0 comments

Science Fiction

Growing up in a rural environment, “Nadeesha “was studying for a degree in Biology at the University of Peradeniya . A severe viral disease called corona spread like wildfire across the country and she had to spend few months at home.

Exams and lectures were conducted online and she had to spend time at home due to immigration restrictions .

Sometimes  “Nadeesha “was sitting on the edge of the paddy field near the garden as it was very boring to continue studying. Her eyes were drawn to a spider web nearby. She recalled a series of nanotechnology lessons she had learned in high school. The strength of the nets was as follows

 “ Do you get entangled in spider webs when you walk in the environment? Did you know about their strengths? Did you study their structure and create the strings to create a staircase into space? One day those dreams will come true. ”

A number of research reports on the production of silk using these spider webs have been found on the Internet.

During the remaining days of laziness, research was done on new spider fibers. She thought that if plastic could be substituted for plastics, it would be able to conquer the world that is being destroyed by plastics. All the exams were completed and all that was left was to complete the research dissertation. She was referred to the Colombo Institute of Biotechnology to complete this dissertation. Nadeesha had to do the research under the supervision of a research officer named “Janith Senadheera.”

He is a very handsome young scientist . The young man in order to eliminate the loneliness , and the stories were carried spider  prison closed bottle of the net in his hand. He is a  fun-loving character. Bright blue eyes, he said a couple rights , strange the appearance and personality.

" Sir, " she spoke to him.

" You came from campus too  "

" Bow sir what are these spiders doing "

" I have a spider colony, come on, " she followed him

He described spider research.

" This species of spider is endemic to the wet zone of Sri Lanka. I found this species in the “Kanneliya” forest. "

" Severe viral disease antibiotic to make the implementation of what next can of onions protein. The cure for covid 19 disease has been successful.

 ” Spiders cannot be grown artificially in colonies. They become violent, devour their species and destroy colonies. So I transplanted the genes involved in making that antibiotic protein into a bacterial genome, produced bacterial colonies, and extracted the protein by bacteria. I did. ”

" I also love farming, sir. In the days that followed, I got a lot of information about this research from the internet.  " There was a research paper that could cure AIDS. ”

“ Yes, Nadi, are you interested in farming?" Extract the spider protein first and finish your campus work. “

“Nadeesha  “ had to find a place temporary stay  to complete her research. She only went home on the weekends. In those days she got engaged on a proposal brought by her parents . She had no reason to dislike him working in a private bank.

Janith sometimes stayed in the lab until the evening. He said he also comes to work on some weekends .

" Are you going home this week, Nadee? " 

" Yes sir "

“ Why would anyone look special? ”

" No sir my dad is a little sick and I will help you next week sir " she said.

" Don't tell me sir sir Nadee " Janith stepped on Nadeesha's leg.

She looked at his face with a beautiful smile. Nadeesha's mind is fascinated by Janith Dagakara's. The young man she was engaged to contacted her on the new phone but did not like him much. She often remembered Janith's beautiful smile. She did not know any personal information about Janith but he got a phone call while Nadeesha was in the science lab .

" I can't come right now . I have work to do, son. Go with you.  "

She overheard his conversation. She thought it must be his wife.

" Sir, I found a lot of facts. "

“ What did you bring home? “

She said nothing.

" Their special  someone there? " He asked

" I am engaged to be married "

He just smiled.

"Sir, Phodovulum salfidophilum, a photosynthetic bacterium, can be used to make these proteins.\"

" Let's do it, Nadi." We see this work done using sea water " .

" Sir, because this bacterium grows in seawater and uses carbon dioxide, nitrogen and sunlight, will it not solve the potential for energy crisis and global warming ?" ”

"It would be nice if we could do something we can use instead of plastic. The yarn we made in this project was given to the Department of Textiles to weave saris.

" I will give it to you first when you bring that sari . ”

“ Give it to me and not to Sir's wife. ”

" Crazy girl, " he said, squeezing her ear.

He  touched her hand. She longed to be embraced by his tender love but it was suppressed with effort .

" Let's try this . Gambling. We can write a project to build a bio-factory. "

One day she went out on a field trip with him . She sat in the front seat of the car with him . He drove the car and occasionally grabbed her hand. The two went to the beach to take samples as very close friends. There they had lunch and he fed her a mouthful of rice.

“Does the husband  know? " She did not speak anything.

Bacterial protein production using seawater has been very successful. He often exchanged telephone messages with her . There was a love affair between them. They were both invited to a Presidential Awards Ceremony for the Best Environmental Project . Nadeesha was wearing a sari made of spider silk and after receiving the awards, the two of them left the venue to see the world tomorrow. Nadeesha came home lazily after the awards ceremony. Nadeesha's mother and father also attended the ceremony. Was not invited to the ceremony.

When her mother came home, she said.

" What a dance drama you have with that sir at work "

" I saw you hanging on to that man's hand, didn't you?" ”

"If Navidu Putha finds out about these plays, you did not tell that child about the festival because of your plays, right?" ”

"No such thing, mother. "

"How can nothing be lost? Dad blamed you too "

“Don't go to work again. Help Dad's business with Navidu's son.”

“I can not. Mom, I like to do research

“Do not hurt our hearts.”

‘Sir call me again and work for Sir.”

“Imagine what we've died for.”

A few days after Nadeesha came home, Janith called Deyata on the phone.

" You didn't even lip-sync when you got home, did you? Did you forget me?" ”

" No, I always remembered that I thought talking would be a nuisance to Sir. "

"No problem, girl. The whole lab is empty without you. I'll pay you an allowance to come to my aid. "

" I want to work for Sir but he tells me not to leave home "

“ husband ”

“ No Mom ”

' Why Do They Say What? '

“Let's do their business”

“I'm coming to work, sir”

What in the world will be tomorrow?

 End

November 25, 2020 05:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.