4 comments

Fiction Fantasy

Reflection Unbound

In the quaint, sleepy town of Marlowe's Hollow, nestled between rolling hills and whispering woods, there lived a young woman named Clara. She was an artist, known for her captivating landscapes that seemed to hold secrets within their painted depths.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a golden hue over the town, Clara stood in front of her bedroom mirror. It was an antique piece, its silver frame adorned with intricate carvings, a family heirloom passed down through generations.

As she gazed into the mirror, adjusting her auburn hair, something peculiar caught her eye. Her reflection, which should have mimicked her movements, was still. Clara blinked in disbelief, her heart pounding. She waved her hand, but the reflection did not follow.

"Impossible," she whispered to herself, her voice trembling.

The reflection stared back, its eyes now holding a depth that was unnerving. Clara stepped back, fear creeping into her bones. The mirror's surface rippled like water, and the reflection smiled—a smile that Clara herself was not making.

Panicked, Clara reached out to touch the mirror, her fingers trembling. As they made contact with the cool glass, the reflection's hand reached out too, but instead of meeting the barrier of the mirror, it broke through the surface, grasping Clara's hand.

Clara tried to scream, but no sound emerged. The hand, cold and firm, pulled her closer until she was face-to-face with her other self.

"Why are you doing this?" Clara managed to whisper.

The reflection, now a perfect replica of her, except for the hauntingly cold eyes, spoke in a voice that was hers but laced with a chilling echo. "I am more than a reflection. I am what you hide, what you fear, and now, I am free."

Releasing Clara's hand, the reflection stepped out of the mirror, into the room. Clara, still in shock, watched as her doppelgänger surveyed the room with a curious and malevolent gaze.

"I have been trapped for too long, watching your mundane life. It's time for a change," the reflection declared, a sinister grin spreading across its face.

Clara felt a surge of terror. The reflection, her reflection, was no longer confined to the mirror. It had intentions, desires, and now, the freedom to pursue them.

Clara, her heart racing, watched as her doppelgänger moved around the room with eerie grace. The reflection picked up a paintbrush, examining it with a curious tilt of the head. "So this is your passion," it mused, its voice a haunting mirror of Clara's own.

"What do you want?" Clara asked, trying to mask her fear.

The doppelgänger turned to her, its smile widening. "To live, Clara. To experience everything you've been too afraid to try. To be more than just a reflection."

Clara's mind raced. She had read myths about doppelgängers, but they were just stories, weren't they? This couldn't be real.

"I won't let you," Clara said, her voice firmer now. "You're a part of me, not a separate being."

The doppelgänger laughed, a sound that sent shivers down Clara's spine. "Oh, but I am separate now. And there's so much I want to do."

Suddenly, it lunged forward, pushing Clara against the wall. Its eyes, cold and calculating, bore into hers. "I need you to stay out of my way," it whispered menacingly.

Before Clara could react, everything went black.

Clara awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside her window. Sunlight streamed into the room, casting a warm glow on her face. For a moment, everything seemed normal, peaceful. Then the memories of the night flooded back, and she bolted upright.

Her room was empty. The mirror stood innocently against the wall, its surface still. Clara approached it cautiously, half-expecting her reflection to act on its own again. But it mimicked her movements perfectly, as it always had.

She touched the glass, feeling its cool, smooth surface. It was just a mirror, yet the terror of the previous night was all too real.

Clara knew she had to find her doppelgänger, to stop it from whatever it planned to do. But how do you find someone who is your exact replica, someone who knows your thoughts, your fears, your life?

She left her house, determined to track down her other self. The town of Marlowe's Hollow was small, and Clara hoped that would work to her advantage. But as she walked down the familiar streets, she couldn't shake off the feeling that she was being watched.

Clara wandered the streets of Marlowe’s Hollow, her eyes scanning the faces of passersby, searching for her own. The town, with its quaint shops and cobblestone paths, felt surreal, as if she were seeing it through a distorted lens.

At the local café, where she often sketched, the barista greeted her with a puzzled look. "Clara, weren't you just here? You left your sketchbook," he said, handing her a familiar leather-bound book.

Clara's heart skipped a beat. "I... must have forgotten it earlier," she stammered, taking the book. Her doppelgänger had been here, impersonating her.

She flipped through the pages. Amongst her landscapes were new drawings, eerily distorted versions of her style, twisted and dark. The realization hit her; her doppelgänger wasn't just living her life, it was altering it, leaving a trail of unsettling changes.

Clara left the café, her mind racing. She needed to find her reflection, but how? It knew her too well, every thought, every move she'd make.

As she walked, she noticed subtle changes in the town. People glanced at her with a mixture of confusion and wariness. Her doppelgänger was affecting how others saw her, tainting her relationships with its strange behavior.

Feeling isolated and desperate, Clara decided to visit her old art teacher, Mr. Aldridge, hoping for guidance. He had always believed in the power of art to reveal the truth.

Arriving at his studio, a cozy, cluttered space filled with canvases and the smell of oil paint, Clara found Mr. Aldridge at his easel.

"Mr. Aldridge, I need your help," she began, her voice trembling.

He turned, his wise eyes studying her. "What's troubling you, Clara?"

She hesitated, then told him everything – the mirror, the doppelgänger, the fear that gripped her.

Mr. Aldridge listened intently, his expression grave. "This is extraordinary, Clara. Doppelgängers are said to be manifestations of one's inner self, but to interact with one is rare. You must confront it, understand what it truly wants."

"But how? It's like it's always one step ahead of me," Clara said, frustration edging her voice.

"Use your art, Clara. It's a reflection of your soul, something your doppelgänger can mimic but not truly replicate. Create something that reveals your essence, your truth. It might draw it out."

Clara nodded, a flicker of hope igniting in her chest. She returned home, her mind whirling with ideas. She would create a painting, a piece so personal, so uniquely her, that it would have to lure her doppelgänger out.

In her studio, surrounded by her paintings, Clara began to work. With each brushstroke, she poured her fears, her hopes, her essence onto the canvas. The painting depicted the town, but at its heart was a mirror, its surface rippling like water, a gateway between reality and reflection.

As she painted, she felt as if she were not alone, as if someone were watching her, waiting.

The painting grew under Clara's fervent strokes, a whirlpool of colors and emotions. It was more than art; it was a piece of her soul, a beacon for her other self. Night fell, and the only sound in the studio was the brush whispering across the canvas.

As she laid the final stroke, a silence enveloped the room. Clara stepped back, her eyes fixed on the painting. The mirror in the painting seemed to pulse, its surface shimmering under the moonlight streaming through the window.

Then, she heard it — a soft, echoing step behind her. Clara turned, her heart pounding in her chest. There, framed in the doorway, stood her doppelgänger, its eyes fixed on the painting.

"You've done it," the doppelgänger said, its voice a haunting echo. "You've painted the truth."

Clara faced her other self, her fear now mixed with resolve. "What are you? Why are you here?"

The doppelgänger stepped closer, its gaze never leaving the painting. "I am your unspoken dreams, your hidden fears. I am the part of you that yearns for more. I came to live, but I see now that I am nothing without you."

Clara, understanding dawning on her, spoke softly, "You are a part of me, a reflection of my deepest self. But you can't exist separately. We are one."

The doppelgänger nodded, a tear glinting in its eye. "I see that now. I wanted to experience life, but I've only caused chaos. It's time for me to return to where I belong."

The two stood facing each other, the boundary between them blurring. Clara reached out, and as her hand touched her doppelgänger's, a gentle light enveloped them.

In that moment of connection, Clara felt a rush of emotions, memories, and desires — all that her doppelgänger had experienced. She understood its loneliness, its longing, and its love for the beauty of life.

As the light faded, the doppelgänger smiled, a genuine, warm smile. "Thank you, Clara, for giving me a glimpse of the world."

With those final words, the doppelgänger dissolved into a cascade of light, flowing back into Clara. She felt a sense of wholeness, a balance restored.

The painting now showed the mirror calm and still, reflecting the room with perfect clarity. Clara realized that her journey had been one of self-discovery, of embracing all parts of herself.

In the days that followed, Clara's art took on a new depth, a fusion of light and shadow. The town of Marlowe's Hollow embraced her once more, her relationships mended by her newfound understanding.

Clara often stood before her antique mirror, no longer fearing what it might reveal. She knew now that the reflections we see are not just what we show the world, but what lies within us, waiting to be acknowledged and embraced.

November 21, 2023 04:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Patricia Casey
19:53 Nov 26, 2023

Hi Lloyd, I enjoyed Clara's journey of self-discovery through her mirror image. This is well-written throughout. In her studio, surrounded by her paintings, Clara began to work. With each brushstroke, she poured her fears, her hopes, her essence onto the canvas. The painting depicted the town, but at its heart was a mirror, its surface rippling like water, a gateway between reality and reflection. (my favorite section) One small improvement suggestion: You have three occurrences of trembling (2 trembling voices and 1 trembling fingers). T...

Reply

Show 0 replies
_Spilled Ink_
02:06 Nov 28, 2023

I like that you waste no time in introducing the doppelganger and its possibly dark intentions but I think because of that you sacrifice some much-needed depth the reflection could have. After all we're told that its because Clara is too afraid to venture out and try new experiences that her reflection is angry with her but how have you shown it? Besides that its a great story with potential but I'm holding out hope this isn't your greatest work!

Reply

Lloyd Napier
21:48 Nov 29, 2023

I have to disagree completely, but I understand why you might not get it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keana Sky
15:15 Nov 27, 2023

This story was very well written

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.