Romance Writing on the Nightime Train

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that takes place on a train.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Ela walked by an old man. Plunk. D7. She took her seat on the Triple Train that was headed to Mullinville where Ela's grandmother lived. Her parents had died a week ago. Now, Ela was an orphan. But, when Ela turned of age (18) she would own her parent's house, money, and everything they owned. Ela was an only child, so she was lonely. The only person there was Madame Cora Reever. Ela's Governess.

"Well, Ela. Here we are. In the big city. Leaving it to go to a farmland." Governess Reever said. Ela just sat with her arms crossed in front of her. Her blonde curly curls were just above her waist. Her deep brown eyes made the brownest chocolate feel like it was white and plain. Her height was beyond where anyone had ever been at her age. 15-year-old Ela was 4 foot 6. No one else was. It was a normal height, but a unique one, too. Ela's favorite hobby was writing. All day she would write when no one was watching. Of course, since she was a girl, she wasn't supposed to write. But, Ela did. She wrote when she was happy, sad, mad, or any emotional feeling.

Old man Cushion who lives down the street wears a top hot with a mop hat and sing "Twinkle my art to tweet," he sings in a tune you can carry with you, along by your side in the evening dew. The grass, oh so green, sings Mrs. Cushion, Old man Cushion Old man Cushion Old man Cushion ooh.


Old man Cushion was her favorite character she had made yet. Ela felt the back of her neck pain. Burn. Sting.

"Ouch!" she said, touching her neck.

"I'll go get an aid kit!" screamed Nana Cora. She left in a hurry.

"There's no need-" started Ela, but Nana Cora was around the corner and out of sight.

"Do you need any help?" a voice said next to Ela.

"Ah! Who- Where. No-" Ela stuttered, not knowing what to say. The boy was about 16. Blonde hair, bright green eyes. He had pink patches on his cheeks at the moment.

"I'm Jack Ridergale. I come from the 201 Farmland Visit Hotel. It's a nice place. I work there for the writer's schedule. I love writing. I-"

But, Ela cut him off, "You like writing?"

"Yes," replied Jack

"Can-" Ela said, "Can- can I see some of your work?"

"Um, sure," Jack said, he pulled out his notebook from his tan zipper-full bookbag.

"Here," Jack said, "this one is my favorite."

Little Women Pillow always sits on top of a branch. Little Women Pillow wears big pants. Funny and brown stockings, and likes to dance. Her favorite letter is C, for some reason. She loves to milk her cows, and even though she's no woman, she wonders why people vows are real.

"Oh my gosh! Little Women Pillow?" Ela asked

"Yeah." Jack said, "What's so-" Ela pulled out her Old man Cushion and showed it to Jack.

"Wow!" Jack said, "It's like they were meant to be!"

"Maybe not them..." Ela said back. And then it happened, they leaned in and kissed. Nana Cora came back and screamed;

"Nana Cora! He was just looking at my writing." Ela started to say

"Your what?" this got Nana Cora even angrier

"Oops," Ela whispered. Nana Cora turned to Jack. Except he wasn't there, he was gone. Ela and Jack never saw each other again.




February 01, 2020 22:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.