very happy you liked it. Yes, unfortunately, there were plenty of real-life stories like this in the aftermath of Yolanda.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angelica Sophia
17:11 Mar 13, 2024

What a great twist - kind of literally too because it's a cyclone. Loved the story - thanks for sharing it with us!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:11 Mar 13, 2024

Hahahaha ! Great play on words ! Thank you so much, Angelica !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery Clark
16:39 Mar 13, 2024

OMG when I read this my mind was blown! It had so much detail and good vocabulary it was so good! Keep writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:09 Mar 13, 2024

Oh my !! Thank you so much ! I'm just very happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Maceira
16:24 Mar 13, 2024

I really enjoyed this story. As a Native New Yorker, I have experienced a few hurricanes. Nothing akin to what the Philippines has had to endure in its history, but I can understand the terror of being caught in something so uncontrollable. You capture this so well with the extended wind metaphor. There's a helplessness one feels when facing Mother Nature that you've managed to emulate in your character. Though, I do feel bad for any woman named Yolanda!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:08 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Michael. Indeed, it is terrifying sometimes to face nature's fury. As for the name, well, yes. A lot of women named Yolanda cringed when they found out a storm (especially, the deadliest one) was named after them. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery Clark
12:33 Mar 13, 2024

OMG when I read this I was in love!!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:35 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Avery. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
10:11 Mar 13, 2024

Excellent work!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:19 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you, Jim !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tammy Green
06:23 Mar 13, 2024

I loved it Stella! Dreams or memory stories are my favorite. The idea of naming a storm after a soap opera villain is a great idea! Way better than following a list of benign names each storm season.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:30 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Tammy ! When I saw the theme of that week, I knew what to write. The thing is...I didn't come up with the name Yolanda. That is the official name of the very real Tropical Cyclone Haiyan in the Philippines. Aria just comments that it's fitting because it sounds like a villain name (and it is in her life). Perhaps, I should have made that clearer. Thank you for reading. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.M. Maxim
23:45 Mar 12, 2024

Heartbreakingly beautiful - from someone who has truly tasted love and loss and is able to bring it to the page. Thank you Stella.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:32 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you so much, James ! I'm glad I was able to capture those emotions. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aly Jester
17:02 Mar 12, 2024

This was very well done. Perfect timing to reveal the twist in the story. Great use of the wind/weather metaphors. I love the idea of following a real historical event to create something beautiful and share a little piece of culture. My heart breaks over tragedies like Yolanda. Each individual life lost in the wind is a beautiful story to those lucky enough to have been a part of it. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading more from you.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:58 Mar 12, 2024

Thank you so much, Aly ! Like I said in other comments, writing about Yolanda came to me immediately when the theme was revealed. Indeed, seeing all those lives robbed like that is very heartbreaking. So happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dana W
22:34 Mar 11, 2024

Beautifully written. I love that you referenced the wind throughout the whole piece rather than just at the beginning. I enjoyed the way you personified Yolanda. Nicely done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:23 Mar 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Dana ! I realise I like choosing a central image for my stories and using that all over. Given this was Wind Week, it was a no brainer. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Dana W
02:27 Mar 12, 2024

I completely understand. I wove the wind throughout my story as well. I hope you get a chance to read it. Once again, well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
13:30 Mar 11, 2024

Great read Stella, your style shines through on this story. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:33 Mar 11, 2024

Thank you so much, John. Thank you for reading this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.