1 comment

Drama

She stares out the window at the soft glare from the wintry snow and begins to dream of a vacation this year. Her income is limited, and if a trip is planned it must be planned well. Still staring out the window mystified by the snows awesome beauty, the phone rings. Tears stream down her face as she hears the news echoing from the answering machine “This is your boss Dan ,your 4 tickets to “Big Bear Snow Cabin” will arrive this weekend ,complimentary from the company. She gasps for air because fairy tales do come true.


That weekend the doorbell rang. As she opened the door, the postman delivered a bouquet of red roses and a pink envelope enclosed with 4 tickets to ”Big Bear Snow Cabin”. The trip includes seven days cabin accommodation, complimentary dinner for four and reimbursement for mileage.


She drops her head again and a sullen feeling overcomes her because she does not know who to invite. She regains her thoughts and picks up her Planner off the coffee table. She decides to invite her best friend tabby, her estranged sister Willow and her eccentric Uncle the retired army Veteran Phil.


Tabby her best friend is very personable, outgoing and loves to travel. Her sister Willow loves to gamble and is a very big story teller. Whereas her Uncle the retired Veteran enjoys camping trips and has the wherewithal as a carpenter.


She remembers the stories her uncle Phil would tell her about his camping trips. She thinks to herself just how exciting the trip will be as they all unite again.


Excited about her plans and the reunion of her family members, she makes her first phone call to her best friend Tabby. Tabby loves to travel during the winter months and advises her what to bring. Next, she calls her estranged sister Willow. She has to convince Willow to take vacation time from work. After persuading Willow to go, she agrees to bring the groceries, wine and books. Finally, that day she decides to call uncle Phil the retired veteran. Uncle Phil agrees to arrive one day early to get the cabin prepared for he has the wherewithal.


Two days before the trip I went shopping for my winter wear. I purchased from my favorite shopping mall seven winter outfits, pajamas, snow jackets, snow caps ,snowboots and other casual wear. That day Uncle Phil came over and picked up the ticketS. He told her by the time she, Tabby and Willow arrived everything would be prepared.


That day she called the local Travel Agent and received instructions on how to get to “Big Bear Snow Cabin”. The trip would take one day to arrive.


The next day at sunrise Tabby and Willow arrive at her home to pack all their bags onto the SUV. She explains to her friends that it takes 5 hours to get to the mountain and up the Big Bear Snow mountain trek. It’s a journey due to traffic. Along the way they passed many scenic views.


Willow ask her sister how many outfits did you bring. Oh about seven she exclaims. Did you bring the wine and storybooks? Yes. Tabby smiles and said she brought board games and playing cards.


After their long journey up the congested trail they pass by the towns shopping mall and restaurants. The log cabins are three miles away from town. If you like to walk in the snow it only takes one hour to get from the log cabins to town.


Finally, after this awesome journey they arrive at the log cabin. She blows her horn to let Uncle Phil know that they have arrived. Uncle Phil opens the door and surprises us by his appearance. He has a full beard, dressed in army wear, combat boots and a beret. He walks over to the drivers door. He informs the girls that the cabin is absolutely beautiful inside and has four bedrooms. The girls all yell together “the party is here”. Before Uncle Phil can say anything else Tabby flirtatiously asked him to help her with her bags as she winks.


Now that all the bags have been loaded into the log cabin, they all find their rooms.


After unpacking their bags, they come downstairs to a well lit fireplace that keeps the log cabin nice and toasty. Willow serves four glasses of their favorite Hawaiian Wine and sets the Chess game on the table.


At this time Uncle Phil walks into the cabin. Willow his youngest niece hands him his glass of Hawaiian wine. Uncle Phil refuses the wine and says he already had a glass of Scotch. Besides he smiles and says the Hawaiian Wine is a “monkey drink”.


Tabby walks over to the lamp to play with it and it does not work. Oh she exclaims ‘the light bulb needs to be changed. Uncle Phil now informs the girls that there is no electricity, internet or phone. Everybody ‘throws their hands up‘. Is there anything else you want to tell us said Willow. No, I hope you bought plenty of candles. The cabin came with a 5 foot candle for every room. Three in the living room. This keeps the log cabin bright.


Tabby whispers in her ear. They both laugh. Uncle Phil are you experiencing a memory lapse, why don’t you slip into something comfortable. Uncle Phil disappears and returns later in his casual wear. Great Uncle Phil they all laugh.


Tabby excuses herself to powder her nose, and Willow follows suit. It takes about thirty minutes for both girls to return.


She now engages in a conversation with Uncle Phil. The longest period of time that he can stay at the cabin under the present living conditions is two more days. Then he would have to depart. She agreed. They now begin to play Chess. Tabby and Willow return and began to engage in a conversation.


That night she returned to her log cabin room. For some reason, she decided to check her purse. She opened her wallet and $300.00 was missing. She thought to herself that was my car payment money. Maybe I left the money in my other wallet at home. Hmm, she makes a logical deduction. Tabby my best friend has never stolen from me. Willow my estranged sister had enrolled in an alcoholic program and a former gambler would never rob me of my possessions. Uncle Phil, really cares about us girls and would not come to Big Bear Snow Cabin for a lousy few dollars.


The next day she awakens to a very cold Room. Uncle Phil had chopped plenty of wood and started a fire that morning. Tabby and Willow were downstairs waiting for her to join them for breakfast at the nearby restaurant.


Still frustrated at the thought that money was stolen, she was not going to spoil her trip. So she decided to leave her camera and $100.00 from her overnight kit on the dresser. In this way, she would know for sure if there was a thief among them.


After they returned from from the restaurant, she deliberately stayed in the living room and watched everyone leave the area to change into something different.


As she suspected, someone screamed. She had booby trapped her room and a bucket of water came tumbling over her head. But the thief managed to get the extra $100.00 off the dresser. The thief ran to her room and closed the door. When she went to her room the money was missing from the dresser. The foot tracks led to both rooms.


She turns around and Uncle Phil is standing behind her. Either Tabby or Willow has stolen $400.00.


Lets go! Let’s go now!


That evening they all pack there bags and head for home. Before they take off for home Uncle Phil leaves ahead of them.


On the way, down the hillside she looks in the rear view mirror and notices that the well lit cabin suddenly darkens.











January 18, 2021 09:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Colin Devonshire
05:20 Jan 28, 2021

I enjoyed your story, the way you knitted the characters together and leaving things unsaid. There are a few literals, but that did not detract from your tale.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.