Special

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about transformation.... view prompt

0 comments

General

A few people gazed curiously at the funky-looking girl with bright yellow hair. Unknowing of others, she was laughing with carefree exuberance as she got off the roller coaster.


“Mom, that was so much fun!” Anna exclaimed, wanting to get on it again. 


“Yeah? You sure didn’t think that in the middle of the ride, your hair was completely black with fear.” Benjamin, her brother, said. 


“You’re one to talk, Mr. Squealy Pants.” She retorted childishly, but there was a hint of underlying apprehension in her tone. Had her hair turned black? She fidgeted and scanned her surroundings, clearly on edge. 


Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! How could I have let go of my carefully reined emotions? Anna mentally scolded herself. 


“Anna, relax,” Benjamin warned, his eyes on her now slowly greying hair. 


Anna realized that she had almost made the same mistake again. She took a deep breath and concentrated on maintaining herself. 


“There’s no point in overthinking. Just be careful from now on.” Benjamin said. “Anyways, I think I was the only one who noticed; no one else would on that speedy roller coaster.” 


Anna nodded. I have been practicing control for years. I can do it. This is my day out; my chance to have free and easy fun like a normal thirteen-year-old. Stop doubting and have fun. You got it! She told herself. 


Feeling lighter after her silent pep talk, Anna followed her mother and Benjamin to the next ride, now unaware and unconcerned of those around her. 

 


Waiting in the line to get into the Ferris wheel, a boy kept staring at the girl with yellow hair.  


He frowned to himself, his brows furrowed. If he didn’t know any better, he could've sworn that the girl had somehow magically changed her hair color. He convinced himself that nothing unusual had happened. Shaking his head to rid all thoughts of the girl, he proceeded in the queue.  

 


Anna rolled her eyes at her brother as he carefully examined the lemonade drinks and handed her the one that had less. As she slowly sipped on it, she closed her eyes and focused her mind, practicing VIBGYOR. Violet. Indigo. Blue. Green. Yellow. Orange. Red.  


Red. A google search will tell you Red is the color of love, passion, power, and danger. To Anna, it will always signify one thing: the beginning. 


Seven Years Ago


“But Mom, Benny started it!” Anna stomped her foot in a petulant manner. 


“Alright, sweetie.” Her mother said in a way that suggested that she didn’t quite believe her, but was unwilling to look further into the matter. “Now, go to bed like a good little girl.” 


Anna stomped off, clearly unsatisfied with her response to what she believed to be an urgent matter of justice. 


When she opened the door to her room, she saw that Benjamin was lying on her bed. 


“What are you doing here? Go to your room!” Anna said, still upset at him for spraying her with water from the garden hose and ruining her new dress. 


“Grow up Annalisa. It’s just a dress; it’ll dry.” He smirked, enjoying the prominent fury in her face as a result of him calling her by her full name. “And you emptied the whole bucket on me. That was worse than what I did.” 


“Only because you deserved it, Benji.” She emphasized the last word, knowing he despised being called Benji much more than she detested being called Annalisa, or Lisa for that matter. 


“Stop being such a cry baby, Lisa.” 


“I’m not a cry baby!” She snapped, her fury reaching to new levels. 


Benjamin’s teasing smirk disappeared when his jaw dropped, unable to comprehend such an absurd sight. 


“Anna - your – your hair!” He stuttered, his eyes wide in alarm. 


Anna furrowed her brows, not aware of what had her brother so horrified. 


“What?” Is this a prank? She wondered, lightly bringing her hand to touch her hair. 


“It’s red!”  


Still wondering if her brother was about to burst out laughing any second now, she reluctantly turned to face the mirror. 


A gasp flew from Anna’s open mouth, but she didn’t notice; she was too preoccupied taking in her appearance. Her hair was a fiery red, complimented by her rosy cheeks. It was usual for Anna’s face to turn red when she was angry or embarrassed, but her hair! 


As shock took over and she forgot her anger, both Benjamin and Anna watched with bewilderment as her hair went back to its natural honey brown color. 


“What was that?” Benjamin spoke softly in dismay.  


Anna shook her head, dumbfounded, and unable to speak. 


“Benjamin, Annalisa, it’s past your bedtime. Now go to sleep.” Their mother spoke sternly from the other side of the room. 


Neither Benjamin nor Annalisa had heard her come in, both engrossed in the miracle that just took place. 


Benjamin silently went to his room, but Anna stood transfixed, staring at her hair. That night, sleep did not come to either of the siblings. 

 


Anna tried not to think of what she referred to as the Red Day in her mind. She was struggling to call it a bad hair day and move on.  


Nothing appeared out of the ordinary when Annalisa and Benjamin were quarreling a few days after the Red Day.  


“You’re gross, Benji!” Anna riled up her brother. 


“At least I’m not a freak!” He retorted.  


Tears welled up in Anna’s eyes. She turned her face to hide them, and to hide how she truly felt. 


“I’m sorry.” Benny wrapped his arms around his little sister, wishing he could take back his words. Benny had made her cry many times, but he never felt ashamed before. He knew this time he had actually hurt her. 


Anna wanted to tell him to go away, but she didn’t. She loved her brother and needed him, especially now more than ever before. He was the only one who knew. He was the only one she felt she could trust. 


“I know you’re scared, Annie; I am scared too. But it’s okay. It will be.” Benny tried to soothe her. 


“B - but how?” She sniffled. “Maybe you’re right, Benny. Maybe I am a freak.” 


“No, don’t say that. I didn’t mean it. And I know it's not true.” He felt guilty for being the reason his sister doubted herself. 


“Then what am I if not a freak?” She seemed angry now, but at whom her anger was directed was unknown.  


“Maybe you're just special.” 

May 25, 2020 08:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.