1 comment

LGBTQ+ Friendship Romance

That night

My friend Conan was going to a party. He was the type of person who was open and free and would do what he wanted. God how I wished I was like him. I’m practically the opposite of him. I’m a self-conscious girl who would rather stay home and read curled up in a blanket than go out and party but somehow, we make it work. I mean he brings out the best in me and if it’s just us to I feel free to be me and that is such a nice feeling. But tonight, me and him were sat on my bed listening to girl in red as usual when he says that I should come with him to a party his boyfriend, Magnus was holding. Whilst stuttering I said, “I-I-I- couldn’t I mean I wouldn’t even know what to wear and like you’re the only person I’d know there and what if you left me or-”

 He grabbed my hands and interrupted me by saying “One I would never leave you and two you never come to any parties with me so please can you come please.” I shook my head determined not to go. It was to out of my comfort zone and I was not ready to take such a large leap as that yet. He continued to plead with me by saying things like come on I promise you that you will love it and pwitttyy pweeessseee. 

After a while I got so fed up with it that I said “Fine I will go but only if you stop!”

 “YAY” he shouted whilst smiling excitement showing on his face. “Now what party clothes do you own.” He said whilst looking through my wardrobe.

“Ummm Just this outfit my mum bought me but I’ve never warn it.” I answered hesitantly.

Conan picked it up and smiled “Ohh hunny this is perfect.” It was a black leather crop top that zipped up at the front with a silver rim with a matching mini skirt that was tight around the mid-thigh but not too tight to not be able to walk comfortably.  

Instantly I said “I don’t think this one is right for me.”. I got up quickly and walked over to the wardrobe. Once I saw them, I picked up some blue mum jeans and a mint blue knit sweater. Conan shook his head and took the clothes and put them back. Finally, I said that I would were his outfit but only if I could wear my white doc martins with it. He complied. 

A few hours later, me and Conan were getting ready. He was dressed in leather trousers that were red and a white t-shirt. I was dressed in my outfit and sat on my chair in front of the vanity cabinet. Conan was curling my dirty blond hair and putting it into a high pony tail. He also added holographic glitter. His hair was brown with red tips. My eyes were shut because he didn’t want me to know what I looked like until the big reveal. After he finished my hair, he turned my chair round so I was facing him and did my make up. I had red lipstick on, mascara and glitter under my eyes. When I opened my eyes, I went over to the full-length mirror and was shocked at who was looking back at me. I loved how I looked but I still wasn’t ready to go out and see other people like this. Conan had matching glitter to me on. I smiled as I saw he had a large grin on as well. I turned around to face him as I said “I love it but I’m not ready to see other people dressed like this.” I could see a look of hurt flash across his face but he quickly changed it to a smile and said “Fine but if you don’t go, I won’t so were both staying home yeah that’s fine by me.” Once I saw how much this hurt him, I said “No, lets go.” He agreed and we went to leave.

As I went downstairs, my mum asked me where we were going and I told her that we were going to Magus’s party. She answered saying to just be careful and not go to crazy at it. I nodded my head and we said goodbye whilst walking out of the door. 

As we got to the house, I could hear the music blasting and the coulered lights shining out of the windows. I still wasn’t sure I wanted to go in there. We gradually got closer and closer to the house and my nerves were setting in. In despite of that we continued walking. We reached the door and Conan grabbed the door-knocker which was golden. After a few moments, Magnus came to the door with a drink in hand. He smiled as he instantly new who it was. Then he said, “Wow Elanor. You really do scrub up well.” Whilst nervously tucking a loose hair behind my ear, I replied “Thanks. It was all Conan really.” He smirked as he said “I imagine it was as I can’t imagine you chose that outfit yourself but the shoes, I swear I have seen you wear them before.” “Yes,” I replied, “There mine. Why do they look bad?” He quickly answered with, “No hunny its because I presume if he chose them, you would be wearing heels right now.”

He gestured for us to enter as he grabbed onto Conan’s jacket. Then Magnus gestured for this girl to come over. She was the hottest girl I had ever seen. It was like that scene in a movie where everything goes slow-motioned and all you can see is her. Her ginger curls were parted at the side and some were covering her face. She was wearing very short black denim shorts that had tears in them and a crop top with the words baby girl written in red on it. She had red lipstick that was the same colour as the words on her shirt. She was so beautiful. My mouth hung slightly open as my breathing became slightly jagged. As soon as Magnus saw this, he said “This is Ivory. She’ll look after you whilst me and Conan go hang out, if that’s okay.” I looked over at Conan as if to confirm this. He realized and him and Magnus left leaving me and Ivory to ourselves.

She smiled at me a mesmerising smile as she said, “So you must be Elanor right.” “Yes.” I replied back. Then she continued by saying, “Do you wanna come to the living room, were doing karaoke tonight.” “I answered yes and she took my hand and took me through. As I looked around, I saw a stage at the front set up with a microphone. Also, there was some flashing lights and the lyrics were set up on the tv facing the stage. There was a guy and girl singing seventeen from Heathers: the musical and they were actually really good at it. Then Ivory said “Can you sing?” I knew I could but I was nervous so I said, “I-I-I mean I dabble a little like-” She said “Go on I’ll be watching.” Whilst I was smiling, I said “Fine. If you insist. What’s your favourite song.” She replied with “Ummm. It’s kind of embarrassing but its little miss perfect.” Then I said “Don’t be embarrassed. I love that song.” I went over to the DJ and then I  asked for that song to be played. He agreed. I got up on the stage, I could feel my nerves kicking in as I saw all the faces looking at me. I coughed and then nodded at the DJ as if telling him to start the track and he understood so he did. As the music came on, I just felt all of those nerves leave my body and I started to sing. It was as if all those troubles just upped and walked away. Then I looked over to her. The girl that hit a different spot to me, the one that felt different. I think she was the one. After I had finished, I was getting given a round of applause but I ignored the others as I walked towards her. It was as if everyone else faded away and there was only us two left in the room. I quickened my pace and once I got up to her, I stopped our faces only inches away from each. She smiled as she brought her face down and connected our lips, them joining in perfect harmony. Fireworks were soaring through my mind. I feel everyone staring and when me and Ivory parted I could here Magnus and Conan whooping and piece of me that felt missing for a long time had just filled itself up.

May 10, 2021 19:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Leila Jenkins
20:33 May 17, 2021

wow, I wasn't expecting that ending! There were a small number of misspellings to adress but other than that, the story was great and each part was connected, flowing to the next part smoothly, great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.