Broken Leg Summer

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Write about a summer vacation gone wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Happy Bedtime

It's the first day of summer in Newport, New Hampshire. During the summer, we encourage communal stargazing under the open sky. Join the little bear and his companion as they contemplate the vast night sky and envision tomorrow's adventures. Invite your children to partake in this enriching activity with you for a fun and memorable summer together. With only two mouths to enjoy it, kids can't waste a single minute.

Each night becomes a precious opportunity to bond, dream, and explore the wonders above. So grab the blankets, find a cozy spot, and let the stars guide your imagination. One such kid is called "Joy Dolly Bracket." A high-spirited girl is usually seen with her friends Sam and Johnny; they share a strong and enduring friendship. Whenever Joy and her friends go out, they are always on the move, running through the forest or walking through their neighborhood, laughing and giggling with delight.

No matter how many stones they throw, how many water balloon fights they have, or how many racecar races they participate in, their days are filled with excitement and camaraderie. Each adventure creates memories that last a lifetime, bringing them closer together. However, a lousy accident destroyed the girl's spirit, leaving her confined to her room.

Joy is moping around in her cast, her tomboyish spirit crushed by the broken leg that forced her to sit out the summer. Her parents, Alxe and April, desperate to lift her mood, surprised her with a family vacation to the South Shore of New Hampshire. Despite the salty air and seagulls' cries, she could not shake off boredom as they arrived.

On the first day, Joy reluctantly settled for building sandcastles, her mind still on the baseball diamond. She dreamed of leading the Moose Browns, New Hampshire's youth league team, to victory alongside her crush, Peter. But an accident got in the way. An opposing team member accidentally hit her leg while making the final run to earn a point. The game stopped abruptly when she fell hard to the ground, her pain immediate and intense. Her best friend and teammate Tim and Fred, her uncle and team coach, were the first to rush to her side; their faces paled with worry.

Even though the Mooses lost, they put their disappointment aside to take their team away to recuperate. While the damage wasn't so bad to be considered permanent, it would fully heal in the fall, so her summer plans were at least ruined. With her heart heavy with disappointment at the resolutions, Joy refused to leave her room.

From her window, she watched enviously as her friends played outside, their laughter a painful reminder of what she was missing. As much as her parents tried to cheer her up, the weight of her broken dreams kept her spirit confined, much like the cast on her leg. As she gazed out at the turquoise waves, an idea sparked. She convinced her parents to rent a kayak, promising to take it easy. As she paddled solo, the waves of the ocean regained her excitement. The wind in her hair, the sun on her face, and the rhythmic dipping of the paddle into the water brought back the thrill of competition she had missed.

The sudden riptide swept her away from the shore, and panic set in as she struggled to paddle back. Just as fear overwhelmed her, a solid current pushed her toward a hidden cove. Breathless and shaken, Joy looked up to find a secluded paradise: turquoise waters lapping on a crescent beach surrounded by towering palms. It didn't end from there. Several days later, her father took her fishing, teaching her to reel in a catch with patience and skill. During her time at the shore, she also spent time collecting seashells with her mother, April.

For the first time all summer, Joy felt alive, her heart racing with fear and exhilaration. As she paddled back to her relieved parents, she realized that sometimes a wrong turn could lead to an unexpected adventure and a chance to rediscover her joy. By the time she came home, Sam and Johnny had come in, refusing to let things ruin her cast.

Leaving the trio to work thanks to video games, board games, Lego building, and drawing. Together, they created epic storylines, built intricate Lego cities, and engaged in thrilling video game quests. Joy's room became a vibrant world of creativity and fun, where their imaginations soared just as high as the stars they once gazed at. Restoring more of her smile.

Before one of their activities ends, Sam and Johnny meet up with Peter. Peter still feels guilty about Joy's accident. He wants to make amends, but he has no idea Joy likes him. Taking advantage of the opportunity, Sam and Johnny plan to bring Joy and Peter together. They want to create an ideal moment to bond and spark something more. So they asked Peter to go to their favorite spot in the forest and wait there while they brought Joy. They kept the plan secret. As Joy arrived and saw Peter standing under the tree canopy, her heart raced, and her face turned red like an apple. She wanted to run away, but her friends encouraged her to stay and face him, giving her the courage to finally speak to him.

The two friends left them alone, hoping for a heartfelt conversation, but their well-intentioned plan backfired. Peter fumbled with his words, unable to express his remorse for Joy's broken leg, while Joy's cheeks burned with embarrassment as she struggled to confess her feelings. The silence between them grew awkward, with each moment stretching longer than the last. But the silence was broken when Peter revealed he had been trying to talk to her & searching for her everywhere, terrified when she didn't return. Joy's heart skipped a beat quickly.

When Joy nearly fell from embarrassment, she grabbed her walking stick to escape. Before getting hurt, Peter rushed to her and helped her pick herself up. They looked at each other for a second. There's a palpable attraction between them. Their faces turned red with embarrassment as they shared a kiss. Amidst the blush, they shared a tender smile, feeling relief and connection. Peter helped Joy with her walking stick, and they went home together.

The irony wasn't lost on Joy; she had broken her leg to win the game and lost, but she got a much more significant win as Peter took his time to try to find her, showing his care. A series of unexpected events led Joy back to him after she recovered from her whole experience. As they walked hand in hand, the sound of the waves and seagulls fading into the background, Joy knew that this summer, despite its rocky start, might be the most unforgettable yet.

August 07, 2024 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.