1 comment

General

Jackie had been working in the accounting room at Walmart, she had heard the weather reports earlier that day about getting three to six inches of snow through the night, it did not alarm her. Her Jeep Wrangler was road worthy and had brand-new all-weather tires put on. Although Walmart had closed earlier this even to keep accidents from happening there was still many employees cleaning stocking and doing inventory. Jackie still was trying to find where the accounts did not match to balance the books.

The work Jackie was doing was tedious the amounts should have been rectified on the Excel Charts but something was missing and she wanted to make sure that the balances were done as it was Sunday night, so that everything would be worked out for the start of the week Monday morning tomorrow. The count was off by $78.00 dollars. To her although it was less that a 100.00 it was very bothersome. Also, if this continued in could be into the hundreds in a few months. Jackie was afraid somebody was embezzling from her company. As store manager she had to find out where the discrepancy was.

The ledgers had shown that error was in accounts receivable. Jackie started going through all the register tapes, however there was still a deficit of $78.00. From time to time she would look at the video monitors for the store which was used for loss prevention to see who was still in the store. Finally, she had the answer she was found out the receipts on the returns were not presented properly. Jackie decided to take a short walk of the offices before she would begin to post the refunds. It gave her a clear view of all the departments in the store and the entire parking lot.

The store and the parking lot were entirely empty.

Feeling very anxious Jackie decided she would leave. She already knew what the problem was and would finish it in the morning. Looking at the not plowed areas of the parking lot there was already 11 inches of snow five more that expected and it was still snowing with near white out conditions. Jackie decided before she left to do a walk-through of the store to look at areas that might be less conspicuous in the store and the rest rooms.

Upon entering the woman’s bathroom, Jackie was shocked to find a baby left all alone in the bathroom after everyone was gone. Jackie thought who could have the heart to do this. The little girl is so Angelic as she moved closer to her. The infant seemed to be around three months old, and was sleeping comfortably in a carrier. The carrier was padded both in its removable cushion and two receiving blankets. There also was a small tote with a zipper that held it together but did not hold the child’s name in it, and that her mother wanted to take her to a safe-haven box in the local hospital but unfortunately, she did not think with the storm that her and the baby would not make it.

So, the only thing the mother could do was leave the child in the store hoping that someone would find her soon. There was a half a dozen new born disposable diapers, four jars of baby food. Powder baby formula in bottles you just needed to add water. There were also two changes of clothes, a set of play keys, and a pacifier.

Jackie gently spoke to the little infant and unlatched her from her carrier. “I am going to get you some help but until I can, I will hold you and assure that everything would be okay. I am also going to call you Angel, since you are so Angelic looking.”

Jackie had tried to call 911 on her cell phone but the tower was out. All the lines were also out for the stores land-line phones also. With the exception of tripping the alarm for the store the and putting first responders in danger Jackie decided she would wait with Angel in the store until conditions improved. Jackie was very happy to spend time with Angel she had no children of her own and it was a pleasant situation for her. She had fed Angel, sang to her changed her, Jackie and Angel did not mind that they were stranded in the store. They were not alone thy had each other’s company, the time had passed quickly for Jackie, she enjoyed coddling Angel although she was not a mother herself.

Her husband Michael was sterile due to having mumps at 14 years old and being diabetic. Jackie and Michael were very much a happy couple,the only thing that was missing was to have a child on of their own to care for and love. Mothering the little girl came so easy to Jackie. She wondered what will happen to her of where she will be placed when the proper authorities could be consulted. All Jackie knew was at this moment, she could hold her, as the baby made faint cooing happy sounds, which made Jackie very happy.

Six hours later phone service was restored. Jackie called 911 to report on finding the infant. The dispatcher asked if the child was okay and needed anything, Jackie replied no everything is covered and I am a manager at Walmart, we are good. The dispatcher also asked because of conditions when Jackie went home could she keep her for a while. Jackie exclaimed yes; I will even get a car seat from the store as the child only had a carrier. I will get other supplies she would need please take your time making arrangements.

Jackie then called her husband Michael and explained every thing that happened at work. He was skeptical about bringing the infant home, although considering all the conditions with the storm and the baby’s abandonment it was the best thing Jackie and Michael could do at the time and the for the infant.

When the roads could be traveled Jackie’s husband Michael came to the store. They took some clothes, diapers, food, toys, blankets, and a small crib. These items would-be put-on Jackie’s Capitol One Credit Card.Until the child was placed, she would stay with Jackie and Michael and would need these things. When Michael seen the infants face, he also was smitten with love for the child. Three days latter children’s services were called about the abandoned baby. The dispatcher at 911 relayed that if they could keep the infant awhile to if it would please them to do so. Jackie and Michael were ecstatic as they waited for a case worker from child services, one was sent to their home a few days later.

The caseworker whose name was Ginger visited their home and seen how well kept the home and the child were. Jackie again, stated how she found the baby abandoned at the rest room at work. Jackie showed Ginger the accompanying the note.

Ginger asked Jackie and Michael if they wanted to be emergency foster parents, gladly they replied yes. Ginger opened her laptop and went through all the evaluation questions, income, did a background criminal report the immediate one a full one would be checked later. The initial evaluation came up that they were eligible to be emergency foster parents. They told Ginger they had not children of their own although they were married for five years.

Twelve months went by and there had been no one to claim Angel, since she was found. The child was still in Jackie’s and Michael's care. A lawyer was hired for family court to start an adoption for Angel. The judge did grant Jackie and Michael as adoptive parents especially since the children’s welfare advocate, advocated they had taken care of Angel for a year and that the little girl knew them by now and was very happy.They proceeded to go home feeling complete and blessed. Singing children’s song to their blizzard baby bundle of joy. They also thanked God for making them complete.

July 31, 2020 01:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kat Gruszka
22:32 Aug 05, 2020

Hey there!! Cute story with lots of specific details. The only pieces that made it a little tricky were the spelling errors and there were a couple of sentences that were difficult to read. But keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.