0 comments

Friendship Funny Happy

In the children's ward of the hospital stood a young woman. She seemed to be in her early twenties and was slender with beautiful long black hair. She smiled happily as she played and interacted with the children.

As she did another young woman around her age came in and ran up to her holding two cards. "Olivia!" She waved the cards in font of her. "You have to come with me!"

Olivia looked at her with her brow raised. "That depends where you wanna take me. You know I don't go to places like clubs or bars, Lucia." Lucia sighed. "Yes, I know. So sad. We could do so many fun things if you did. Maybe you would have a boyfriend by now too."

Olivia laughed. "Well, you've gone to the clubs so many times but I don't see a prince charming." She stuck out her tongue and smirked at Lucia.

Lucia's mouth

fell open and playfully slapped Olivia. "Hahah very funny, liv." She

rolled her eyes. "But you have to go. My dad is having a dinner party and I don't wanna go alone."

"Ooooh. So you wanna make me suffer with you hmm? No way." Olivia crossed her arms.

Lucia playfully shook her. "Oh c'mon. Please." She pouted at Olivia.

"I promise their will be non-alcoholic food and drinks. Help me out this once. You're my friend right?"

Olivia rolled her eyes and smiled. "Okay, okay. Fine, I'll go. But you better keep your promise." Lucia nodded "I promise. But..." and grinned "we gotta go shopping. I have seen your wardrobe you need way better clothes for this event."

Olivia pouted. "Whats wrong with the way I dress?" Lucia laughed.

"I mean you look pretty without dressing up but trust me. If we don't go shopping. You'll feel left out."

------------- At the dinner party-----

Olivia and Lucia were dressed up and enjoying themselves at the party when an older man and young man around their age approached them.

"Little Lucy! I haven't seen you for so long. You've grown up since I last saw you. How have you been?" The older man greeted Lucia and then looked at Olivia. "And who is the lovely young lady with you?"

"It's nice to see you again as well Mr. Miller. This is my friend, Olivia. She works with me at the hospital." Lucia smiled back kindly and Olivia waved and gave a slight nod.

"Ah, yes. I heard from your father that you decided to study medicine instead of business. He must've been very disappointed but I admire your courage to pursue your dreams." He patted her shoulders and directed his hand to the young man next to him. "This is my son, Gene, by the way. He's my successor."

Gene reached out his hand to Lucia and smiled. "Hi, nice to meet you, Lucy." Lucy shook his hand and greeted him back. Gene greeted Olivia as well but Gene and Lucia started talking more so Olivia excused herself.

"Hey, Liv. Why don't you go mingle. Maybe you'll find Mr. right." Lucia teases and Olivia shook her head. "Uhuh that's as possible as meeting my old crush

here."

"If you do, say hi to him." Gene said and Lucia nodded. "I dare you to ask him out." Olivia's eyes widen at that. "Ask him out? Oh heck no. Absolutely not." She scowled. Gene and Lucia look at each other. Lucia spoke first. "Oh c'mon. Be romantic."

Olivia rolled her eyes. "Today is 14 March. Not february f. Valentine is long gone." "If you can do it. I'll pay you 7 grand." Gene smirked. Olivia gave in. "Ok, fine. That would really be a coincidence though. Today is the day I met him 12 years ago."

"How romantic!" They both said and Olivia sighed. "Welp, I'm off

bye." She waved and they waved back.

Olivia was enjoying herself with food and looking around and talked to many people. “Huh. So, this party is a come together of multiple businesses. Interesting. Never thought  I’d have the luxury to see this.” She spoke to herself and laughed softly.

“I never thought, I’d hear someone speaking out loud if they weren’t acting. Are you okay ma’am?” A voice behind her remarked and laughed. When she turned around she was surprised to see him. Her mouth fell open.

“By your reaction I’m guessing you’re a fan?” He smiled and raised his brow. Olivia shook her head. “No, I just thought you looked like someone I knew. My name’s Olive what about you?” She smiled and he smiled back. “Luca. Luca Romano.”

“Its him. The gods must be playing a joke on me. Oh c’mon!” Olivia thought to herself. “Olivia de la Fuente. My name is Olivia de la Fuente.” “C’mon. Olivia do it. It’s seven grand Just ask!”

Luca laughed. “You know if you keep staring. I will actually start thinking you’re a fan or am I just that handsome?”

 “Don’t be so cocky, Luca. What girl in her right mind falls in love at first sight.” Olivia rolled her eyes. “Also I’m surprised you didn’t say “will you stop staring at me Olivia” like you always did.” She quoted with her fingers then widened her eyes.

Luca was amused by her. “Aren’t you being hypocritical now, Olive.” He smirked. “It seems you’re the one who’s been fantasizing about me. Why don’t you just tell me you’re my fan.”

Olivia pointed her finger at him and was about to yell but clenched her fists and took a deep breath. “Cocky bastard.” She whispered. “I heard that.” Olivia stuck her tongue out. “Good. Cause you are.”

“And I’m sorry to burst your bubble with the imaginary me in your dreams, princess” He chuckled She laughed and she pointed at him “You.” she rose her brow “In my dreams.” She places her hands on her chest

“Now that hasn’t happened in a long time Luca. Or should I call you Luke or Lukie as the rest of the family does.” She smirked and he gave a surprised look. “How did you know that?”

“Oh don’t tell me you’ve forgotten me, Luke. We were friends about 11 years ago. You still keep in contact with my sister Crystal, don’t you?’ She raised her brow.

“Wait, wait. Crystal has a sister? And you’re her sister? You’re lying. And if we were friends why did you never text me then? I bet you don’t even know my personal number.” Luca argued.

Olivia sighed and pulled out her phone. She showed him a recent picture of her and her sister and some with her cousins. “I don’t know if you’re just pretending you forgot me or actually did. “Olivia I treasure you as my friend.” Hah where? Lies.”

Luca frowned as she was being sarcastic. “This doesn’t prove that we were friends. I don’t see me. Plus why did you never say hi. I don’t believe that this is true. If you wanna ask me something just say it don’t make up stories to persuade me.”

Olivia gave him a “Are you kidding me right now’ face then shrugged. “Well I do have something to ask. Do you wanna go out with me Luke?” She let out a deep breath. “I can’t believe I actually did that.

“Yeah, me either. I have to say no. You were making up stories. I don’t go out with girld like you. I’m sorry.” He said and she laughed. “Its okay I understand where you are coming from plus this isn’t the worst thing you’ve said to me.”

“Again with the fake stories?” He gave her annoyed look. “Eh!” Olivia ponted towars him.  “Don’t you dare give me the cold shoulder like you always do when you get annoyed with someone.

“How did you know that? Are you a stalker? If you are I’ll call security!” He threatened and she shook her head in amusement.

“Will you stop being such a damn drama king? Calm down. I have proof.” She took out her phone and sent him a text.“Check your whatsapp. I sent you a text.” She said.

Then she searched for the files of pictures with Luke, while he opened his whatsapp and saw her text. Then read up to their previous conversations.

“Here! I found them.” Olivia showed him the pictures. “See. We were friends. Good friends but…” She sighed “Never mind it’s past. Many years have gone by already.”

Luke looked at her. “You seem different from how you were 11 years ago if I look at the texts.” Olivia shrugged. “Time changes and people change with it.”

Luca stared at the sky as they were standing on a balcony. “How about we start over and become friends again. Plus you’re fun to argue with. It’s very amusing. His smirk was back.

“Fine. On one condition though.” She smirked back.

“Oh? Do I have to be you boyfriend?” He asked her and Olivia shook her head.

“No, I just want an apology. For being a jerk and for blaming everything on me, waiting six months to reject me while not being clear whether you liked me back or not.”

“I did that? I sound like a jerk. I’m sorry.” Olivia smiled. “That’s all I need to hear. We’re starting over so you don’t have to feel too guilty. I made my mistake to you at that time as well."

“Anyways, to a happy friendship!” Olivia giggled and raised her glass of wine to Luca. Luca smiled back at her as she smiled at time. “To a happy friendship!”He raised his glass to hers as well.

“Cheers!” They said and fireworks shot and brightened the night sky. They looked at each other and laughed and caught up on many things.

February 17, 2021 06:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.