A FISTFUL OF POWER

Written in response to: Begin your story with a librarian searching for something.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Funny

Librarian Indira climbed a stool and reached for books under alphabet F. She got a Fleming and put it back saying “There is a Flaubert before that who has written Salammbo.” She said with a whistle “Salammbo where’re you?”

There came an answer “Here I am” and a young and beautiful woman stood before her.

The librarian asked “What’re you doing in our library?”

Salammbo laughed and said “You called me and I appeared before you.”

The librarian said “Today is Monday and it’s our weekly off. I’m locked in here alone as I’m stock verifying the book collection.”

Indira was nearing 40 and was a spinster. She was still slim and attractive though there was a grey touch to her hair. She wiped her spectacle lenses and stared at Salammbo.

Indira asked “Salammbo what are you?”

“I’m high priestess of a temple in Carthage. I never come alone. My lover Matho has also arrived with me.”

 There was the sound of a door opening and a handsome young man stood before them.

Salammbo said “This is my lover Matho.”

As Indira watched, Matho silently took Salammbo in his arms and ardently kissed her.

All this was watched by magician Merlin who chose to remain invisible.

The librarian said “I can see you’re really attached to each other.”

Salammbo said “Yes. He first came to me at an hour I had been pining for him wanting very much to be handled by him. He is a great lover.”

Merlin now swung into action. He asked himself “Why not change only the sex of the three?” He clicked his fingers and instantly the change came about.

Salammbo was surprised. The librarian was stunned at finding her prominent female features having vanished and an unfamiliar part having been added. Matho was humbled at having lost what was his crowning glory. He was embarrassed at finding what Salammbo had above her waist on him instead.

The librarian said “Excuse me. I’ll be back in a moment.”

She headed to the lady’s room but retraced her steps realizing she had to go to the men’s room though in female attire. Hesitantly she went to ‘gents’. There she was looking for the seat in the closet when she recalled she would have to stand against the wall. How could she do it with her zipless pants on?

 Since there would be no intrusion being the weekly holiday she dropped the pants and struggled to remove the inner wear. The new part caused some confusion but she managed. A fist full of power she thought. She finished and wished there was a mirror around. It was there high up. She had her cell phone round her neck and quickly took selfies! She was stunned at her transformation. She thought “I’ve put off marriage so far which was a wrong decision. I am going to get wedded and bedded soon.” She found her pants uncomfortable but there seemed no alternative for the present. I am alone so it is okay she thought. She joined the two others in the F rack. The two stood there looking confused.

Indira noted that Salammbo had lost the considerable mass within her blouse. Matho stood with Salammbo’s cloak covering his chest.

Salammbo said to the librarian “I’m sure some magic has affected the three of us. I know Matho will rue having missed the most important part of his body and which took me to heaven and beyond so many times. And I could feel the power it wielded as I held it. It’s a shame now that he has lost it. Now he will expect me to do it. It will tire me. I wish he gets back his original form.” She stopped and said “I’ve to check myself.  Where do I go?”

The librarian said “Go down the corridor…. I’m sorry. The men’s room is just behind us. Follow the arrows. But the mirror there is high up and inaccessible.”

As Salammbo vanished Matho said “Tell me the way to the ladies room.”

“Go down the corridor and turn left. It is there.”

Matho left. He had to use the seat and was very upset. He said to himself “I who would use the basin on the wall even from afar have come to this state. I hope the transformation would be reversed soon. Salammbo will be waiting for it.”

The librarian was left alone for the nonce. She said to herself “It casts a new responsibility on me. What would happen if I go out in female clothes which I have on with the extra burden? May be I shouldn’t have come to work today. And I had to check the F rack!”

She checked her phone and there it was! Surely I was a male and instinct makes me long for female Matho. May be it would be exciting but then I have had no experience! Jayant was longing for me. If I go back to my original state I’m going to allow him all freedom with my body. Everywhere! Now I know what gives men the confidence: The fistful of power.

The three were together soon enough. The librarian asked “How will we show ourselves in these clothes? I had sumptuous mammaries and my blouse hangs loose. And my pants are very uncomfortable. They pinch everywhere.”

Salammbo said “My complaint is also the same. Poor Matho! I would’ve to handle him. I don’t want to be a man with that onerous duty in bed.”

The doorbell rang. The librarian didn’t know what to do. The bell rang half a dozen times and stopped. Then came the phone calls. The librarian picked it up after a wḥile and answered. She said hurriedly “The work is almost finished. I’ll come out in ḥalf an hour.”

Merlin was listening to all this and knew the predicament of the three. He reversed ḥis spell. As the two women stood perplexed tḥeir blouses filled up again and they lost the appended parts. All three were happy. The librarian stood on the stool and checked and she found SALAMMBO. She turned and said “I called you and you came. Now …..”

The librarian turned and looked only to find the two had vanished. She was happy she had her original shape with parts restored. But her longing for a mate made her check the picture she had made of herself in the men’s room. Yes there it is! She immediately called Jayant who was after her. She could feel he was surprised as she rarely called him.

She said “Jayant you had invited me the other day for dinner at the club but I was busy otherwise.”

He said “How about joining me tonight?”

“Sure. You can pick me up. Bye!”

END

NOTE: SALAMMBO is a novel by French writer Gustave Flaubert. The heroine is Salammbo. She gets hold of and restores a veil of an extremely occult significance.

*

August 13, 2023 13:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.