Making Waves (Spirits Pt. 1)

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

Making Waves

The sea refused to still. Waves lapped against the shore incessantly. Any boats on the horizon continued to bob up and down. Misty sat on the beach, but the waves never touched her. She didn’t let them, waving her hand so they stopped just short of her. Everything else she had ever known sat below those waves, completely unbothered by the storm above, but Misty liked the storm. She liked watching everything sway and change as the wind howled. She had always liked storms. Bay always said she was brought to the ocean during a ferocious one. Brought, not born. 

Soon, though, it was over. The sea stood still. The wind blew gently. The boats stopped bobbing. Everything was as it should be. Too soon, Misty thought. It’s always over too soon. She drew a circle in the sand. It was later in the afternoon, and with the storm, there weren’t many mortals left on the beach. She seemed to be the only one who enjoyed it. 

“Misty, you’ve spent enough time up here,” Bay scolded as his greying hair appeared above the water. Even from the shore, she could see the long coat flowing after him. When he disappeared, Misty sighed and followed Bay home. Transitioning from the land to the sea was always an interesting experience especially for Misty. She had the blood of both worlds flowing through her veins, but that didn’t make it any easier. In fact, it made it that much harder. She felt comfortable above and below the water. Every time she switched between them, she had to get used to her new surroundings all over again. 

Bay led the way, moving effortlessly through the water. Spirits such as them didn’t have tails as the mortals believed. They just glided through the water and commanded it to propel them along. Misty sighed as her self-made current pulled her toward Bay. She followed him until they reached the pink coral. They swam right past it. That’s when she realized home was in the other direction. 

“Bay, where are we going,” she asked. Either he didn’t hear her or he just ignored her. Both were common for Bay. He was the closest thing she had to a father, but he could be such a grouch sometimes. When she was younger and tried to sneak out, Bay would meet her by the coast with a scowl on his face. She wasn’t allowed to leave the cave they called home for weeks. After that, she never snuck out and only went to the coast with his permission. Once or twice, he walked along the beach with her, but pureblood water spirits could only be away from their element for so long. Misty’s real dad was a mortal living somewhere called Mitten Again. She wasn’t entirely sure where that was since this coast was all she had ever known. Water spirits rarely had contact with anyone outside of their particular body of water. A dreadful practice, really. 

Misty followed Bay toward the city where there were multiple caves for the spirits. Where is he going, she wondered and stopped. They rarely came to the city. Bay was one of the only scholars the Pacific Ocean had even though there were many cities scattered about. He spent every second he could away from the city so he could study without being bothered. Through the 16 years of him training Misty to be a scholar too, she could count on her fingers the number of times they had come to the city, and she’d lived with him her whole life. He must be crazy. 

“Bay,” she called, a little louder. Again, he either wasn’t paying attention or didn’t hear her. She had no choice but to follow him further into the city until they reached the Maelstrom. Barnacles, it was the most intimidating structure she had ever seen. First started a hundred years ago, the Maelstrom was made of growing coral. Multiple people were there to make sure the Council’s structure in the city continued to thrive in the form it was supposed to. Misty had never been inside. Only the council and their advisors actually drifted into the building. Yet, when Bay stopped for a split second, he gestured her to follow. What was going on? What did the Council want? Despite all those questions running through her head, Misty had no choice but to follow her guardian into the hall. Councilman Delmare greeted them as soon as they graced the chamber.

“Ah, Scholar Bay, you’ve—” 

“Save it,” Bay snapped. “Need I remind you this isn’t a social visit?” His voice echoed so easily through the water almost making everything shake. Misty gulped. Why am I here, she wanted to ask, but she held her tongue. 

“Bay is right, Delmare. We ought to get to the point of the matter. Scholar Apprentice Misty, please come forward,” Councilman Fen agreed from his throne. He was the oldest of the Council, she knew, having read it in one of Bay’s books. That made him seem like the kindest of the seven. Misty was only shaking a little when she floated in front of him. The Council watched her carefully from their coral thrones. They all wore blue robes that were customary for people with power. They stared down at her intently. 

“Scholar Apprentice Misty, you have been called today before the Council for a very important matter. You are being given an assignment,” he continued. An assignment, she thought. Only fully trained scholars get assignments. Misty had never seen Bay go on one, but he told her about them. Sometimes, scholars were sent abroad to get an accurate account of some of the other bodies. It was a job only given to the best and most qualified. There was no way that they were asking Misty. 

“With all due respect, Councilman Fen,” she began. 

“I’m afraid this isn’t up for discussion. You will leave tomorrow at noon,” he interrupted. “The Council is sending you to the Joined States to gather information about the mortals. It seems they are extending their borders once again.”

“Sir?” She was too nervous to tell him it was actually the United States. That and the fact that none of this made sense. 

“Haven’t you told her, Scholar Bay,” Councilman Nerissa questioned. Misty risked a glance back at her guardian. He looked defiant in front of the Council with his hard stare and trademark scowl. 

“All I’ve heard are rumors. There’s been no one to confirm them,” he replied. Councilman Fen sighed. 

“The mortals have been polluting the oceans, the earth, and the air for quite some time now,” he explained. “We need you to gather information about the mortals and the other spirits. Be ready tomorrow.” For a second, she just floated there, uncertain about what to do, until Bay pulled her along. He shot her a look that clearly said they would talk at home, but her head was still reeling. Why are they sending me? Is it because I can stay on land longer? She wasn’t sure. The Council had never shown interest in her before, and she’d never really heard anything about the mortals polluting the oceans. Sure, she’d seen a stray can once or twice, but it never really mattered. Those were either stashed somewhere the fish couldn’t get them or thrown back on the shore. Was the pollution worse in other places? Why hadn’t she heard anything about it?

“Bay,” she muttered, and he turned ever so slightly as to look at her and shake his head. Not now. It was another ten minutes before they reached their secluded cave. They drifted past the many books lining the walls until coming to Bay’s personal study. It was the other reason he had chosen that cave. It was the only one with an area above the water. Misty hauled herself up while Bay, having climbed up many times, did it with ease. He didn’t even show any of the usual side effects following a sudden transition. 

“Are you alright now,” he questioned. Misty nodded even though her lungs were still getting used to breathing in the actual air. Two land transitions in one day, she thought. That’s got to be a new record. 

“Good, you’ll need to pay attention to this,” Bay declared. “The Council was right about the pollution. It’s been getting worse lately. I’ve been getting letters from the other scholars, especially in the States. Given the current situation, I believe I know why the Council is sending you to there.”

“What is it then, Bay? Why are they sending me of all people?” His back was turned to her, but she could picture him rolling his eyes. It wasn’t that Misty didn’t know the reason. She just needed the confirmation. 

“Really, Misty? It’s because you can spend more time away from here than I can, but it’s more than that. They’ll need you to go all around the United States.” he huffed and paused. “I believe they mean to prepare for war. They’re not the only ones, either.” 

“What?!” she exclaimed. “That’s impossible they can’t declare war on the mortals. That—”

“Hasn’t been done for a millennium, I know, but these are special circumstances. The mortals’ actions are affecting everyone. What’s more, it seems the ignis have allied with them. It’s unacceptable.” Misty took a shaky breath, letting the salty air fill her lungs. Was it true? Was the Council really going to wage a war on the mortals? 

“They’ll want you to sway the other aquae, caeli, and terra. If you can get one on their side, you can get everyone,” he continued. 

“Do you think we need a war,” she whispered. Bay turned so she could see his piercing blue eyes. Misty shuddered under the glare. 

“No,” he said simply. “The question is, do you?” 

“I don’t know,” she muttered, sliding under the water. “I should go pack.” With that, she propelled herself to her quarters, an inlet. Aquae wore clothes, though they were much lighter than mortal garments, so those shouldn’t be a problem. At times when she walked along the coast, her clothes billowed restlessly in the wind. Misty resolved to buy new clothes once on land. There were probably a few gold pieces laying around. Bay said she could trade them in for money, and that sounded about right. 

Once noon came the next day, Misty was standing on the beach, looking out onto the sea. A storm was brewing. She could feel it in her bones, and she saw the clouds on the horizon. Whatever happened with the mortals and the other spirits was up to her. With one last glimpse at the waves, she walked into the city of angels. She knew that. The war was in her hands. The storm was in her hands, and for the first time in her life, she hoped that storm would never come. 

March 05, 2021 23:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.