2 comments

Thriller Crime Fiction

He got up in the middle of the night in a startled way. He was staring out of the window which was beside his bed. He saw a canal rushing. Looking closer, for a split second, he thought it was blood. It was just sewage water, shouldn’t he be relieved? He wasn’t. He had seen a figure he thought he would never ever see again. He thought the figure was dead until…

It all started in the summer of 1969. Texas in June was a nightmare. Ajax was just reading The Daily. It had a two page article on a serial killer who had been associated with 90 missing people and 20 casualties. These people seemed to disappear into thin air but there was only one connection: a nutcracker replaced the missing. Ajax was getting really worried because he could see a pattern in which the mysterious attacker functioned. It was a weird town to town pattern and Ajax could see that the next town in line was his own. The mysterious attacker seemed to only attack teenagers. This made him more worried because he had a set of twins- a son- 18 years of age and a daughter- 16 years of age. But there was always a gap of a week before the next attack which meant he had less than one week to get his kids to safety.

He decided to send them away to his mother’s place in seclusion so that they do not get a lot of access to the internet which makes it harder for the attacker to come there and find them. He called his team and set up the secret operation to catch the killer inside his own house. As it became the headquarters, each room of his house became a hub for a particular activity to take place. In the boy’s room, hacking was in progress and the living room became the lounge for random short naps for the agents.

Meanwhile, back at his mother’s place, the two kids were fed up with being locked inside doors and wanted to go out really badly. At noon when their grandmother was cooking lunch, they decided to jump out of the window by using a bedsheet rope and used another bedsheet as a parachute to cover the rest of the distance. They made it outside and innocently headed towards the park. Little did they know what was waiting for them. 

At the park there was a lot of activity. The kids came to a common agreement where they would take the route in which there was the least number of people. It was the forest trail ,it was a mud trail that was a very long trek and it was a pleasant hike.

When the kids were hiking up the steepest part of the hill they saw a black hooded man who was rushing down the hill and crashed into them . not noticing that he dropped something , he kept going down , the boy noticed that a well cased glass motherboard ESP8266 model , very rare the ones that were used in hacking or hardcore programming . he recognised it as he was a hardcore programmer . He was astonished to find this , he picked it ,dusted it and put it in his side pocket. 

Meanwhile at the headquarters Ajax gets a lead on the serial killer . It was about where the serial killer will meet his allies and discuss their escape routes after the murders. It was at a warehouse at the outskirts of the town. The warehouse's  name was “sugar and spice” . Ajax remembered that area very well because that was where his first encounter was. He decided to attack with everyone and suits up that's when he receives a call. It was his son telling him what happened at the park and after that how he entered the motherboard he tells that the warehouse is a decoy and they are going to meet up at the headquarters after everyone goes to the warehouse. What astonished him was not the fact that his children exited the house but the fact that the serial killer knew everything that could mean only one thing ‘a mole’.He was astonished because he trusted his crew blindly. He started to get suspicious at the hacker because he went out to smoke but no cigarette smell would come from him and he insisted on coming. That means he didn’t want to be here when we were at the warehouse. That means he knows that the serial killer is coming here. Immediately he held the hacker at gunpoint and told him to call the serial killer.

When the serial killer picked up the agents got the location of the serial killer it was 1 block down the road so the agents suited up and left everyone except ajax he shot the hackers and hid under the kitchen cabinet. When half of the agents went to the warehouse and the other half went to the house that was 1block down. The serial killer was overjoyed when he found out that the agents had fallen for his trap. He first expected them to stay home or just go to the warehouse. Now he was elated that the agents had split up and the headquarters was empty. He called his allies and asked them to go to the headquarters, not knowing that Ajax was there.  The first person to arrive at the headquarters was the serial killer. He went to the hall and set up the table with the meeting plans. Feeling thirsty, he went looking for water in the kitchen. When he entered the kitchen, Ajax jumped out of the cabinet and shot him in his forehead. He called his agents back to Headquarters before the arrival of the serial killer’s allies. They arrived right on time, just before the allies started walking in. The agents hid inside the house and when the allies sat around the table, they popped out of their hiding spots and shot them as if they were sitting ducks. They disposed of the bodies at a junkyard. 

Twenty Years Later…..

He got up in the middle of the night in a startled way. He was staring out of the window which was beside his bed. He saw a canal rushing. Looking closer, for a split second, he thought it was blood. It was just sewage water, should he be relieved? He wasn’t. He had seen a figure he thought he would never ever see again. He thought the figure was dead until now when the serial killer was standing right outside his block with a cynical smile on his face. 

June 10, 2021 03:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

05:48 Jun 17, 2021

Nice Anuthaman Write more

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:06 Aug 28, 2021

k

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.