5 comments

General

Moving into the new neighborhood was nothing new to me due to my job. This new place was sparsely populated and less it was I think since my childhood a long time since I've stayed at someplace like this. The broker had found me a nice fully furnished house for me and I think he might have siphoned off some extra money from me but the extra money was worth the location and house he provided.


The house is painted white and has a small wooden fence and also has a small lawn. The lawn was maintained well and the calmness in the area sparked an idea into me. Previously I was staying in an apartment and had a few plants in the balcony but this was a good opportunity for me to start setting a small garden and bring out that touch with plants that I had lost since my father's demise. In the vicinity, I could see only two houses, one on the left to my new house and another a little far to the opposite right.


As I always traveled quite often due to my work, the luggage which I have is limited to a bag full of dresses and a small rack of shoes and always have two or three small plants. I was raised by a single father and I was the only child. My mother passed away when I was around 2years old. Theirs was a love marriage and that was the main reason he never remarried, my mom was always in his heart and no one else could replace that. The stories my dad used to tell about his love instilled that thought in me to find love only one person for a lifetime. I always looked out for that girl whom my dad had found in his life. But all my dreams were shattered a few months back when I coughed up blood and the doctor after a few tests told me that I’m at the final stage of Leukemia. I was broken at first but I thought I’ve no one and why to leave leave sad. I thought let me enjoy the last times of my life being happy.


I was basically an introvert but the sequences in my life turned me into an extrovert. I started meeting people, making new friendships. I just jumped into conversations with random people.

This new neighborhood is nice and I met the old lady on the opposite side of the lane while going to get the grocery. Mrs. Smith is a lady in her late 60’s and she’s very friendly. She told me all about the neighborhood and even mentioned that there is a greenhouse nearby where I can get fresh veggies. She is living alone and sometimes her children come to visit. While speaking to her I came to know that the house beside mine is to be demolished in around a month due to some reasons and she feels very sorry for the owner. In these two days, I did not find anyone in the neighboring house, but had lots of work and forgot about that. Maybe because of moving into a new house and all the work I was really tired and slept early.


I have a habit of walking after dinner and today my dinner was made late. While walking in the lawn casually when I looked at the neighboring house I saw a beautiful lady sitting on the chair in the lawn. The light from the lamp above her was showing her face clearly to me. Wow…really wow, I have never seen a more beautiful girl than her. Her dark blonde hair just fell over her eyebrows and it was then I observed that her eyes were welled up. For a second I thought its better not interfere but I couldn’t withstand someone being sad around me, so I built up some courage went near the fence and called her out.


Me: “Excuse me, not that I’m intruding into your private space but felt that you are looking sad, and is

        it fine if I ask you what the reason might be?”

She: “No problem, everything’s fine but I feel nice that in today's busy world someone is caring       

        about others “

Me: “May I know your name”

She: “My name is Anne Mary, you can call me Anne, and as you might have heard that this house is to

         be demolished soon and that’s what is concerning me”

Me: “Aah yes, I too heard about that, really sorry for that. Why is the house getting demolished?”

Anne: “Oh leave that, that is really a long story, but definitely I’ll tell you soon. Hope you are going to

           stay around”

Me: “Yes, I’ll be staying here until my company decides to transfer me to some new place. There is

        no hurry, we can talk later too regarding that”

I thought its better to not force someone to tell something, as it might be pushing them away and I really felt a tug in my heart towards her, so pushing her away was not a choice I want to make.


Me: “I haven’t seen you from these many days, even though I moved in 5days back”

Anne: “I’ve to do two jobs to close too many debts”

Me: “Sorry to hear that at a young age you are running to close debts. If you need any help you can

         Just ask me”

Anne: “Oh, sure. You really look like a good person and I have seen less of that kind”

Anne: “Ok, then good night.”


I wanted to talk more to her but I think that’s all for today.

After two days when I was in my balcony, I saw in her in hers. I waved a hi and she waved back. I was so much happy that she responded. She came towards my side and


Anne: “Hi, How are you?, Have you been busy”

Me: “Nothing like that, just usual work but as I shifted to this new office here, getting used to the culture here”

Then she asked about how the new place is and she too started talking about herself.

It's after a few conversations that I came to know that her mother died due to cancer and for that reason, she needs to pay huge debts. I felt sorry for and remembered what Mrs. Smith had told me about feeling sorry for the owner. We both were getting closer after each conversation and I waited eagerly daily night for that conversation.


I came to know that her favorite color is white, she loved chocolates, she loved going to beaches and surfing. Sometimes she felt like a small child while talking to me when she told me that building sandcastles and wearing fairy dresses were her likes. She too was knowing me well and we both were completing each other’s sentences.


Days were going on and our talks from the balconies were becoming longer into the nights and waiting in the balcony in the night was becoming a routine in my life. A routine for which I could move all my work aside. After around maybe 18 days of meeting her one night I spoke my heart to her.


Me: “Hi Anne, I would like to talk something important to you.”

Anne:” Yes Tom you can talk anything to me. Why are you hesitating today”

Me:” It might be boring for you so just a warning in advance and also don’t be offended. In case you

       You want to say something, just say it out”

Anne: “That’s for sure if I get offended I can even shout at you. I hope I’m as close to you as you are

 to me”

Me: “My parents were in love till they passed away, even though my mom died years ago their love

           never. I too hoped of finding someone who is going to stay with me for a lifetime. And I think ‘  I found that person. I feel that it's you. We talk daily here from the balconies but never have met

outside. But you know me and I know you more than the world knows about us.

I just want to say that I love you and want you by my side till eternity.”

Anne just smiled and looked side-wise and back and I could clearly see her eyes sparkling. I could feel her saying that she too loves me.

She looked at me and told “I’ve never told this to anyone, but in my life, everyone has just looked at me with pity due to my conditions. Some helped me out of pity and some wanted to take advantage of me as I’m a helpless girl. But you are the only one who has spoken to me out of love. You began talking to me like a stranger and then became a friend. Now you have become someone more than a friend, and at this moment I feel you are the one with whom I want to spend until eternity. I too love you a lot but there is something I need to tell you. Something which is stopping me from saying that. Let me think and tomorrow I’ll be giving you a reply.” and she left bidding good night.


I don’t know what my reaction should be, I was happy as well as sad. In my last few days, I wanted no one but this girl had made me change that thought. I now wanted to live more for her. I prayed hard to God to help me live more. My eyes welled up and I turned towards the other side of my house, as I did not want to show that reaction to her.

When I looked the other way I saw Mrs. Smith looking at me with her eyes wide open. She might have thought, of what had happened to me. I waved a hi to her and she too waved back but with a little hesitation. Oh shit! It's then I remembered that she had told me to come to her house as her children would come that evening. I really missed that but thought let me go and meet her tomorrow and apologize for that.


The next day morning, as it was a Saturday, I woke up a little late but got ready and walked down to meet Mrs. Smith. As soon as I saw her just went ahead and apologized to her. She told me that it's alright but she inquired about with whom I was speaking on the balcony daily. I was a little shy but told her that I was speaking to Anne, my neighbor.


Mrs. Smith: “What?!”

Me: “Is there any problem Mrs. Smith ”

Mrs. Smith: “How can you talk to Anne”

Me: “Why Mrs.Smith, is there any problem? I know that her mother died and she’s alone, but I’m not

           a bad person to do something bad to her. I spoke her just casually and to say as of now I really

           love her.

Mrs. Smith: “Not that Tom, I know you are a good person. But it's not possible for you to talk to Anne ”

Me: “Why Mrs. Smith, is there any restriction in that. Is there any guardian of her’s I need to speak

 before talking to her”


I was getting a little frustrated and Mrs. Smith could see the anger in my face.


Mrs. Smith: “It's not any of those Tom. She died two months back….”

Me: “No Mrs. Smith, you must have been mistaken. I even spoke to her yesterday”

Mrs. Smith: “No Tom, she was my friend’s daughter and I was there for the funeral of my friend and

Anne’s as well. She was a good girl and looked after her mother till she passed away but

due to all the pressures in life and looking after her mother continuously, she really

never cared about herself and she died due to cancer just like her mother, around two

months after her mother’s death and the loan sharks took away her home and she died

sad.”


For a second, I was shocked and just fell back onto the chair behind me. I could not believe what I hearing. With whom was I talking to these many days. I could not speak anything, and my throat just went dry. Mrs. Smith handed me a glass of water which I could not even drink properly.

Mrs. Smith told that she with her son Eric would come for dinner. Even though I didn’t want this today, it was just insistence from Mrs. Smith that made me agree to it. She thought that this would be a great idea to get things out of my head.

 

I walked back slowly thinking about all those that had happened these many days between us. With whom was I in love with, with whom was I sharing all my feelings. Was it all just a dream.

As I stepped into my house I looked at Anne’s house and walked in. I thought let me find out in the night whether she was a dream. Till then let me cook the dishes. I was busy for the next 2 hours. I had cooked up a turkey and some apple pie. I also made a salad and some fries.

I was very much tired due to all the work and thought a half-hour rest is a must to at least look fresh.

I think I slept for a lot more time than I had thought of. But remembered that Anne might be up there on the balcony. I kept Mrs. Smith aside and walked up to the balcony and saw Anne eagerly waiting for me there. As soon as I saw her, she started speaking.


Anne: “I wanted to reply for your question yesterday, but I told you that there was a reason for not

           giving you that yesterday . I know that Mrs. Smith has told you about that.

Yes, I died two months ago. I hadn’t spoken to anyone when I was alive. Devotedly looked

after my mother as I loved her a lot, but never thought I too would die by the same weapon

of God. But when I saw you, I was shocked that you could see me. I just wanted to speak to

someone, just open up my heart. And you made it all possible. I was on cloud nine and was

feeling love which I never felt in my whole life, as there was little life I lived. But you being

alive made me realize yesterday that, what matters is love and not being dead or alive”


Me: “I don’t care if you are dead or alive, but my love for you is undying. I’ll definitely be loving

you for all eternity”


Anne: “But you look so different today Tom”


Just then I heard some noise down and excused myself from Anne for 5 minutes and went down to check. Someone was trying to break open the door. I was a little panicked, but I had learned enough karate to defend myself. With that courage and went close to the door and looked outside from glass beside the door. I saw a police officer trying to break the door, and I was shocked. Suddenly the door slammed open and I moved aside to not get hit by the door. I saw some people rushing in and carrying out a man outside and I thought who the hell died in my house. Just then I looked around and saw an ambulance as well and also Mrs.Smith standing outside the door. It was just then I observed that the body being carried is mine and the doctor at the ambulance tried some medical tricks and declared me dead.

It was just then I realized that’s why Anne felt me different.

I was not sad but overjoyed and I think I would be the only person in the world to be happy to be dead.

I ran towards Anne’s house and jumped over the fence and right up to her bedroom and picked her in my arms and kissed her. She too kissed me with all the love in the universe.

I just winked at her told, “I don’t think you don’t have any more reasons to say a no to my love”


My dad found love while living, but I think I found love when I was dead.

April 24, 2020 17:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ndekwoh Ojen
06:35 May 01, 2020

Good story but a lot of grammatical and typographical errors. Again, not so cool about your dialogue style, my opinion though. My advice is that you should always set aside your story for a day or two and read it over again. By that you can easily spot errors or you can give someone else to read and comment before posting it. I hope this helps. Please keep writing and stay safe.

Reply

Subheesh S Anand
14:20 May 01, 2020

Thank you very much....I really needed someone to show me my mistakes. I'll definitely try to get those things right. It was my first story ever written, so looking forward for your reviews on all my future submissions. Please do give strong reviews, only then can I improve. Thank you and you too be safe

Reply

Ndekwoh Ojen
06:46 May 10, 2020

Okay. Thanks too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jay Nair
00:22 Apr 29, 2020

Nice short story subheesh👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Reply

Subheesh S Anand
10:30 Apr 29, 2020

thnq Jay. If there are any improvements to be done by me.... please do tell them as well

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.