0 comments

Contemporary Christian Fiction

Get Out More. That's it, my big challenge, yet of all the fabulous awe-inspiring New Year's resolutions out there, this one paled in comparison. I mean, the effort required to achieve it would be as easy as stepping out of my house and well, getting out! That however wasn't so, and it hadn't been for years now.

I cannot remember the exact day or time I became shut out from the rest of the world but I remember the events that lead to it.

Being the country bumkin that I inevitably was, the excitement that came with moving to a new city was unbridled. I had just landed an editorial position in a small publishing company and I was ready to take on the world.

My adventure started the minute I walked off that airplane and took in the city. The skyscrapers, subway, and the hustle and bustle of the everyday city dweller had me excited like a kid on Christmas morning. My go-getter drive was such that the garbage, exhaust, and all the other arrays of scents that came with the new city, to me, smelled like opportunity.

The day I waltzed into the imposing building where the publishing company was centered was straight out of dreamville. I was fulfilling my dream and I couldn't wait to dive into the manuscripts and help an aspiring author realize theirs. My sister, who had secured herself a place in the New York fashion scene, ensured I fit right in by lining my closet with an assortment of Kim Kardashian inspired outfits.

I was eager to please and so I did. It didn't take long before the boss noticed the effort and soon I was his go-to editor. Elated to be his new favorite, as my friend Joan called me, I forged on, eagerly presenting him with ideas of how to best improve those stories I believed had potential. He listened, cheered me on, and even applied some of them in his final decisions. I had been so in my head that I didn't stop to ask why my ideas were trumping over those of more experienced editors.

A while into it, an email popped up in my inbox. It was unsigned and the email address wasn't familiar. It was a warning to tread lightly and be wary of those around me. I replied asking who the sender was and what they meant but that was the end of that conversation, I never heard from them again.

A week later, I found myself handling more manuscripts than usual, the boss was in a mood, and in order to deliver as required, I started working late, coming in earlier and even working over the weekends. My social life with my new co-workers took a beating for my constant absence but I didn't mind much, I got to appease the boss's mood and that was my driving force.

The day, I believe, that turned me into a hermit was a rainy Saturday morning. I was running late on an assignment and I only had a few t's to cross and i's to dot before submitting it. I came into the office, raincoat in one hand and a dripping umbrella in the other. The security guard, who by now had been used to my Saturday appearance had been kind to turn on the heat before I even arrived. I settled in my chair and was deep in editor mode a few minutes later.

I remember my excitement as I finished the story and hit send. I leaned back in my seat, a sigh escaping my lips for having dodged the boss's wrath if I sent that thing even one minute late. I had hardly sucked the air back in after my satisfactory exhale when my phone started vibrating, the words "the boss" flashing on the screen.

My heart rate picked up. I checked the time on the bottom corner of my pc and then slid my finger across my phone's screen after establishing that I had in fact submitted it on time.

"Hello."

"Hello, Julia!" Said his accented voice.

"Hello, sir."

"Where are you, why aren't you here?"

"I'm in the office. Just finished, and sent the Stephan manuscript."

"Oh, dear, youu work soo h-hard." He slurred! Yes, slurred at 11am in the morning, granted it was a Saturday, but still. "You need to join us, I mean everyone else is here, you need to be here too."

"Join you where? Who's everyone?"

"Everyone from the o-office, we are at my house for my b-birthday party. I always throw a big b-bash on the weekend of my birthday. Everyone's invited, I'll ask Nina to add your n-name to the list so you can join us next time. But you could s-still come over, there is plenty to do yet, we are having b-brunch now."

"There was a party last night and this morning too?"

"Of course, everyone slept over, I've got p-plenty of room. Benefits of having your own publishing c-company."

"I can imagine." I thought back to a corporate event that had been held in his monstrosity of a house a couple of months back. Not only was his publishing company doing really well, but according to Jean - the office gossip - the man's family was the very definition of old money.

"Do come over, we'll be waiting!"

“I’ll be right over.”

“Good!” He then hung up.

I sat back and wondered why I hadn’t known about the party, I mean, everyone ought to have been talking about it all week especially if it was something they did every year. Having no one to explain the dilemma, I turned off my computer, got to my feet, grabbed my things, and was hailing a cab by the roadside in a few minutes.

The drive to his house was swift thanks to the lack of traffic. Soon we were pulling into his massive compound, the imposing gates just as grand as they had been the first time I had laid my eyes on them.

A butler led me into the massive home to where the rest of the team was. Some applauded my arrival, others waved while a few hardly noticed my entrance. I sat next to Jean and eves dropped on the office gossip she was eagerly relying on Nick, the copy guy. Food and drinks flowed. A dance floor was formed and soon I was starting to feel lighter and found myself enjoying the interactions and the music more. That, however, is all I remember of the events that happened that morning.

The next thing I remember is waking up and finding myself lying on a huge four-poster bed. The room was dark and quiet. I lifted my head off the pillow and groaned from the pain that shot through my temples. Taking a few breaths, I turned and scanned the room using the glow of the slightly parted curtains. I spotted a bedside lamp, pulled myself towards it, and flicked on the light. I instantly recognized the room as one of my boss’s guest rooms which had served as the coat area during the corporate event.

The room was massive, the purple walls matched the silk sheets beneath me. I remember thinking the deep purple an odd color for décor. I sat up, ignoring the grogginess of my limbs. After another scan around the room, I noticed my handbag on the study table across the room. I leaped off the bed and paused when I felt a slight discomfort between my legs. I looked down and saw that my jeans were still on and after a quick peek, so was my underwear. I shimmied my hips and feeling nothing more, I dismissed the foreboding fear and grabbed my handbag.

I dug into it and pulled out my phone. 9:17 PM the screen read. I wracked my mind as to how I may have ended up in this room safely tucked under the covers. Nothing came to me and so I slung the bag on my shoulder and walked out the door. The corridors were dimly lit and as I was headed for the staircase, I run into one of the housemaids who seemed surprised that I was still there. I quickly explained that I had fallen asleep and she organized for one of the drivers to take me home seeing as everyone else had already left the party.

Come Monday morning I was still battling a hungover that just wouldn't quit. I didn't understand what kind lasted over twenty-four hours but here I was, surviving through a constant drumbeat between my ears. As if I wasn't suffering enough, everyone seemed overly interested in my very existence. There were looks, whispers, and sniggers all of which seemed to have me as their main subject. Not understanding why I was suddenly popular, I went to the most reliable source for a quick update.

“Oh honey, you were all over the boss on Saturday!” Said Jean.

“Excuse me?” My skin flamed, the accusation grating against my very being.

“Yeah! You were all touchy and grabby with each other, we had to leave y’all alone in the lounge room, because don’t nobody want to see that," she rolled her eyes, "When we came back later, y’all were gone. We figured that bodyguard of his took you home or something. This wouldn’t be the first time the boss got himself into trouble, drinking too much and frolicking with the wrong people.” She smacked her gum and turned to her computer as if the news she’d just delivered was inconsequential.

My world imploded. Suddenly feeling a little faint, I grabbed onto her desk to keep from tumbling from the force of the chaos running through me. I knew something was wrong the moment I jumped from the purple bed. I had felt it but the fact that I was still fully clothed made me think that I was just fine. I couldn’t think straight, who could…why?

The next realization hit me so hard that I grabbed a seat from the next cubicle and dropped myself on it. The incident had been over a day ago and I had taken two showers and a bath already and so any evidence of any wrongdoing most definitely had washed away by now.

“Julia?” I forced myself to look up at Jean who was now standing watching me, “Did something happen? Honey, you look pale.”

“No, nothing." I inhaled, summoned all my strength, pulled myself up, and turned to leave only to catch a couple more sniggers and sly looks on the way to my desk.

The weeks that followed were nothing short of a nightmare.

My fears were confirmed when out of nowhere the boss started giving his high-priority assignments to the junior editor who had been in the office only a couple of weeks.

As if that blow wasn’t disconcerting enough, several trips to the bathroom and several painful short call encounters had me make a trip to my Gynecologist. She apologetically relayed that I had in fact contracted a disturbing case of Chlamydia.

I sued my boss and after an unbelievably short investigation, the case was thrown out. Lack of evidence was the reason and soon I couldn't find work anywhere else. I had underestimated just how much reach old money like his could go.

Too proud to admit my failure in the big city just like some family members back home had predicted, I stayed and found other means of employment.

I settled to using my editorial skills in freelance websites and before long, I was being sought out and getting paid more than my office job had been. I officially launched an Editorial agency and made sure to hire freelancers only and so my work from home lifestyle commenced.

Working from home seemed like a dream at first, I didn’t have to face anyone and spent my time communicating with clients via email and chats. I got all my food delivered and only went out once a week for regular supplies and to do my dry cleaning. I realized that while my new found lifestyle kept me away from wolves in sheep’s clothing, it also was breeding unhealthy habits.  

Around the second year, I made the decision to try what my sister was always encouraging me to do and that was to socialize a bit more. I tried it all, online dating, a walk in the park, small talk with my neighbor, I even considered adopting a pet all so I could at least make the daily pet walks mandatory.

Online dating was too nerve-wracking. I walked out of the restaurant as soon as I saw the gentleman dressed in a white jacket holding a yellow rose just like he had said he would.

The walk in the park was filled with nervous glances every which way. It seemed like everyone in that park was looking at or whispering about me. I fled the scene five minutes after I got there and even had a hard time leaving the house to go on my usual supply run the next day.

The pet Idea evaporated as soon as it had formed itself in my mind. How was I to take care of another life when I was clearly not even able to take care of myself?

All this changed a few days after the new year. As usual, the resolution was there, and just like the year before, it had settled at the bottom of the list wondering if this would be its debut year.

I was out on my usual supply routine eager to get my chores done so I could get back to the apartment. I walked into the quiet laundromat and while preparing to haul the clothes into the machine, someone put their hand on my shoulder. I pulled out my earphones and turned expecting to find Mr. Bowman, the laundromat owner – who was usually the only one around on a Monday morning, only to find a young gentleman smiling back at me.

“Hi,” he said.

“Hi.”

“I’m sorry, that machine is broken. Kindly use the net one.”

“Oh, I didn’t see a sign on it or somethi…” I trailed seeing the sign he was now holding up, a kind smile gracing his features.

“I was just coming to put it up.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll move.”

“I’m Jake, Mr. Bowman's nephew, he told me to expect a young lady around this time.”

“Oh, I’m Julia. Nice to meet you.”

“Pleasure is all mine, Julia. So, what are you listening to?”

“Oh, uhm…this guy called Cory Asbury.”

“Nice. Deep stuff.”

“Yeah, you know him?”

“Just downloaded his ‘To Love a Fool’ album, can’t wait to get started.”

“Awesome, I’ve never met anyone who listens to his stuff, yeah maybe one or two singles but not the whole thing.”

“Me neither. He speaks from the heart and at times it feels like he’s speaking from my heart!”

He chuckled and I joined in.

Socializing. I missed it. I had been so afraid of getting taken advantage of once more that I had let a part of me die. Yet, right at that moment, laughing with a complete stranger, I wished I could experience it more.

“What other kinds of music do you listen to?” He pinned the "Out of Order" sign on the broken machine’s door, then walked over to the next one and opened it.

“The same genre,” I moved over and started putting my clothes in the drum of the next machine. “I’m into Maverick City Music too, their worship is unbridled and that gets me in the right mood any day.

“You have good taste. I just discovered Brandon Lake and only finished his latest album. The guy’s anointed.”

“I know what you mean. I haven’t listened to his whole album yet. Something to look forward to.” I finished pilling my clothes into the machine and after pouring the soap and detergent, I shut the door and turned the knobs to the right temperature then pressed 'go'.

“Wanna listen a bit while you wait? I mean, the Cory album.” He lifted his phone and waved it, an expectant glimmer in his eyes.

“Sure, why not?”

That was how it started, my fulfillment of a long-standing resolution. Soon, I was looking forward to doing my laundry, and the day he suggested that we hang out anywhere but the laundromat, I took the leap and accepted. This time around, I kept my word and showed up for the date.

January 08, 2021 08:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.